Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yep. Had a friend staying at my place last week. She asked me to grab her a packet of cigs while I was doing the grocery shop. Packet of Bensen and Hedges 25 cost $40.50. I nearly fell over! Thank god I vape and DIY.

Wow, that's expensive! I can't help but think that makes a black market extremely likely to develop. Is this happening at all in Australia?

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I DIY my juice and spend about $20 a month or So on juice.... or a 40 to 50 dollar supply order every 3 or 4 months.

This IS the answer if one wants to hold e-juice cost to a minimum.:thumbs:

Those new to vaping doesn't use a lot at first, mainly due to lower powered devices or starter kits. However, as time passages, these devices often are a starting point, many moves on to higher powered devices & tanks or RBA's running at low ohms.

Both of which uses more e-juice & battery life (another expense to plan for).:)

If I had to purchase all of the e-juice consumed within a month & this is at my supplier's main low prices (I still purchase one from him), the bill would be over $100 easily, maybe $125. However, since I have stock on flavors, nicotine base, VG, a bit of PG for thinning when needed, liquid sucralose (main ingredient of Splenda), this greatly lowers my expense.

Of course, it took 2-3 months to begin to 'see' the savings, now I only buy what I need when on promo to stay stocked. For the first 4 years I was vaping, was purchasing all of my e-juices, the last year had to ration or use lower powered devices to keep the cost under $60 when getting from my supplier. I've just began dabbling in DIY e-juice making this year & should had long ago, would've needed a chest freezer just for the purpose if I had & most likely probably will get one later this year/early next.:)

The sooner you begin DIY e-juice making, the sooner you'll be saving & have more cash for mods, batteries, or whatever you desire. If I had it to do all over again, would had got into DIY e-juice no later than the beginning of 2015, 3 years sooner & reaped the benefits.

There's many here that'll happily assist you along the way, yet you have to be the one to make the leap. That is, if you want keep e-juice spending to a minimum.

Good Luck!:)

Cat

Wow, that's expensive! I can't help but think that makes a black market extremely likely to develop. Is this happening at all in Australia?
It has been a black economy here for yonks, ever since the Gov, in their infinite wisdom, banned the growing of tobacco commercially and regulatedly. It's called "Chop chop" here and it is vile as I remember from my combustion driven slow suicide days. The Gov have recently nutted out it's been a 'black market bonanza' and they've missed out taxing it so they're chucking $$$$$ at it in law enforcement. Fed law too! It's a big deal.

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
Yeah australia has some hard laws regarding tax on ciggies, recently they ban plastic bags in supermarkets :( The pollies have been talking of introducing higher tax on e-cig stuff including juice. :( I hope this country turns around for the better.

I still remember the day when I first bought my pack of ciggies for $2.50. You can see how much tax we pay now days.

Last edited:

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018

You're right there is a growing black market on ciggies. I quit ciggies 6 months ago, and yes I bought some dark ciggies :D awhile back. I moved on to vaping because the blackmarket stuff tasted horrible, and still wasn't cheap.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It has been a black economy here for yonks, ever since the Gov, in their infinite wisdom, banned the growing of tobacco commercially and regulatedly. It's called "Chop chop" here and it is vile as I remember from my combustion driven slow suicide days. The Gov have recently nutted out it's been a 'black market bonanza' and they've missed out taxing it so they're chucking $$$$$ at it in law enforcement. Fed law too! It's a big deal.

Thanks for the response Cynophobe. I hope they figure things out before it gets worse.

• Agree
Reactions: Possum64

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You're right there is a growing black market on ciggies. I quit ciggies 6 months ago, and yes I bought some dark ciggies :D awhile
back

I did the same the last few years before I switched to vaping. Saved a lot of money, but vaping is still way better :)

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Yeah australia has some hard laws regarding tax on ciggies, recently they ban plastic bags in supermarkets :( The pollies have been talking of introducing higher tax on e-cig stuff including juice. :( I hope this country turns around for the better.

I still remember the day when I first bought my pack of ciggies for $2.50. You can see how much tax we pay now days.

Tax ecigs? Does that mean they'll legalize nicotine ecigs to tax them?

Reactions: Mowgli

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
a packet of marlboro in singapore is $13.00. and i consume a pack a day. one month of ciggy expenses paid for my vape hardwares, the second month ciggy expenses paid for my juices for the next 3 months. no wonder it wont get legalized. never.

That's how I looked at ecig expenses both in 2009 when I only stuck with it long enough that I didn't spend as much on cigarettes as I did on ecigs, and in 2012 when I'd spend a month's worth of smoking expense on ecigs stocking up on stuff.

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
I was smoking 2 packs of 305 Menthol Lights a day at $3.75 a pack or around $2700 a year.

Just on juice, my highest was around $250 for the year. I spend maybe $50 a year on a couple more Eleaf Air tanks and a couple packs of coils to rebuild. I was a juice tester for about 4 months this year so that saved me a little juice $. We are half way through the year and I've only spent about $80 so far this year. I vape about 7 ml a day.

Using coils you can rebuild will save you a ton of money as will finding a good economy juice house
like Ohm's vapes and waiting for his oft held sales. 20% off now for July 4th. I haven't bought juice anywhere else in almost 3 years now. He is just a liitle more money than DIY. He usually ships the same day you order.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

lp009

Jul 2, 2018
I started smoking cigs at 15. Started smoking cigars at 22. Flip-flopped back & forth every few yrs until I was 32. Then I smoked cigars exclusively for the next 21yrs. I was a cigar collector.. an aficionado. Five humidors, 1200+ cigars that I tended to like any gardener would tend to their prize winning flowers. $3-600/month was my cigar budget.
Then the kids came... major hit to disposable income and my "free" time. Went from smoking 5-6 cigars/day to 2/day. Monthly cigar budget dropped to $125-175/month. 15yrs later.. my sons asked me to quit. I was already thinking the same, but I truly enjoyed my cigars and my alone time while I smoked my two-a-day. I had tried e-cigs many years before, when they first came out, and almost died coughing a lung up!

Obviously, in the 10+ years since that first e-cig exp, things had changed...
From Nov '16 (start vaping) to Aug '17 (first DIY NET ready to vape) I was spending about $30-40+/month on N.E.T. juice.

In Jul '17 I decided to try making my own NETs. I still had a few cigars in the humidor from my final cigar order in Oct '16. I bought qts of VG/PG, nicotine, scale and canning jars. And the journey began.
Since Aug '17 I've been vaping my NETs exclusively...
....(well, 95%... as I sometimes add a bit of commercial ejuice that I bought before I started making NETs, to my own NETs just for a different flavor).

5-6 cigars - $20-24
VG/PG - $30-32 (still haven't finished my first two qts)
100/mg NIC - $15

I vape about 30-45ml/week. The 5-6 cigars I started with Aug '17 have provided 95% of the juice I've vaped in the last 10 months. THAT'S F'ING AMAZING! $65-71 for 10 months of juice and I still have enough left for at least 2 more months.

$65-71 is HALF what my ONE MONTH cigar budget was!

$65-71 is going to be my one year cost for DIY NET juice vs. $1500-2100/yr for cigars!

That's about 4-5%... a 95% reduction in cost.

Damn! Wish this had come out 35yrs ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread