Not open for further replies.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Clapton coils the Amish way...

cc9904a944a85dfbd603d971c5b11594.jpg

I started off making clapton wire with a drill but found it cumbersome and prone to mistakes that were not easily fixed. I got sick of wasting wire and came up with this handcrank clapton jig. It's slow but you can stop at anytime and pick up again right where you left off without issue. I feel overlaps immediately and can easily pull the outer wire and reverse crank to backup and unwrap the bobble. I've been using this jig without fail for months, but it is definitely a "Version 1" and a little rough around the edges.

I've been posting pics of my jig for quite sometime but have never done a detailed view of it.

So without further ado...

The jig is constructed from 4" X 1/4" and 2" X 1/4" pine project board from Home Depot, they are sold in three foot lengths. The sides are 4" X 5", bottom is 4" X 15" and back support is 2" X 15". I used Gorilla Wood Glue and small 1" brads to nail and glue the wood together as in the pictures.

On the left side in the center of the end piece about 1 inch from the top, I screwed in a small eye hook to attach a ball bearing fishing swivel. The ball bearing fishing swivels are a necessity to ensure smooth operation without binding up.

260f155dff3de4d8c0afbb48b48a839c.jpg

On the right side, I drilled a hole just large enough for the top chimney of an old timey Kanger Evod coil to tightly fit through (I don't remember the drill bit size). I took a large steel paper clip and bent the outer loop straight, fed it through the hole then bent it to make the crank handle. The green "sleeve" is the outer wrap of some 14 gauge wire I had, not needed but makes it a little more comfortable to crank.

bf7637c85d144876db5cd049eb14c93e.jpg

9779520c4b612a6d504d062c3261db84.jpg

0879560c26ec2bae12b2aea2886dc857.jpg

Before I attach the wire to the jig, I hand straighten the core wire using these...

52aadd317b82405bf63c5ba20a67c1cb.jpg

I measure out a length of wire as long as the jig, then make two small loops on either end. I secure the metal "stick" (usually under my legs with the wire coming up between). I pull the wire tight and crank the wire for 15 seconds to take the curl out. (same tools I use to make twisted wire too)

f0b4896108be3e4bf0a90182d1d41f9b.jpg

With the wire straight I slide one end onto the paperclip crank, then fed the wire through the fishing swivel, pull tight, bend and twist it.

72a796842954f007094ca997b89b50c4.jpg

161a0c1452e6ae824468654ed164540c.jpg

I then use two small Dewalt wood clamps attached to the back support with a wood shish-kabob stick stuck in the ends for the outer wire spool to spin on. The Dewalt clamps have a small hole in the ends, perfect for the stick to fit in. I had to tightly roll a 1" strip of paper towel to stuff in the wire spool so it would ride evenly along the stick with some resistance.

ba8ef2409e0c0d81df0955694e0eee02.jpg

I attach the outer wire by putting the end through the fishing swivel then wrapping it around the end of the core wire.

93a460a133c44055005e644670ebcb21.jpg

Now to start wrapping! I pinch the outer wire between my thumb and index about an inch from the core wire, pull with some pressure (not enough to move the jig but enough to pull the core wire slightly toward you). I slowly crank clockwise as I carefully keep the outer wire in tight close wraps for an inch or two.

f31d24e4a1892e9d5bbf132f65d89b1b.jpg

Once I am far enough from the swivel, I pinch the outer wire just before it starts to wrap on the core wire and put some pressure on the point where it wraps with my index finger. Now I start cranking with more speed and following along as it wraps.

1107605e1ed2d9be271eb7382333d327.jpg

At points I have to stop cranking to move the spool further along the stick. At the end when I get about an inch from the crank, I have to hold the outer wire out like at the beginning and keep wrapping until the end where I crank the wire a few times around the loop to secure it. Cut the wire at the crank end then open the swivel to completely remove the 12 inches of completed clapton wire.

1342b430cabce2a01101962e401229d9.jpg

If the wraps begin to space out you can stop and use you fingernails to pull and tighten the outer wrap. If the outer wrap starts to overlap you can stop, pull the outer wire toward you as you reverse the crank and fix it. I can also stop at any time and it will stay tight and in place until I start again. I have also used this jig to make fused clapton wire and it works quite well.

I hope that this may give some people ideas. I know it can be improved upon and if anyone has a better idea for a crank I'd love to hear it, or any other ideas for improvements. I'd like to make a better "Version 2" jig sometime soon.

Last edited:

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
If you are reading this please refresh as pictures are being added by a separate device...

Clapton coils the Amish way...

[pic of jig]

I started off making clapton wire with a drill but found it cumbersome and prone to mistakes that were not easily fixed. I got sick of wasting wire and came up with this handcrank clapton jig. It's slow but you can stop at anytime and pick up again right where you left off without issue. I feel overlaps immediately and can easily pull the outer wire and reverse crank to backup and unwrap the bobble. I've been using this jig without fail for months, but it is definitely a "Version 1" and a little rough around the edges.

I've been posting pics of my jig for quite sometime but have never done a detailed view of it.

So without further ado...

The jig is constructed from 4" X 1/4" and 2" X 1/4" pine project board from Home Depot, they are sold in three foot lengths. The sides are 4" X 5", bottom is 4" X 15" and back support is 2" X 15". I used Gorilla Wood Glue and small 1" brads to nail and glue the wood together as in the pictures.

On the left side in the center of the end piece about 1 inch from the top, I screwed in a small eye hook to attach a ball bearing fishing swivel. The ball bearing fishing swivels are a necessity to ensure smooth operation without binding up.

[pic of swivel]

On the right side, I drilled a hole just large enough for the top chimney of an old timey Kanger Evod coil to tightly fit through (I don't remember the drill bit size). I took a large steel paper clip and bent the outer loop straight, fed it through the hole then bent it to make the crank handle. The green "sleeve" is the outer wrap of some 14 gauge wire I had, not needed but makes it a little more comfortable to crank.

[Pics of crank]

Before I attach the wire to the jig, I hand straighten the core wire using these...

[pic of straightener tools]

I measure out a length of wire as long as the jig, then make two small loops on either end. I secure the metal "stick" (usually under my legs with the wire coming up between). I pull the wire tight and crank the wire for 15 seconds to take the curl out. (same tools I use to make twisted wire too)

[pic of wire attached to tools]

With the wire straight I slide one end onto the paperclip crank, then fed the wire through the fishing swivel, pull tight, bend and twist it.

[pics of core wire attached]

I then use two small Dewalt wood clamps attached to the back support with a wood shish-kabob stick stuck in the ends for the outer wire spool to spin on. The Dewalt clamps have a small hole in the ends, perfect for the stick to fit in. I had to tightly roll a 1" strip of paper towel to stuff in the wire spool so it would ride evenly along the stick with some resistance.

[pic of outer spool]

I attach the outer wire by putting the end through the fishing swivel then wrapping it around the end of the core wire.

[pic of attached outer wire]

Now to start wrapping! I pinch the outer wire between my thumb and index about an inch from the core wire, pull with some pressure (not enough to move the jig but enough to pull the core wire slightly toward you). I slowly crank clockwise as I carefully keep the outer wire in tight close wraps for an inch or two.

[pic of first wraps]

Once I am far enough from the swivel, I pinch the outer wire just before it starts to wrap on the core wire and put some pressure on the point where it wraps with my index finger. Now I start cranking with more speed and following along as it wraps.

[pic of pinch]

At points I have to stop cranking to move the spool further along the stick. At the end when I get about an inch from the crank, I have to hold the outer wire out like at the beginning and keep wrapping until the end where I crank the wire a few times around the loop to secure it. Cut the wire at the crank end then open the swivel to completely remove the 12 inches of completed clapton wire.

[pic of finished wire]

If the wraps begin to space out you can stop and use you fingernails to pull and tighten the outer wrap. If the outer wrap starts to overlap you can stop, pull the outer wire toward you as you reverse the crank and fix it. I can also stop at any time and it will stay tight and in place until I start again. I have also used this jig to make fused clapton wire and it works quite well.

I hope that this may give some people ideas. I know it can be improved upon and if anyone has a better idea for a crank I'd love to hear it, or any other ideas for improvements. I'd like to make a better "Version 2" jig sometime soon.
Refreshed like 5 times & still no pics! sounds great but I'm a show me kinda guy!LOL!

Reactions: Btsmokincat

pevinsghost

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2015
St Louis, MO
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention. Thanks for the post.

I hand twist all my twisted wires because something always goes wrong with the drill, but two choice groups and 10 minutes gives perfect twists every time.

With this, Clapton may be worth trying.

Now I just need to figure out the advanced coil calculations on steam engine. Lol.

Reactions: Btsmokincat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread