I love my Subox Mini but I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzii

Aug 9, 2015
Ok, so first off...

I really like the Subox Mini, as the title suggests.

But, I have been having loads of problems with it so far.

I am not really into sub ohming, I am more of a mouth to lung inhaler. Knowing this, I ordered a bunch of 1.5 and 1.2 ohm coils, both the vertical and horizontal models.

Something I am confused about though is that I cant seem to vape at higher than 8 watts without that burnt cotton taste. This seems odd to me since everything I read says people are using .5 ohm coils at 25-30 watts.

If people can vape at 25 watts with a .5 coil, I am confused as to why I am getting a burnt taste at above 8 watts with a coil that has 3x the resistance.

I am also having severe issues with all types of the pre built coils dry hitting. I prime and prime, I drip juice on the coil when its new, and I get 4 or 5 good hits then BAM... nasty burnt cotton taste (at 7-8 watts)!

I have been through 4 coils in 3 days now..... Not ideal since they are $3 a piece.

The juice I have been using is a mixture of two juices (because I ordered a bunch of 12mg juice right before buying this setup and 12mg was too strong.

I am using 1 part 50/50 12mg mixed with 1 part max vg 0mg. Both juices are very clear colored because I dont like what dark juice does to the equipment.

I came from using a nautilus mini with a mvp 2.0. I never had any of these issues with that setup but I think the ceramic wicks were irritating my lungs so I wanted to try something different. That and the battery was getting pretty worn out.

When it works correctly, its fantastic! I really want to solve the issue, please help!

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Are you interested in building your own coils at all? 75%VG might be to much(thick) for those coils idk.

I think you may have answered your own question :) If you are getting dry hits then your system is not getting juiced properly....... If you burn those type of wicks in the slightest degree then they are wrecked and you can't get rid of the taste. You may be burning them right away when you start using them. ... I don't have the tank you are using but I use a similar one. I have dissected many of those coils and rebuilt a lot of them as well. They may be using a smaller diameter of wire for the higher resistance coils............ So, make sure you prime the heck out of those coils before you attempt to use them and let them sit for awhile before using them. Then start using them at low power and slowly work your power up.

Fuzzii

Aug 9, 2015
    Like I said before, I dont go above 8 watts and I am dripping juice on the atty when it is new. Then I dry hit it to make sure. It actually usually works ok when its new but after a few hours is when I cant seem to wick the pre built coils any longer. Also the juice looks quite viscus even though its 75% vg. It isnt very thick looking like sometimes juice gets when its near the end of the tank.

SUPER K

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 3, 2015
    I have tried all the airflow channels and it doesnt seem to be wicking the cotton on any of them. I even plug the holes with my finger and suck as hard as I can to force the juice in the cotton and I am lucky if I can get 4 hits before I taste burnt cotton.
    Do you let the tank rest for 20 minutes after filling? I've had better luck with prebuilt kanger OCC/VOCC heads by priming then and then letting them sit for 20 minutes or so. I've since moved on to the RBA, cheaper and I can build to my liking.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Like I said before, I dont go above 8 watts and I am dripping juice on the atty when it is new. Then I dry hit it to make sure. It actually usually works ok when its new but after a few hours is when I cant seem to wick the pre built coils any longer. Also the juice looks quite viscus even though its 75% vg. It isnt very thick looking like sometimes juice gets when its near the end of the tank.

Obviously the juice is not soaking the wick properly.... You just have to determine why........ 75% VG is not all that high for a tank like that. You can try to thin your juice out a bit and see if that helps.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    I still am really interested to know how people are vaping at 25 watts with .5 ohm coils but I am having burning issues at 8 watts with 1.5 ohm coils.

The answer is that the 0.5 ohm coil is made of a thicker gauge wire than the 1.5 ohm coil

Thick wire runs at higher power.

stalkster

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 10, 2015
    FL
    I think you may have answered your own question :) If you are getting dry hits then your system is not getting juiced properly....... If you burn those type of wicks in the slightest degree then they are wrecked and you can't get rid of the taste. You may be burning them right away when you start using them. ... I don't have the tank you are using but I use a similar one. I have dissected many of those coils and rebuilt a lot of them as well. They may be using a smaller diameter of wire for the higher resistance coils............ So, make sure you prime the heck out of those coils before you attempt to use them and let them sit for awhile before using them. Then start using them at low power and slowly work your power up.
    mis quote?

Anyways try diluting your juice with water. As mentioned many times, for some reason the coil heads you bought can't keep up with that high of a VG mix. Or try the 50vg/50pg mix even tho it's 12mg, Just to test it.

Reactions: Tony16

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I might try adding a couple drops of water as suggested. I am theorizing that after I vape a few hours, the pg is burning more than the vg and I am left with a much thicker juice and it isnt wicking the coil as well.

I don't see how that is possible especially if you shake the juice up before adding to the tank.
    The answer is that the 0.5 ohm coil is made of a thicker gauge wire than the 1.5 ohm coil

Thick wire runs at higher power.

Yes, I already explained that to him above. Somehow I don't think he is getting proper juice flow.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread