How can I avoid catching on fire from my battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLsport

Jun 19, 2011
MO
After reading the battery sticky above (the one with the pictures on the toasted battery), I'm growing paranoid about my own device, and I didn't see any clear cut yes/no answers in that thread.

I'm not sure what kind of batteries I have, but I have the joye 510, and these are the devices I bought:

Joye 510 PCC Kit - Electronic Cigarettes Starter kit Joye 510 Portable Pack

and

e Cigarette Joye510 Manual Battery Now you can select Joye 510 automatic

Are these the "safe" batteries? And what can I do exactly to make sure I'm safe (example: charge/don't charge over night, keep on charger or in charging case X hours at a time, etc.)

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Those batteries are generally safe, even if you charge them overnight. I have eGo and Riva batts that are charged overnight and haven't had a problem in 10 months.

The batteries you read about are for mods, and yes, they do sometimes have meltdowns. Sometimes it's because the mod was in a pocket or purse, the button was activated and the mod got hot. Sometimes it's because the batteries aren't really what they say they are. There have been some counterfeit batteries being passed around and these can be dangerous. Those of us who vape mods also understand that we should only use PROTECTED or SAFE CHEMISTRY batteries, which generally won't blow up or start on fire in the event of a meltdown.

Your batteries are protected from overcharging by the cutoff in the charger. Once the light turns green, they stop charging. If you still have concerns, then don't charge them overnight or when you're away from home.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
They should be fine. You got manual batteries like I have, I leave them on the charger all night (except for one that's my overnight battery). I use a PCC too.

Auto batteries can sometimes turn themselves on from wind or vibration. Manuals don't have that problem.

The only caveat is don't buy weird clone brands of slim 510 because at least one is reverse polarity and will fry in a real joye 510 charger and vice versa. Also, there are some "name" models like Blu which have 510-compatible threads but are reverse polarity. If you stick with joye 510 and Joye 510 xl manuals you should not have any problems on chargers or off except in the very rare case where someone gets a defective charger. I have 5 510 charger cables and zero problems.

I think that article in the sticky threads shows a mod with a battery that vented. Mods use removeable AA-shape (but not AA) industrial batteries. Some people buy unprotected ones because they don't know any better or want to risk it for the longer charge. But the unprotected ones can have big problems because they have no circuit to protect them from overcharging or over-discharging and that is dangerous. 510 is protected.

Last edited:

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I think you're worrying just a little too much. There is no such thing as a perfectly safe, guaranteed not to blow up battery but the occasional blow up is very rare. If you use protected batteries you are about as safe as you can get. The batteries in your 510 are protected and your charger that came with the kit will automatically shut off when the battery is charged. It's never a good idea to leave a charging battery unattended though just in case.

Tarnacc

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2011
south texas
I am completely new to this. (see post count) so I pretty much know nothing about the gear in question. However, I have been a firefighter/emt for 17 years and I have never seen anyone injured by a battery in a phone, e-cigarette, key-fob, camera, or anything else one might put a battery in and then place in a pocket. Consider also that includes firemen who carry those devices into burning buildings.

The rechargeable batteries in e-cigs use the same technology (and usually the same voltage) as the battery in your cell phone. Generally if you don't have a problem with your cell phone exploding, you shouldn't have trouble with your e-cig either.

Where you CAN have a problem with batteries is if you stack 2 or more "unprotected" batteries in a mod to get higher voltage, but if you're just using regular 510 batteries, as long as you don't light it, it should not catch fire! ;)

Olef

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
UK
All ecig batteries are lithium based which are high energy cells. When a lithium cell goes bad it will vent violently and with flame and / or explosion.

I collect high power LED flashlights so do know a little about lithium batteries.

Never ever leave a lithium cell charging unattended and absolutely never overnight.

Always charge lithium cells on a hard surface away from flammables.

Always remove cells from the charger as soon as it indicates full charge.

At the first sign of damage or defect retire the cell and dispose of safely according to your local regulations.

I don't want to scare anyone, most people will never suffer a problem with a lithium battery but everyone who uses them should be aware of their dangers. When they go wrong, they go wrong fast and they go wrong with flames and often explosion.

Even using top quality cells and chargers safe practices should be followed. With the cheap junk cells and chargers in the ecig world extra vigilance is required.

And please never ever leave these things charging overnight while you, your children and your pets sleep.

Olef

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
UK
The rechargeable batteries in e-cigs use the same technology (and usually the same voltage) as the battery in your cell phone. Generally if you don't have a problem with your cell phone exploding, you shouldn't have trouble with your e-cig either.

Cell phone batteries as a rule are contained so that if they go bad they cannot vent dangerously. Ecig cells have no such protection and nothing like the sophisticated and expensive circuitry on a phone and it's charger to protect the cells.

Here's an article - http://www.buchmann.ca/article28-page1.asp

Note the exploded cell phone pic!

More info on lithium battery issues - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...d-Close-Calls-The-dangerous-side-of-batteries

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread