How to feed wick through coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrsun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
los angeles
I'm not sure what 2.5mm Ekowool is. Are the half sizes the ones that have a silica core? I have only used 1mm, 2mm, & 3mm. 2mm is definitely too thick for a micro. Remember the Ekowool sizes for their hollow sleeves are the internal diameter.

Sleeving it over the 1/16" may work but I've never tried that type of coil wick setup. I've only sleeved over SS mesh in a genny. The leads of the coil will make it tricky. You would have to bend one lead parallel with the coil, sleeve, then bend the lead back. You might get a lot of fraying before you are successful. Sounds like too much trouble.

I do love cotton, just don't use them in any of my Reos. I used to just wrap around 1mm Ekowool using a piece of .039" music wire inserted into the Ekowool cause I always though it would be impossible to thread Ekowool through a true micro. Until I decided to finally try one day & couldn't believe that I was holding back for so long. I can thread 1mm Ekowool through a 1/16" ID coil pretty easily. I also make coils with a .055" ID, getting 1mm Ekowool through that is a bit trickier but not that hard to the point where I wouldn't bother with it. But the .055" ID is borderline choking the Ekowool.

The RBA currently in my profile pic is a blackened RM2.

These are all 1mm Ekowool & 1/16" ID micros
(Excuse the gunk, been vaping this for a while...)
Img_4810_zps4a77380d.jpg

Img_4426_zps6c1ae393.jpg

Img_4445_zps98d8d2db.jpg

Img_4493_zps5f85d992.jpg

Img_4354_zpsf3299da0.jpg

Wow those coils are just beautiful...

I hope you dont mind me sending you a PM about the Jig DarkZero...

and one last question, where did you get your drip tip it matches the rm2 perfectly.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
Wow those coils are just beautiful...

I hope you dont mind me sending you a PM about the Jig DarkZero...

and one last question, where did you get your drip tip it matches the rm2 perfectly.

Thanks!

Which drip tip were you refering to? I don't use RM2 so the few pics I have postedof them were builds for friends. The black RM2 in my profile pic is using a drip tip courtesy of sxd. It's from RTD, delrin type B but other vendors carry the same style too. The short plain cannon style titanium drip tips that I normally use were made by me.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
since i am also a tad challenged by feeding cotton thru the coil, as well as luring the wires into the teeny tiny post holes, i am anxiously awaiting DZ jig 2.0, to go along with my OG DZ jig...

:)

If I'm understanding correctly, no need for a "2.0" jig although I already have done that. PM me & I can change the one you have already to your liking.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
If I'm understanding correctly, no need for a "2.0" jig although I already have done that. PM me & I can change the one you have already to your liking.

your jig makes winding the coils a piece of cake. i can finally wrap a good coil!

being old with bad eyesight, i now spend more time trying to get the wick in than wrapping the coil... that is all i meant by 2.0...

if 2.0 helps with getting the wick in, then i'm all in...

... especially if she wears a miniskirt

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
your jig makes winding the coils a piece of cake. i can finally wrap a good coil!

being old with bad eyesight, i now spend more time trying to get the wick in than wrapping the coil... that is all i meant by 2.0...

if 2.0 helps with getting the wick in, then i'm all in...

... especially if she wears a miniskirt

Sorry, the sexy versions are all for me. :)

I see, I had thought you would like to make bigger coils.....

Butters80

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Boise, ID
I prefer silica wicks in my builds. I tie a knot out of sewing thread at the end of a 3mm +1mm silica wicks so they are tied together, leaving a couple of extra inches of sewing thread. I feed the sewing thread through the micro coil and carefully pull the tied together wicks through. Cotton looks so much easier than all this. I just couldn't handle the taste. I may have to try rip trippers method of boiling the cotton in distilled water twice through for 15 minutes.

vapnmuse

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
central new jersey
I noticed the cotton taste also and did not like it. Now when I wick the coil I squonk till saturated and fire the rm2 without the cap on. This allows me to burn off the cotton flavor without burning the wick. Repeat 3-4 times. I wrap a paper towel around the reo to catch the crackling fluid just don't let it touch the coil or you will be holding an Olympic torch! Install the cap squonk and enjoy....without the taste of cotton. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread