I think Boba's Bounty juice kills my eRoll atty's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP_Guinness

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Washington, D.C.
Anyone have this experience? I went through two five-packs of eRoll atty's from LitecigUSA in two weeks. At first I thought it was the atty's, but when I switched back to HHV's Legend juice this month, I'm still using the same two atty's and its been more than a week.

What are the rules here? Is it a pg/vg thing? Viscosity? What can I vape with my eRoll without going through 5 attys per week?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Asmuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2013
Virginia
Just clean your atties. I vape BB with my eroll with no problems cleaning the atty every 3-4 tanks. I have atty's that are 2 months old.

Just pop off the top of the atty and soaking it in alcohol for 10 minutes, then rinse it with hot water. After that put it on the battery and stand in front of a mirror and blow from the led side until the coil glows. At that point I glow the coil for 3-5 second bursts until it's clean. Then I put a drop of juice on the coil and on the wick and push the top back on and it's ready to go.

atty.jpg

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Just clean your atties. I vape BB with my eroll with no problems cleaning the atty every 3-4 tanks. I have atty's that are 2 months old.

Just pop off the top of the atty and soaking it in alcohol for 10 minutes, then rinse it with hot water. After that put it on the battery and stand in front of a mirror and blow from the led side until the coil glows. At that point I glow the coil for 3-5 second bursts until it's clean. Then I put a drop of juice on the coil and on the wick and push the top back on and it's ready to go.

View attachment 204439

I tried that I was never able to get the top back on. ;) Those things are tiny and not the easiest thing to deal with.

llamainmypocket

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
United States
Just put the base of the atomizer on a counter top, grasp the tip of the atomizer with some needle nose pliers, eyeball to make sure the tip is perfectly level with the base, and rock it back in.

Chances are your atomizers are fine. They just need to be cleaned. You are flushing money down the toilet by not cleaning them.

Asmuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2013
Virginia
Just put the base of the atomizer on a counter top, grasp the tip of the atomizer with some needle nose pliers, eyeball to make sure the tip is perfectly level with the base, and rock it back in.

Chances are your atomizers are fine. They just need to be cleaned. You are flushing money down the toilet by not cleaning them.
Counter top and needle nose, exactly what I do. The needle nose I use are flat on the sides and not curved, so aligning the top with the base is no problem.

At $25 for a pack of 5, I can't afford to not clean them.

JP_Guinness

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Washington, D.C.
Very good advice guys. I have a bunch of old ones saved up ,I'll clean em and see what happens. ...funny, I've been vaping for years, but switched to cartos months after starting. I forgot all about cleaning attys. I did though read a post about cleaning these c-types a couple months ago. The guy suggested soaking in Crest Proclean Mouthwash. Bad idea...atty tasted like absolute crap after.

EricDykstra

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,il
Very good advice guys. I have a bunch of old ones saved up ,I'll clean em and see what happens. ...funny, I've been vaping for years, but switched to cartos months after starting. I forgot all about cleaning attys. I did though read a post about cleaning these c-types a couple months ago. The guy suggested soaking in Crest Proclean Mouthwash. Bad idea...atty tasted like absolute crap after.

Don't use a needle nose pliers. You will leave tooth marks on the spike, which can cause leaks. Use a small flat head screwdriver inserted into the slots on the the top, prying gently on each side.

Make sure you soak the attys first. The wick can become fused to the coil from juices.

Asmuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2013
Virginia
I saw a video demo about cleaning attys one time where the guy said not to use alcohol as a cleaning agent, as this could be dangerous because any leftover alcohol is dangerous to inhale into out lungs. Is this too over cautious, or should I actually be worried about this?

I think that applies to isopropyl alcohol. If you must use isopropyl alcohol, if you go to your local pharmacy, they should be able to special order it for you if they don't stock it, It will cost you about $4 for a 16oz bottle.

I would use:
  • Spirytus Stawski(polish vodka, 96% Alcohol/192 proof, very hard to find in the U.S. out side of the Chicago area)
  • Everclear(95% Alcohol/190 proof prefered, some area's cant sell that kind and have it diluted to 75.5%/151 proof)
  • Moonshine(Easy for me to get here in SW Virginia, you may be able to get it in the DC area)
  • Devil's Springs Vodka (80% Alcohol/160 proof)

I use Everclear, because I know the other 5% is water and I can't get Spirytus here. I have a luthier friend who lives in Louisiana and went to school in Chicago and only uses Spirytus to clean the electronics on the guitars he is repairing, he has a distributor there order it for him by the case.

When you do a dry burn that should evaporate the remaining alcohol.

Asmuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2013
Virginia
Don't use a needle nose pliers. You will leave tooth marks on the spike, which can cause leaks. Use a small flat head screwdriver inserted into the slots on the the top, prying gently on each side.

Make sure you soak the attys first. The wick can become fused to the coil from juices.

I have a pair of needle nose locking pliers that I just keep in my ecig toolbox just for these atties. I adjusted the locking on them and put foam weatherstripping on the teeth. Nothing had been damaged so far.

mommyofdoom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
Orlando, Florida
To replace a spike, I first position it on the body, pressing it in just enough to get the edges in. Then I press the spike in with a flat metal object. I usually use a dull hobby knife or a butter knife. I position the edge of the knife up against the spike, flat over the base. I press my thumb against the contact side and work my way around the spike, spinning the atomizer as I go. Press it in just a bit at a time so it goes in evenly.

No pliers, no scratching, no damaged contacts, and the spike sits completely flush on the body.

Pardon any typos and redundancies, I'm using my husband's kindle and I hate typing on this keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread