How can you tell where the "fire" button is ? - looking for a new mod...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
... all tube mech mods are going to have a bottom firing button.

Not true. I have a Poldiac and bOd Mecha, neither of which have a bottom firing button. However, I do agree that a regulated mod is a better choice for a beginner and the forum gives better advice on what mod to buy than most B&Ms.

Last edited:

GoBlue88

Jul 10, 2015
Haven't had mine for long but I'm really liking my iStick TC 40W. Bought it for tasting but liking it more and more for all day use. Side firing button, variable wattage. Temp control too but I haven't played with that much.
View attachment 480548

+1 for @Baditude's PBusardo recommendation. I also recommend Pauly Meatballs. Great HD photos of the products from several angles and short reviews that allow you to easily view a large number of them in one sitting to narrow down your choices. Then you can go to PBusardo, Mark Todd, Rip Trippers, etc., for more comprehensive reviews.

Twins! Well almost, I have the 30w (same size). I never run it above 20 watts tho.
8ecbbe990a453cac85a4cba66c179995.jpg

GoBlue88

Jul 10, 2015
Yeah and at 8-10 watts and not knowing your devices you received a couple of good pieces of advice

A)get a regulated mod (like an I stick 30w or istick 40w, both of which are the same size.

B)stay away from B&M stores. Easy 30-50% markup. Also, lots of false and even dangerous information is doled out at B&M stores.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Not true. I have a Poldiac and bOd Mecha, neither of which have a bottom firing button. However, I do agree that a regulated mod is a better choice for a beginner and the forum gives better advice on what mod to buy than most B&Ms.

I knew when I typed that someone was going to correct me LOL. I only own one crappy tube mech and I'm not into mechs that much but at least 99.9% of the ones I have seen have bottom firing buttons. I do remember seeing one either here on on youtube that had a side button.

Reactions: The Ocelot

Inni

ECF Veteran
    Oct 29, 2014
    Pasadena, California, US
    :):):);):thumb::):):):)
    As far as I know there are no regulated mods with bottom firing buttons and if it is a regulated mod then you should also have an LED or OLED display on it. But my guess is you bought a mech mod.

No offense, but you sound like too much of a noob to be using a mech mod and it sounds like what you were looking for was a regulated mod. If, on the other hand, you were looking for a mech mod, then you need to buy a box mech mod as all tube mech mods are going to have a bottom firing button.

Next time, come here and ask questions before you buy something. If you bought it at a local B&M, bring it back and tell them you did not want a mech and demand they exchange it for a regulated mod. If you are an 8-10 watt vaper, I would suggest going with an iStick 20W or 30W. I also suggest you just buy online because most B&M shops rape you, but I am biased because all the B&Ms in my area aren't worth buying from.

Thank you.

The good news is, I purchased the bottom fire mod online, and they were very nice. I was able to return it for a pen style. The bad news is, I have had some bad luck with the pens. I have 5 or 6 and none of them work very well.

I have since switched to the Kangertech subox mini - and I am very pleased. I know I am new at this, but I am having fun learning.

crxess - thank you very much! I increased the air flow and reduced suction a bit and it seems to be helping.

I have taken all the advice and watched a lot of you tube videos this weekend. :)

Inni

ECF Veteran
    Oct 29, 2014
    Pasadena, California, US
    Thanks to everyone for taking time to offer advice and help. I am going to keep reading and learning and watching you tube reviews before I purchase another mod.

I can't believe how expensive the shop near my house is compared to some of the links I have found here. I will be buying all my supplies online from now on!

Reactions: Mooch

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 10, 2014
    Garden Grove, CA, USA
    www.facebook.com
    Thank you! Great advice, and I will check out PBusardo.

Thanks all for your feedback/advice!

I have to admit, I'm peeking in at work - so I can't watch You Tube .... or at least, I can't listen to it. :p

I will have to wait until I get home to research! :2cool:
    I would also suggest the iStick TC 40W and it is a very simple and small TC or wattage mode mod for around $30. It is hard to beat it for simplicity, functionality, and price point.

Reactions: Inni

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Unfortunately MMV will no longer be making Poldiacs (side fire mech). I'm the lucky owner of two.

Atmizoo makes several, but may also be discontinuing some due to the economic crisis in Greece.

However, a regulated mod does best suit a new vaper if s/he isn't already well versed in Ohm's Law and battery safety. OP, there are a ton of mods to choose from these days. And prices have really come down.

Inni

ECF Veteran
    Oct 29, 2014
    Pasadena, California, US
    Unfortunately MMV will no longer be making Poldiacs (side fire mech). I'm the lucky owner of two.

Atmizoo makes several, but may also be discontinuing some due to the economic crisis in Greece.

However, a regulated mod does best suit a new vaper if s/he isn't already well versed in Ohm's Law and battery safety. OP, there are a ton of mods to choose from these days. And prices have really come down.

Yes! I have no idea about the Ohms Law and Battery safety - and will be sticking with regulated for some time! Like you said, there are Lots to choose from! :thumb:

Reactions: vjdossey

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2014
    Maryland
    Yes! I have no idea about the Ohms Law and Battery safety - and will be sticking with regulated for some time! Like you said, there are Lots to choose from! :thumb:
    People here make it seem like this is a big deal and unregulated is only for the vapers with long-time experience. But, in fact, there is very little to learn (would take 10 minutes) and is something that all vapers should briefly study, especially if you are interested in vaping as more than a means to an end.

Reactions: Inni

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2014
    Maryland
    Thanks, Dave :thumb:

I haven't decided what vaping means to me, beyond staying off tobacco cigs. That is my first priority - and I still get cravings now and then. The more fun I have with vaping, the less likely I am to revert to old habits - I'm thinking. :D

I hope I'm right!
    Well, if its just something you do only because it is an acceptable alternative to tobacco smoke, then you probably don't want to be bothered with the more advanced stuff. But if you get to a point where this is what you prefer to do not just because it is similar to smoking but because it is its own unique thing, then your interest will motivate you to pursue more. I guess it all comes down to how much effort you want to put in and whether or not you enjoy that effort.

But the battery safety principles and ohms law is trivial elementary stuff that is useful to know when working with any type of device.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    ...all tube mech mods are going to have a bottom firing button.
    "Most", not all.

The mech mod which I use and recommend for value and safety is the AltSmoke Silver Bullet. It has a recessed side fire button making it nearly impossible to autofire accidentally due to inadvertently pressing the fire button in a pocket or purse. It's fire button is also specially designed as a vent hole in case the battery goes into thermal runaway. Most mech mods have the vent hole drilled into the bottom battery cap; batteries almost always vent from the top of the battery, not the bottom. Batteries can swell in size when they vent, blocking the gas from escaping to the bottom of the mod and thus creating a pipe bomb.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread