how thick should e-liquid be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuickyRicky

Jul 3, 2010
im fooling with making some homemade e-liquids. currently im using soem i made and there smoking great. but im a newbie and dont wanna clog my atty. if i rub a drop between my fingers it leaves a oily type feel. but its not 100% vg. in my mixes i use roughly 75% vg and 25% flavor mixed with alcohol. but beeing i have never bought real e-liquid before im not sure what thickness is right. any help would be great ;)

Infernal2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
The Oil Coast, AL
Most i've found are oily (due to both the PG/VG and the Lorann Oils) but the thickness entirely depended on the content of the e-liquid. Some of the higher VG content e-liquids I've used were a little thinner than dawn soap. The lower content were as thick as say, hydraulic fluid, and the high PG content was very thin, like hot or warm WD40.

Can you tell I do alot of manual labor? ;)

QuickyRicky

Jul 3, 2010
yes lol. but i cant tell if mine is right. to make it as basic as possible, lets just say i use 75% VG with 25% water. is that about right, more or less? NONE of my mixes use more then 75% VG. is that good? to much? to little? i dont want exact numbers. just wanna know where is about right. a good way to respond would be. just using vg and water. so if u say add 3ml of vg and 1ml of water that would be a 75/25 mix. which is what im doing. i just wanna know how much VG should be in there, since its what is thickening it up. but i also dont want it to thin, iv heard horror stories of e liquid when its to thin.

Last edited:
There is no "right" thickness. I used 100% VG when i started and it was real thick. 100%PG is watery. I now use a 50/50 mix. Even at 100% vg, i never clogged an atty to where it wouldnt work. Once I went to cartos, i switched to the 50/50 for ease of filling the carto.

Your 75/25 mix will be fine.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Pure VG does make tons of fog but very little throat hit. It is also very sweet. Not a bad thing if you are looking for a sweet blend.

Many people who use VG dilute it in something like a 4:1 ratio with water. 4 parts VG, 1 Part water.

You can also add throat hit to a VG mix by adding a few drops of Vodka or Rum

Pure PG hits hard but with little vapor. 50:50 is a good blend and it is easy to make and or get at most sites.

I like to but 50mg PG unflavored base and the cut it down with VG. VG is easy to buy and is dirt cheap.

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
...dont wanna clog my atty....

I use 100% vg and like Mutt, I haven't clogged an atty. imo, vg and clogging atties is a myth. You should be more concerned about the ingredients in the flavorings and other things you add to your mix rather than the base, be it pg, vg, or pg/vg. Just be absolutely sure the pg or vg is USP!

Hope that sets your mind at ease.

75/25 sounds about right, if you're happy with the vapor and the throat hit then go for it. There are now hard and fast rules. Even the different e-liquid manufacturers out there end up differing from one another in terms of how oily and viscose their blend is. Don't worry bout the attys, just refine your own blend to the point at which you're happy with how it vaporizes.

QuickyRicky

Jul 3, 2010
so after alot of making of crappy liquids, i have found one i really like. i take 10ML Pure VG, 0.8ml Everclear and 0.8ml flavor and a few drops of water. i find this makes a GREAT tasting liquid with lots of vapor ;) and a nice TH. the mix ends up being over 83% VG but since u said 100%vg wont clog a atty. im sure 83% wont either. thank your all your help guys and gals ;)

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
Hey Ricky,

How thick you want your liquid depends on the filler and how you vape. The prefilled cartridges filler is better for thinner liquids and slower, less frequent drags (so the liquid can re-wick into the atty). The blue foam mod is what I prefer, it wicks a bit faster so is better for several hits in a row, and for thicker liquids.

I've started parking my 510 in a shot glass, cartridge end down; seems to help reduce leakage that was common when I laid it down flat on the desk, or carried it vertically. I think my blue foam pieces are a little smaller than optimal, will try larger next time and hope to eliminate leakage entirely.

I use mostly VG and mix my own, still experimenting. Just tried adding a few drops of vodka instead of distilled water, seems to be working well; but I don't use anywhere near 25% water!

BTW, you do know that nicotine can be absorbed transdermally? I hope you promptly washed your hands after touching the liquid with your bare skin to see what it felt like.

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
I only realized you were using nic-free juice after seeing other posts of yours, Ricky, and congrats on dumping the analogs without vaping nicotine at all, that's awesome! Your success is inspirational.

Nonetheless I think it is a good idea to leave the warning in a thread for newbies - others, reading about your "feel" test, may try that with nic juice, and they really shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread