Information OverLoad. Need help on purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurBob

Sep 29, 2016
Hi folks,
I'm sure you probably get these "which ones should I buy" threads all the time.. I've done some research, dove in to buying an e-cig and got screwed out of $50. So here I am and I need help.

I tried searching but there's an information overload.. way too much. I'm trying to purchase a vaporizer to get away from cigarettes, not send a robot to Mars.

I purchased a juul unit and it lasted less than a week (3 cartridges) before it stopped charging and now its not even heavy enough to make a good paper weight out of it. Seems that juul has a good marketing campaign but the product is crap. They don't even have a phone number to call to talk to a human and their email says wait up to 5 days! Seriously?

So here is what I need. I'm looking for a vaporizer that can replace real cigarettes.. something I can stick in my pocket when I'm working around the Farm. I don't want a vaporizer that requires a suitcase to carry it. I'm a pack a day smoker and am looking for something that will last a long time. Quality is important, I don't mind if I have to charge it frequently or add more liquid frequently..
The juul unit was great! I really liked it.. but apparently its a piece of junk and the company hides from having to stand behind the product.

Suggestions??

Reactions: Foggy Road

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Vaper4life has a decent line of cigalikes, I started out with them and they stood behind everything very well. But like everything, you can get duds!
The Eleaf icare is getting a LOT of rave reviews around the forum and cost around $20. But get a few of them as the battery will not last you all day.

Reactions: bnrkwest

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are several directions that you could explore. I'll try to give you a few to consider.

First off, I'd recommend avoiding a ciga-like, or cigarette-sized setup. They have horrid battery life, very limited options in juice attachments, and are extremely expensive in the long run.

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. A picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers.​

An inexpensive setup would be a Eleaf iStick regulated mod (many models available made in China) with an Aspire Nautilus tank. Should be able to get for under $75 easy. Isticks would be a relatively durable vaporizer for use around the farm, but I doubt that you'll get any support after the short warranty runs out. Available with a built-in rechargeable (not removeable) battery or removeable rechargeable batteries, depending upon the model. I prefer using replaceable battery vaporizers, so when the original battery discharges you just replace it with a spare charged battery carried in a plastic battery case in your pocket.

A more expensive setup would be a Provari with an Aspire Nautilus tank. Provari's enjoy a well-deserved reputation as being extremely durable and dependable products, made in the US, have a 1 year warranty, and in the rare event it breaks can be repaired post-warranty for a reasonable price (fast repair - usually 1 week).

Why Provari?
  • What is the Provari and why is it so popular? Includes some little known facts, and videos & links to ECF threads on why the Provari is loved by owners.

The Nautilus tank is an ideal tank for beginners and intermediate users. Uses replaceable coils. Ideal for mouth-to-lung vapers (similar to a cigarette).

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper. Includes a video on the use of an eGo variable voltage battery/clearomizer and of the iStick and MVP mods.

Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I don't think your experience with Juul is typical, but then there is a tendency for what you try first to have problems, no matter what it is you try. Juul will probably act to help, but already you're seeing a need for backup. A smoker will keep some matches around even if they have a decent lighter.

Vaping is the same and different than smoking, mostly better but more complex. You don't need to try everything at once though. Initial costs are high(er) but widely variable and can easily be much lower in the long run. Problem is, it's not a "sure thing" yet to you so that makes it important to start getting it right soon. At least maybe you've seen some of the potential.

If you're young with fresh lungs, you would probably be more satisfied with the newer more high-powered, direct-lung tanks and at least 30 watts. The Kanger Subtank or its latest version is a great deal with both prefab and rebuildable coils in the same tank. There are mini versions avail. now for most of that too. Or, if the info on your account is correct and/or you're older, you will want to start with a MTL device such as suggested in posts above. The Nautilus tank is highly respected and can be powered by big or most small batteries. The Endura T18 is also suggested for new vapers. I'm a big fan of the original single coil Kanger EVOD and its many variable voltage clones. Low powered, a little finicky but cheap and has a lot of flavor. Plus, even that's an "open" system compared to Juul... There's a lot of other simplified super-small units coming out now too, but I'm suspicious of them in the flavor department.

Reactions: glointhedark

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Man.... this is the sort of story that gets my goat. I feel for you.

These days, I would absolutely NOT recommend a cig-a-like kit. There is simply no justification anymore.
    With a variable power device, you can have a little vapor as a cig-a-like but enjoy super-long battery life and more reliable tanks etc.

I carry a small mod day in day out, in my jacket. Sure it's not a "Pen" or even an over-sized plastic cigarette but it's good and it works... it can do "gas station disposable e-cig" power or small clouds if needed.

Don't sell yourself short.... this is your health and your life. :)

Please get a small mod, it's not like sending a rocket to mars and you don't need a skateboard to carry it around.

Oh... and please don't trust e-cigarette review sites... they are full of camouflaged biased reviews. There are over 200 websites devoted to ripping you off and siphoning money from your pocket to make their commission. The top rated brands are only rated in their board rooms not in real life.

Dave.

The man who spent $800 on total junk to still be smoking...
    Then I got something resembling a proper e-cig. :thumb:

RedRobin

Aug 18, 2016
    I was a pack and a half smoker, l went for a mouth to lung - Nautilus X with the i-stick Pico 75 watt, it gives me a good decent draw and, l luv it, had it for over a month now. I am using 18 mg of Nicotine and find that helps me with cravings. Also if you can buy from a reputable dealer online or even better at a store like l did. If something goes wrong you can take it back. I am finding gugling has stopped since l have raised the watts to 12.5, interesting,

Last edited:
    Reactions: djsvapour

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Get the Eleaf Pico with the Melo 3 tank and you'll be set for a while.

It's a reliable, easy, mod to use and the smallest one you can get with a replaceable battery.

It's a very solid device that you'll rarely hear anyone complain about it, and it's a great starter kit that is easily fine for even advance vapers.

Reactions: RainSong

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Great advice Baditude as usual.
    The fact of the matter and a mistake made over and over by new vapers is that they do not want to invest very much in their new equipment. As a result they end up with junk that doesn't work properly on all levels. Put the cost of your new setup into the context of what a pack a day habit costs per month...
    If it's your first device it needs to satisfy you properly, or the evil clasping hand of tobacco addiction will seize you and draw you back to it's fetid bosom.

You may need to abandon the preconception that your new device will have the same form factor as a tobacco cigarette, a decent performing battery and atomizer just won't fit into those size constraints. The suggested iStick and Nautilus Mini is a great suggestion, relatively cheap and about the size of a Zippo and a film can, so definitely pocket friendly.

You probably want to go for an e-liquid with a high nicotine level, 12mg or perhaps 24mg as this help to keep the cravings at bay and provide a nice throat hit similar to a cigarette.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Baditude

Jdurand

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 16, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Combine bad and DJ's advice and you've got your answer. You will need some type of small mod and a tank that can handle some wattage. The Istick/Nautilus combo was my first rig that truly replaced cigarettes. I too got caught up in the cig-a-likes....bottom line....they suck.

Keep looking and experimenting with gear and juice. make sure your nic levels are high enough to kill the cravings. if you're still having issues there are other "tricks of the trade" to get you off smokes as well.

Good luck my friend....We can and will get you off the smokes if that is what you want!

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
    Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    another one is the kangertech 75 toptank mini, it's no bigger than a pack of smokes and then the tank on top. it also has a removable battery, so if you have a spare battery on you, you can change one out as the battery poofs for a later recharge. good luck I know we were struggling at first as well, but got lucky since we knew someone who owned shops. we were a pack a day smokers as well and have been a month free now... took 2 months before we took the final step, but it works.

Reactions: NavVet1969

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    An ecto 650 isn't much of a step up from a Juul (maybe even down in some areas). I'ts an inexpensive eGo style fixed battery with a plastic tank on top. It can give you an OK experience, but one battery may not hold you all day, and the tank portion isn't all that robust. Online price I saw right off the top was $24.99. No idea what the smoke shop is asking. There's certainly better and worse.

Reactions: NavVet1969

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Great information.. Thanks! I'm going to a smoke shop this evening.. called ahead and the customer service guy says they have something called an etco 650.. Any good??? Or should I stick with an Eleaf?

Ecto 650? never even heard of that, neither brand and model, that's just scary...

Looked it up... and that is another "being screwed out of money" type... I wouldn't even look at something like that... at this point, I'd never touch a pen type system.

If you really want to stick to a smallish tube type, then go with either the
    Eleaf iJust, or the Joyetech eGo AIO.

iJust S - Eleaf electronic cigarette
    eGo AIO - Joyetech

I'd advise more for the iJust because you can actually change the tank, AND that you can get a LOT of coil cartridges that are compatible with it, as it's a very proven design. (they are the same coils for the Melo series, Vaperasso, Aspire Atlantis/Triton and several other tanks, which can almost all use each other's coils).

I'll be blunt: if you talk about fearing that you'll be wasting money, the best way is to get a cheap piece of crap that you'll regret again. Spent the money for something decent, make sure that you check the prices online first, as some local stores will sell some hardware at double the price. Yes, they can't match the online prices from some places, but it should be reasonable.

Again, taking the time to read up on mods, how they work, etc. you might think that you don't want to get overloaded, but it is not that hard to learn the basics, and taking the time to simply know how to set a mod that has proper settings will give you room to grow later on without having to be upset that you have to spend money again.

For the prices, nothing beats the quality of Eleaf as far as I'm concerned. Later on, you can go with pricier ones, but at some point, you'll see that a 60$ Eleaf (or any decent one) will work just fine and that it might be the first and last mod you'll ever need/use (aside breakage of course).

I've seen people go crazy with 200-600$ mods, and the truth is, ALL mods do ONE thing, they power a coil to make it hot to evaporate the liquid, nothing more, just some do it a bit better than others.

So aside those two pocket tube types, the Pico/Melo3 kit is going to be impossible to beat for quality, price and size.

For Kanger and Wismec and most other brands, they are all the hardware that in all my several vaping groups, are always being trade or sold off (or people asking about problems with them).. the Eleaf ones are barely ever seen, and for me, that speaks for itself.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    An ecto 650 isn't much of a step up from a Juul (maybe even down in some areas). I'ts an inexpensive eGo style fixed battery with a plastic tank on top. It can give you an OK experience, but one battery may not hold you all day, and the tank portion isn't all that robust. Online price I saw right off the top was $24.99. No idea what the smoke shop is asking. There's certainly better and worse.
    I saw marked down to $10 (and sold out), which would be worth playing around with and as spare, especially the battery. The big problem with those is wicking (top coil) and burning when it doesn't, and unadjustable battery which may be the real problem anyway. The Ecto 900 does look like an Aspire, maybe the K1, with non-Nautilus BDC(/BVC?) however, could be OK.

Pen types and AIOs are fine if you don't need, or want, big vapor and/or want something to walk around with. Actually I question if some of these new AIOs aren't overkill for MTL.

Smoke shops aren't the best for getting vape stuff, but some are decent and most beat the convenience store. I've seen some that have insane amounts of stuff but don't seem to know what to do with it.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined. You seems to know pretty much what you want. The problem is finding a place/supplier that will stand behind their product (most equipment can fail). Suggest you contact a brick and mortar store and talk to a supplier who can answer your questions and stand behind his/her statements. In vaping you need to know how to ask the right questions in order to fulfill your desired style of vaping.
    Might like to read:
    Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
    ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
    One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
    Beginner | Guide To Vaping
    http://onvaping.com/guide/beginners...cig-battery-basics-cig-a-likes-egos-and-mods/
    (10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
    (1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum
    (4) Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor | E-Cigarette Forum
    The above should help you to become more knowledgeable.

MurBob

Sep 29, 2016
    I sure appreciate all the information..
    The smoke shop I went to had about 40 different kinds of vaporizers and I ended up with an etco 900. The "tank" is glass and stainless.. no plastic.. has adjustable air flow and I filled it with an 18mg solution. The taste isn't as good as the JUUL is but it works, it satisfies my nicotine fit from not smoking real cigarettes, and I spent less than half of what I did on the JUUL.
    It also has a replaceable heating coil and I can stick it in my pocket without feeling like I'm carrying an old fashioned cell phone.. its just pen type with an overall length of 6 inches and about 1/2 inch in diameter. It almost looks like one of those epi-pens people carry around.

The idea here is for me to quit the nicotine habit all together.. I'm not a professional vapor or big into it so I wanted to start small and cheap.
    Oh, one other thing... I finally got in contact with JUUL and they not only emailed me a free shipping tag to send mine back, but they already put a new one in the mail to me free of charge.. So at least there's that.. Now I'll have a spare.
    One other consideration.. I live out in the countryside and there's not a lot of stuff around us.. I had to travel 8 miles just to the nearest smoke store.. The next one out is another 20 and would have me driving to the city.. (yuk).. I'd rather sniff a pigs behind..

Mine is Black.. If it breaks or doesn't me my expectations, I will let everyone know about it so to pass on the knowledge.
    Thanks again for all your advice! I love internet forums for this kind of stuff.....
    ecto900_box.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread