How many of you are using LR cartomizers on your cigalikes? I would like to get a discussion going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I am defining a LR cartomizer as 2.0 ohms and lower.

I am defining a cig-a-like as 9.5mm in diameter and under. These would include KR808, 510, 306, and a laundry list of other devices. Myself I would like it to be about batteries 65mm in length and under but I think all are fair game.

I would like to know what you have experienced and what voltage you were running at be it regulated at 3.2v, 3.7, unregulated and so on.

Safety issues are more than welcome.

I found this thread interesting but it was model specific.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-resistance-cartomizers-kr808-fact-dogma.html

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I was using 1.8 ohm 510 atomizers on my cigalike for a short period of time.
There was another good thread on that subject, but I can't find it now.

Suffice to say that it seemed fine to me, but I was aware that it was supposedly straining the battery.
I figured that was fine for my purposes, but your mileage may vary.

As for the concern over the dangers of straining a cigalike battery, I was not particularly worried.
If a cigalike gets overly strained, it will just go poof instead of boom.

At least that was how I understood it, and it was a chance I was willing to take.
But if anyone thinks it is a danger, then a correction would certainly be appropriate at this time.

Regardless, I use Ego Twist now, so this is a subject I haven't paid any attention to in years.
:)

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
I have a bunch of Boge LR 510 (2.0Ω) cartos but have never tried a cigalike or disposable. So just for curiosity, I've got a Joyetech 510 65 mm 3.3V automatic battery and charger on order, just for the experience. I'll come back here and let you know how it goes. We're only talking about 5-1/2 watts of coil power, so I'm not expecting much.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I have a bunch of Boge LR 510 (2.0Ω) cartos but have never tried a cigalike or disposable. So just for curiosity, I've got a Joyetech 510 65 mm 3.3V automatic battery and charger on order, just for the experience. I'll come back here and let you know how it goes. We're only talking about 5-1/2 watts of coil power, so I'm not expecting much.

Panda has some regulated 3.7v 510 batteries.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I do know that for more performance going to a larger sized unit is the best route.

There are times that the smallest of devices can be nice to have for some people.

There is often the argument that you cannot get big battery performance out of a cigalike, I agree with this and don't have a problem with that statement.

It does not mean that the maximum performance safetly possible out of the smallest of devices is not worth while.

I do not expect to achieve the performance I get out of a VV device and will not get a hands free tool out of it.

I think the cigalike is the most portable thing out there, I would like to see it be the best it can possibly be for those time when only the smallest will do.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
I'm looking forward to your results, John. I'm sorta interested in finding out just how bad was it in the bad old days of vaping. :) I'll probably pick up a Joyetech SR atomizer and some of those cartridges to try. May even try the tea bags and blue foam. :laugh: But I also want to see how well this thing'll work as a stealth vape and if it'll deliver at least enough nic to get me by for a couple of hours doing that.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
I'm going to chime in even though I don't think I'll be answering your question really. I bought a Blu starter kit two months ago to quit the butts. I moved on very fast to bigger and better things but I still play with the Blu batteries to switch up the flavors. The batteries are the small ones (I think I read once they are around 80mah and 3.7 volts but I could be completely wrong) and I use them to power 2.4 Ohm Ce3 clearomizers and a 2.5 Ohm bridgeless dripping atty from Discount Vapers. The little blu's power both of these pretty well and I get good flavor and vapor. They last about as long as they did with the OEM carts (which is to say not very long).

Just thought I'd throw out there what I do with a couple of little 510 batteries...

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
I usually use the little Nano clearos on my 510 manual stick batteries. I put one on an ohm meter yesterday and got 1.8Ω which kind of surprised me. That doesn't mean they're all the same though. I like them for the little batteries since they're the same size and have no visible wick.

Small hijack... I bought a vision nano to try out a couple of weeks ago, I like the looks and filling from the top was a plus but how the hell do you fill the thing so it doesn't leak??? I tried twice and both time it spit it's guts out all over two batteries. :mad:

The first time I filled it very slow but the second time I covered the bottom hole with my finger and filled it as fast as I could and sealed it. Both times ended in disaster.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I'm going to chime in even though I don't think I'll be answering your question really. I bought a Blu starter kit two months ago to quit the butts. I moved on very fast to bigger and better things but I still play with the Blu batteries to switch up the flavors. The batteries are the small ones (I think I read once they are around 80mah and 3.7 volts but I could be completely wrong) and I use them to power 2.4 Ohm Ce3 clearomizers and a 2.5 Ohm bridgeless dripping atty from Discount Vapers. The little blu's power both of these pretty well and I get good flavor and vapor. They last about as long as they did with the OEM carts (which is to say not very long).

Just thought I'd throw out there what I do with a couple of little 510 batteries...

I thought the Blu was running at 3.2v.

I still have a couple of Blu's here and I thought they never performed that well.

Joye 510 batteries are regulated to 3.2v so don't have much punch, there are some that are regulated to 3.7 like the Panda's.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I was using 1.8 ohm 510 atomizers on my cigalike for a short period of time.
There was another good thread on that subject, but I can't find it now.

Suffice to say that it seemed fine to me, but I was aware that it was supposedly straining the battery.
I figured that was fine for my purposes, but your mileage may vary.

As for the concern over the dangers of straining a cigalike battery, I was not particularly worried.
If a cigalike gets overly strained, it will just go poof instead of boom.

At least that was how I understood it, and it was a chance I was willing to take.
But if anyone thinks it is a danger, then a correction would certainly be appropriate at this time.

Regardless, I use Ego Twist now, so this is a subject I haven't paid any attention to in years.
:)

Was the battery one of the 3.2v Joye or another brand at 3.7 or an unregulated type? How well did the 1.8 cartomizers work out?

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I'm looking forward to your results, John. I'm sorta interested in finding out just how bad was it in the bad old days of vaping. :) I'll probably pick up a Joyetech SR atomizer and some of those cartridges to try. May even try the tea bags and blue foam. :laugh: But I also want to see how well this thing'll work as a stealth vape and if it'll deliver at least enough nic to get me by for a couple of hours doing that.

No you're not. :D

Maybe you will, but doubtful. :)

Absolutely try the bea tags and flue boam. ;)

:lol:

I started with a 510 cigalike. Welp, I started with a handful of them knowing the battery life would be shooooooo-rt. I used to gauge my outings to make sure I could be home in 45 minutes to an hour... can't believe I stayed with vaping!

That said, I still have a few little guys around. There are still days, yes, even at this point, that I just want a cig feeling device. Usually 2 hits on it and I'm back to Provari or DNA20 land.

Apologies to the OP. I cannot recall if I ever used an LR atty on them. I used whatever atty was in the box. Yes, the starter kits used to come with atomizers (not rebuildable ones... stock atomizers with cartridges). Oh Joye. ;)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
If you use the cig-a-like for "the feel of a cig" once in a while, fine. But most of them have such a short use duration to begin with, using the LR stuff shortens the duration even more. And stresses the battery. So there may be some risk of increasing battery problems.

If you take your chances, and don't use them for all-day vaping, I'd try it. Maybe get some different ones. Pay attention to voltage because it varies. Also more mAh = more amps delivered = hotter vape with the lower ohms, theoretically. How much more and how stress effects it all....your guess is as good as mine.

Chances are that it can't deliver the amps because it's too small. But if that's true, it's stressed and heating up and probably going to go poof sometime. (guess)

I'd REALLY consider charging them in a super-safe manner...like a charging bag...if I deliberately stressed them.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
No you're not. :D

Maybe you will, but doubtful. :)

Absolutely try the bea tags and flue boam. ;)

:lol:

I started with a 510 cigalike. Welp, I started with a handful of them knowing the battery life would be shooooooo-rt. I used to gauge my outings to make sure I could be home in 45 minutes to an hour... can't believe I stayed with vaping!

That said, I still have a few little guys around. There are still days, yes, even at this point, that I just want a cig feeling device. Usually 2 hits on it and I'm back to Provari or DNA20 land.

Apologies to the OP. I cannot recall if I ever used an LR atty on them. I used whatever atty was in the box. Yes, the starter kits used to come with atomizers (not rebuildable ones... stock atomizers with cartridges). Oh Joye. ;)

I use my Provari 90% of the time. I found there were times when I wanted an automatic because of was doing things with both hands or the Provari was more than I wanted to carry with me. I did some backsliding and smoked analogs during those times.

I had gotten rid of most of my cigalike stuff but found a few strays. The cigalikes that I had kept me from using analogs during hands free times but were not satisfying. I got some middle sized devices that helped but still used the cigalikes when I was being very active even tough I might have a Provari in my pocket.

I don't think any cigalike will satisfy me but I can try and get it as close to that threshold as possible. Sometimes size, weight, and hands free count for me. When I am at my desk the only thing I will use is a Provari. At home I would say the Provari gets 98% of the usage but there are times when I am still using both hands doing other things.

The things I have been trying are better than what I have gotten out of starter kits. A 3.7v cigalike with a 2ohm cartomizer is miles ahead of the other cigalikes. No it is not a Provari and never will be but it is better than the standard cigalikes. I have a feeling all 2ohm cartomizers are not going to be the same and I think all the 3.7v cigalikes batteries are not going to be the same either. There will be some efficiency loss and all of that is not getting to the coil. I also want to investigate how save it is going into 1.8 ohm the 1.8 ohm category.

I am not looking for a replacement for my Provari's. Just looking to make the cigalikes perform the best they can within the bounds of safety.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
The Redds brand 808 ecigs were 3.7v regulated 150mah autobats and came with Redds branded 2.0ohm cartos and worked quite well. I still use mine for hands free vaping while driving and such, but the cartos do not seem to be available any more. Oh well, plenty of other vape-gear anyway.

How long are those 150mah batteries?

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
If you use the cig-a-like for "the feel of a cig" once in a while, fine. But most of them have such a short use duration to begin with, using the LR stuff shortens the duration even more. And stresses the battery. So there may be some risk of increasing battery problems.

If you take your chances, and don't use them for all-day vaping, I'd try it. Maybe get some different ones. Pay attention to voltage because it varies. Also more mAh = more amps delivered = hotter vape with the lower ohms, theoretically. How much more and how stress effects it all....your guess is as good as mine.

Chances are that it can't deliver the amps because it's too small. But if that's true, it's stressed and heating up and probably going to go poof sometime. (guess)

I'd REALLY consider charging them in a super-safe manner...like a charging bag...if I deliberately stressed them.

The checking I am doing is showing they are not exceeding the maximum discharge rate. I think I am just shortening how many times they can be recharged before they die.

I read that Halo is now offering 2.0 ohm cartomizers for their cigalikes but don't know how efficient they are at getting heat to the coil.

Last edited:

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
They are 55mm not counting the 808 threads -- pretty small and light. And one battery will generally last me for the two hour drive to my friends ranch (alternating between puffing the ecig and sipping coffee).

A ranch :). Do you ever work round up? Not sure if it is the same there are here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread