High-Wattage Vaping - Resistance Differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
That's some really interesting math...

So...

that answers some battery questions...

Maybe I should ask my other questions a different way -

Is there any difference between a 40-watt vape using a 1.2-ohm coil at 6.9 volts, and a 40-watt vape using a 0.44-ohm coil at 4.2 volts?

If the answer is no, then I'm afraid I've wasted everybody's time, but it gets kind of overwhelming around here, with people vaping all different resistances at similar wattages... I thought maybe there were different vape qualities involved with sub-ohm vs. not-sub-ohm (ohm-plus?).

1.2 ohms at 6.9 volts: amps = 6.9/1.2= 5.75 amps
0.44 ohms at 4.2 volts: amps = 4.2/0.44 = 9.55 amps.
big difference; they're both outputting the same power, but the smaller coil has to put it out in a smaller space; the smaller coil is going to be getting hotter, faster.
(The assumption here is that you're using the same roll of wire; if you'll juggling around with different wire gauges too, that's another major variable).

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I get sizzle at about 1 second with a single 28ga 2 ohm Kayfun coil at 7 watts. It's as much about coil mass as it is about resistance. The more coils you add, the more power it takes to heat them quickly (for the same resistance).

For an extreme example, you could have a 1 ohm length of 12 awg wire and never get an 18650 to make it glow.

Last edited:

ThrownClear

Apr 13, 2014
Chicago, IL
Yes about 25w on parallel 32 @ 1.4 ohm. And it gets hot fast.

The biggest thing one needs to consider is the wire gauge in relation to wattage and what it takes to heat that wire. Also the amount of that gauge wire you have to heat(wraps).

I think you will be surprised by how fast the 30g will heat and cool. And the amount of instant vapor you get with it.

JeremyR -

That is a lovely build - I have yet to try wrapping in parallel, though I've seen it done in build videos. I think I'll give this exact build a try using 30 gauge.

What are you using for wick? Some kind of organic cotton, I assume? ;)

Last edited:

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
The purest form of cellulose in the world. Rayon

The great thing about steam engines analytics is that builds can be compared in full for temp and heat up time.

Parallel is great, a little tricky but worth it.
Agreed, steam is awesome. I used to build and just try to basically guess at performance, once I discovered steam it changed everything. I can now play around and "try new builds"without ever actually building them and have a very very good idea of exactly how they will perform and 95 percent of the time the perform exactly how I expect them to.

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Readeuler - thank you for the reply!

At first you had me a little confused, because when you say "current", I was still thinking "voltage" - but of course by current, you mean amperage. This does indeed fit in with what I notice when I start plugging in different numbers into an Ohm's calculator.

So then I finally broke down and googled "Ummmm... what's an amp, exactly?"

I think the concepts of Watt vs. Volt vs. Amp are starting to sink in.

Still on my original topic, I think I once saw somebody post something about the great battery life you'd get if you built an 8 ohm coil, but that it would take forever to heat up. I'm still not sure I get how it all fits together, and I'm still wondering what kind of results non-sub-ohm, high-watt-device users are getting and what they recommend.

Believe me, I know all the answers are here on e-cig forum somewhere, but I'm having trouble figuring out just what keywords to search to find them. No luck so far. So, thanks again!

Until you get the hang of it perhaps this will help. http://invape.com/ohms-law-calculator/

Don

ThrownClear

Apr 13, 2014
Chicago, IL
The purest form of cellulose in the world. Rayon

Yeah... kind of had a feeling. I'm actually a big fan myself (both of the material and of the massive rayon thread you've got going on).

Attachments

• rayon.jpg
    rayon.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread