Hookah Smoker Looking for a Good E-Cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hojo

Jul 27, 2010
Shreveport, LA
Hey there! I love the community that you guys have created around a niche hobby. As a member of an online hookah community, it hits really close to home.

I have been smoking hookah for 2 years, and cigarettes for maybe a year and a half. My cigarette smoking has always been an "I'll quit later!" kind of thing, but after talking to a friend who used E-Cigs to quit on his first try, I figured it was worth a shot.

The problem is, I don't like spending money on something if I have no idea what kind of deal I'm getting. That leads me here. I came to do some research, but I still have a few questions and hopefully you guys can give me some recommendations.

My hookah hobby comes into play when it comes to looking for an E-Cig. Shisha, for those who don't know, produces huge clouds of smoke with a very strong flavor and pretty strong nicotine content (well, the GOOD shisha, anyway). While I know exactly what to look for when it comes to hookah, I am lost when it comes to E-Cigs.

Is there a good E-Cig out there that produces at least decent-sized clouds and a really strong flavor? Also, since hookah has a variety of flavors, I want something that is easily refilled with e-juice so I'm not completely stuck with a single flavor (i.e. pre-filled carts don't really appeal to me). And, while I have heard that this is a "phase" that I will soon leave behind me, I want it to be roughly the same size and shape as an analog cigarette. Battery life isn't TOO terribly important. I know I can't have my cake and smoke it, too.

Also, I know there are a lot of shady sites out there, so links to reputable sites (for E-Cigs AND good, strong-flavored juice) are more than appreciated. I know it's asking for a lot, but even if any of you could give me a nudge in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

My lungs are in your hands, ECF. Thank you so much!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
For big clouds of vapor you'll want at least SOME VG in your juices - you can have 100% VG if you want but you'll lose TH if you exclude PG altogether. Bear in mind that not all suppliers will do 100% VG - I do think its a lot softer than a mix of the 2 and good if you dont want much TH or stronger flavors.
A small PV (ok Id say roughly the size of a 100 cig) with fairly short battery life (they do go together) is a 510 regular - I got mine from here in fact this kit Im linking (cheap and decent - good company too) Joye 510 NO BOX. That the basic kit although I got a PT with mine (seperately) cos I surf a lot :)
The better battery life is Joye eGo not a LOT bigger but the battery is slighly fatter (about the size of an AA battery in circumference)

As for juice - well - so many! lol
I HAVE seen one of the forum suppliers offers 'hookah' juices in lots of choices - its like the stuff used in a hookah but its not exactly the same - it just mimics the flavors but for the LIFE of me I can't find it to link it for you:(
If youre NOT looking for hookah flavor/type juices then Tasty Vapor does some really nice flavors, very popular vendor around these parts too, I use him myself. Id suggest you get at least 30% VG for LOTS of vapor though.
Hope that was some help
Welcome btw :)

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I think you may really like dripping with a 510.

The 510 is well-known for giving off lots of vapor, and drippers swear by the flavor. However, you do have to drip fairly frequently. 4 drops or so is equal to a cigarette, in terms of number of puffs. You can buy a drip tip to make dripping easier (you may like the curve of it too, it's somewhat like a tiny hookah tip). But, for going out or something, you can always use carts or cartomizers for longevity too.

If you want to drip, I'd also recommend you get a manual battery (button activated). the battery is sealed on the manuals, meaning if you flood the atty it can't drip into the battery and wreck it.

You can buy a kit for about $35, and you may want to play around with flavor samples or maybe even making your own juice.

ElectroNicStix sells the 510 kits, and they're great. I got my Kr808 there, and nothing but good things to say about them. :)

For juices, check out MyFreedomSmokes (I've bought from them - also great), Vapor Bomb, or Tasty Vapor. All have excellent reputations.

For DIY juice, check out One Stop DIY Shop. Excellent customer service and really good prices. I love them!

Welcome to ECF, and don't hesitate to ask questions!

Last edited:

Hojo

Jul 27, 2010
Shreveport, LA
Thank you guys so much! I was leaning toward the 510, as everyone here swears by it, but I was just making sure there wasn't something better out there for my needs before I pulled the trigger and bought this one.

Also, thanks for pushing me toward the hookah flavors. This site has mint (my favorite hookah flavor), so I may just be in heaven.

Could someone please quickly explain what dripping and cartos are, as well as the pros and cons of each, and whether I need to buy something special in order to do either/both of them?

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Dripping - which is my prefrrred method - is just putting a couple of drops of juice on the atty bridge, attaching a cart taht contains NO filler and using it as a mouthpiece and vaping. You can buy special tips to use instead of the empty carts (cignot have some on their site - Delrin tips) which mean you dont have to remove the tip to drip (it has a hole in the center for the juice to be added). You can also buy some sexy aluminum ones from Super T manufacturing.

Cartos are an atty and a cart in one. They offer convenience especially if you are out n about. You can also drip with those, buy them pre-filled, or fill blank ones (in the same way as carts) You can buy them for the 510 as well.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Thank you guys so much! I was leaning toward the 510, as everyone here swears by it, but I was just making sure there wasn't something better out there for my needs before I pulled the trigger and bought this one.

Also, thanks for pushing me toward the hookah flavors. This site has mint (my favorite hookah flavor), so I may just be in heaven.

Could someone please quickly explain what dripping and cartos are, as well as the pros and cons of each, and whether I need to buy something special in order to do either/both of them?

There are a couple kinds of e-cigs. A 3-piece, and a 2-piece.

A 3-piece has a battery, an atomizer, and a cart. You can use them by filling the cart with juice, and the atomizer will vaporize that way, or you can drip juice straight on to the atomizer.

Dripping has to be done more frequently than filling carts, but some people say the flavor is better.

People who drip often use drip tips, because it eliminates needing to remove the cart top every time they drip.

The 2-piece is a battery and a cartomizer. This is what I use (Kr808, but there's a cartomizer for the 510 too). This is where the atomizer and the cart are combined, with the atomizer running up the middle and vaporizing the liquid in the filler.

These go for much longer between needing to be refilled, but it's hard to switch flavors, and some people don't care for the taste while others love it.

I'm suggesting dripping because it's an easy way to mess with flavors, and people also tend to get a bit more vapor out of a 3-piece than a 2-piece.

Your 510 kit will probably come as a 3-piece, but you can purchase 510 cartomizers too. Handy for going out and not having time to drip or something. I believe they sell them on the site I referenced to you.

The cartomizers screw right on the battery, just like the atomizer would. Nothing special required.

Kahuna

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
San Francisco
as a long time hookah smoker (15+ years), I would suggest a 510. Start out with the cart it comes with for a few days to "season" the atty (like breaking in a new car). The smoke will be weak for the first few hours to a couple days. Then you can start messing with dripping tips and even swapping out the filler in carts (I used blue foam).

As far as liquid goes, it will be close but not quite like smoking your hookah. I smoke Tangiers normally (what the big boys smoke! hehe) and it's headier and far stronger than candy like Star Buzz/Fantasia/Social Smoke. VG gives clouds. Almost the ".... off clouds" we hookah smokers expect from shisha/mo'assel. But in Vaping, it lacks the transport PG has for flavor. Personally, I don't care about TH since TH in a hookah = harsh smoke. I care about flavor though. If a vendor doesn't offer a blend of PG and VG, I buy unflavored VG nic juice and add additional flavors. personally I like more VG than PG in a mix. So don't go looking for Blue Mist, Pink Lemonade, or Double Apple because it doesn't exist. But mint/menthol is very easy to find. I like mixing mint with just about everything except coffee/caramel/nut flavors. strictlyejuice.com has hookah line of samplers. For example their hookah grape tastes like naklah/al fakher grape rather than bubble gum/candy grape. I just wish it was 3 times stronger in taste.

You will find vaping is ... airier. Flavors will be weaker, but still tasty. You can buy flavorings to enhance e-juice, to kick up the flavor. But use too much, it will taste like you broke a sharpy pen in your mouth.

The draw will be hard, like drinking a McDonalds shake hard (sooo unlike a Narbish hose and a phunnel/vortex bowl). A mouth draw then inhale seems to be the right technique because of the constricted pull. Full body/hookah draw makes my throat burn and I swear will cause a blood vessel in my head to burst (hehe); oddly a lot of vapers like that throat burn.

Hope that helps, cheers.

jetracer06

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I started a month go and I went with a Kr808 b/c it looks really close to analogs.. If you really want the closest size to an actually cigarette then the Shortys from vapor4life.com would suite you. They're more on the hassle free side as far as carts and atomizers go i think..
As far as flavors go... at first, I didn't care about the flavors, I just wanted a good tobacco flavor and menthol flavor... When i receive my stuff, there were some free flavors that were thrown in compliments of V4L.com.. After trying the Kiwi Apple Strawberry I was a changed man.. It really surprised me at how much it tasted like a hookah.. It also had a more than expected vapor delivery.. although every flavor has a different vapor amount..(from my exp) It was very clean tasting and fruitfull at the right amount.
Been a hookah smoker for long time, I can say kinda like my vape better.. not water or sticky tobacco to mess with.. no coals to heat and foil to wrap up.. I got an over 3.5 ft titanium hookah that I probably won't use anymore.. neways you could always get empty carts with different fruit flavors and make ur own blends to substitute ur hookah smoking.. jus my two cents.. good luck yo

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
As a fellow (albeit very occasional) hookah user, I have to mention that you can get KR808-D1 batteries and a 901 atomizer to work with them as well. The 510 (which I haven't used personally) tends to create more vapor and is "warmer" than the 901, but the 901 produces more flavor (so I've heard). You can drip on the 901 just like the 510. I have found that a 901 gives a fairly reasonable comparison in "feel" and "taste" to a hookah, though you'll never get the same visible results you get from a hookah.

mikebill23

Moved On
Jul 28, 2010
nyc
  • Deleted by ejoker
  • Reason: unreg supplier

SalientOrange

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Texas
there u go with speical 20% coupon:
20JUL10