Hi just a question about a battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I habe a Geek vape aegis solo and they use a 26650 bat, so I got one today but accidentally got the LiFePO4 3000mah I don't know the cdr or anything about it I got it from Jaycar which in Aus is like radioshack suppose there's tubs of unique electronics so no branding but I trust Jaycar. Anyway wanting to know what current do I need and would a 3.2v LiFePO4 be ok to use. Thanks to anyone who helps.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hi I habe a Geek vape aegis solo and they use a 26650 bat, so I got one today but accidentally got the LiFePO4 3000mah I don't know the cdr or anything about it I got it from Jaycar which in Aus is like radioshack suppose there's tubs of unique electronics so no branding but I trust Jaycar. Anyway wanting to know what current do I need and would a 3.2v LiFePO4 be ok to use. Thanks to anyone who helps.
No do not use. Radio shack batteries do NOT have the same chemistry as what is needed to run these mods and will explode if you try to use it. PLEASE dont even try. Serious damage to occur not only to your mod but possibly to you.

Use only batteries recommended by mooch here a ecf. Batteries and Chargers

No do not use. Radio shack batteries do NOT have the same chemistry as what is needed to run these mods and will explode if you try to use it. PLEASE dont even try. Serious damage to occur not only to your mod but possibly to you.

Use only batteries recommended by mooch here a ecf. Batteries and Chargers
Thank you I was sceptical as they weren't the same as my other being samsung inr or imr well I'll look else when I guess I'll try take them back.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The original Aegis allows for a 26650 cell or a 18650, 2x700 with the appropriate battery adapters. The Aegis Solo is restricted to an 18650 cell only.

The typical Li Ion cells we use for vaping charge up to 4.2 volts with a nominal voltage of roughly 3.6 – 3.7 volts. They can be discharged down to 2.5 volts but the majority of devices cut off operation at roughly 3.2 volts, well within a safe region.

LiFePO4 operates at a lower voltage. Max charge is 3.6 volts, they can be discharged downs to 2.0 volts and nominal voltage is 3.2 volts. So you can see the nominal voltage of a LiFePO4 already meets the cut off voltage of the average regulated device. Some devices such as DNA’s do have a LifePO4 settings which will allow the use of this cell.

Using a LiFePO4 in a regulated device doesn’t pose any risk. It just will not work, the device will display a low battery error despite we are using a fully charged battery. However, charging a LiFePO4 we need to ensure the charger has a LiFePO4 setting that will stop charging at 3.6 volts for exceeding this can be dangerous.

When choosing a battery, you need to ensure the cells CDR meets your usage. Take the batteries CDR rating, multiply that by 3 and that will give you the max wattage that battery can handle while reducing risk. So a 20 amp battery is good for up to 60 watts as an example. If using a device that houses multiple cells, multiply your answer by the amount of cells your device uses. 2x 20 amp batteries = 120 watts as an example.

Mooch has yet to update his recommended battery list for 26650 cells. But has tested a number of them recently.

Here’s a list of battery tests. And the recommended battery table has a list of trusted vendors.

List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thank you I was sceptical as they weren't the same as my other being samsung inr or imr well I'll look else when I guess I'll try take them back.
Your best bet is go to a vape shop. If they do not carry them they should know where to purchase. Also you may have to purchase from US. Visit the link I provided in my last post. Loads of suggestions as to where to purchase there, I believe. If not then post in that thread to ask.

:)

Reactions: Baditude

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Just noticed this post from Mooch which sums up his latest 26650 cell tests. The Aegis requires a different battery cap to allow 2x700 cells. Given the age of the Aegis, they might be difficult to find, but if you find one it maybe a worthy purchase (they are not expensive) for it will allow a greater choice in cells.

26650 Battery “Shootout” - How do they compare?

• Useful

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia

Jaycar sell many good things, i was there just yesterday for some CAT6 inline couplers, but batteries suitable for high drain devices like vape mods are not one of them.

Read everything linked to Mooch and about batteries, cant stress this enough

Theres enough kiddies out there in America with only 8 or 9 fingers, we dont need an Aussie joining the ranks :)

Whereabouts are you located, maybe i can point you to a vape store nearby for a proper battery

In Oz, the most common 18650's available at vape stores and online are:

Samsung 25R (2500maH) - Green in colour
Samsung 30Q (3000maH) - Pink in colour
LH HG2 (3000maH) - Brown in colour

In a single battery mod, youre really only making a choice between capacity MaH) or runtime as any of these batteries can do a max of about 60-70 watts safely, dont believe the 100W in the model name, dont believe what most manufacturers tell you, its the usual "more sounds better" marketing. Ive swapped between the LG HG2 and the Samsung 30Q over the years. If you have any doubt, pick the LG HG2 it has a little more CDR headroom than the others.

The members of our local home forum, PM me if you want the URL, trusts and uses the following Ebay seller if you do not have a vape store nearby. He has always done right by everyone who has bought from him, as in zero issues over years (He has a 100% ebay rating), and ive seen him go over and above many times. All his batteries are 100% genuine. Not always the case with online stores...and his prices are the same if not better than bricks and mortar stores, plus free postage for most if not all orders

supersports600 | eBay Stores

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Second DO NOT use radioshack batteries unless you'd like to be our next example of what NOT to do on the news.

Radioshack in fact has a couple of decently rated 18650 batteries. Just pay attention to the models and specification ratings.

Radio Shack 20A 2500mAh 18650...accurately rated but 25R is better, paper top ring

41cc31e1-6564-4e07-9ec1-642374b6bc8c-jpeg.768657

Radio Shack 15A 3000mAh 18650...accurately rated but 30Q is better, paper top ring

596459-77df3e7c06b06e19c7b5f9a60cab7081.jpg

Last edited:

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia

OP is in Australia, we havent had Radio Shack here for years, and JayCar doesnt carry directly comparable products. Almost all the cells they carry are NACCON etc which theres very little data on....and which we've had warnings about on our home forum, form people smarter than me on electrons

Oh wait , i found they do carry a Samsung 25R Greenie, which is $9 at most vape shop, but $21 at Jaycar.

So yup, original advice by many stands, dont buy batteries from them...

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to view:
http://www.thevaperstable.com/
Australia - New Zealand Forum
Might wish to fill in your avatar location Aus, it may help you in obtaining location specific information to your future question(s).
On the top right hand corner of this post you will find --"your name" next to "Inbox and Alerts"
Place the mouse pointer on your name,click. You will get a drop down and on the left hand side of this drop down you will find "Personal Details". Click Personal Details.
In Personal Details, in middle of screen in gray, you will find "Location" Could fill that box line in.
re: New users - Put your location in your Profile...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread