Innokin CoolFire Z60 Kit with New Zlide Top Tank & DuoPrime Z-Coils | Reviews by Z-Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Innokin CoolFire Z60 Kit w/ New zlide Top tank & DuoPrime Z-coils

1670143111504.png

Hello! Today we'll be taking a close look at Innokin's latest kit release, the CoolFire Z60 with their brand new Zlide Top tank and DuoPrime Z-coils. The best way I can describe this kit is if you could imagine the older CoolFire Z50 kit and the newer Kroma 217 Z-Force kit having a baby. There's a lot to cover here so I'm not going to take up too much time trying to describe what it is, I'll just show you.

First, I want to thank Nicole over at Innokin for coordinating the shipment of this product, and @Innokin_timmy for being the happy face we love to see here on ECF. This review will be conducted in a fair and honest manner, per usual.

(photos can be clicked on for easier viewing)

1670143171845.png

Color Options:
    ◾ Purple
    ◾ Blue
    ◾ Gunmetal
    ◾ Stainless Steel
    ◾ Black
    ◾ Pink
    ◾ Red

General Features:
    ◾ Battery Switch
    ◾ 2500 mAh Internal Battery
    ◾ Top Airflow
    ◾ 6-60W Power Output
    ◾ Sliding Top Fill
    ◾ Z-coil Platform Series

1670143217872.png

Tank glass comes available in 4.5 mL (bubble glass), 3 mL (straight glass), and 2mL (TPD). The airflow ranges from a tight MTL to a tight RDL.

1670143293225.png

DuoPrime technology now comes to the Z-coil family. As of now, there's only a 0.6 ohm coil available, but it still falls under MTL due to the airflow restriction that the new Zlide Top tank can provide. The new DuoPrime Z-coils are compatible with all other Z-coil tanks.

1670143367489.png

Innokin's Coil+ and Refresh Modes are nothing new, but they're a highly welcomed feature. I believe these modes started with the release of the Kroma 217 mod and have been carried over due to their successful performance and uniqueness. I still wish Innokin would bring back the f(∅) tech they had in the CoolFire Z80 mod, but I don't think it was as well received as the Coil+ and Refresh Modes. Hopefully they keep that on the back burner for something coming up.

Also new to Innokin mods is the Battery Master Switch located on the bottom of the mod. This allows you to quickly turn off the device when storing it, instead of the normal 3x clicks of the fire button which will also turn off the mod. The difference is, no matter how many times you click the fire button, if the Battery Master Switch is turned off, the mod will not turn on. The switch must be turned back on before you can unlock the device for vaping.

The Spec list is a bit off, which I'm sure was put together before Innokin made the final touches. I watched a sneak peek review from Phil Busardo (one of the designers of Innokin tanks along with Dimitri TheVapingGreek) here where he mentioned they made some last minute changes before the final release. Tank capacities are 4.5 mL, 3 mL, and 2 mL (for TPD regulations). The internal battery also has 2500 mAh capacity, not the stated 2100 mAh listed above putting the battery at 9.25 Watthours instead of 7.77 Watthours.

Testing & Observations:

1670143438459.png

What Comes in the Package:
    ◾ Innokin CoolFire Z60 Mod
    ◾ Innokin Zlide Top Tank w/ MTL Drip Tip (Straight Glass - 2 mL)
    ◾ DuoPrime 0.6 ohm Z-coil (pre-installed)
    ◾ Spare Bubble Glass (3 mL)
    ◾ Spare 0.3 ohm Kanthal Z-coil (non-DuoPrime)
    ◾ Baggy of Spare O-Rings & RDL Drip Tip
    ◾ USB Type-C Charging Cable (1 foot)
    ◾ User Manual
    ◾ Warning & Safety Manual
    ◾ DuoPrime Z-coil Info Sheet

Innokin sports environmentally friendly recycled packaging for their gear which I always love to see. Does the packaging really matter all that much? To me, not at all - it's what is inside.

When opening the package, most of the smaller items can be found tucked all nice and neatly under the cardboard cutout that holds the mod, tank, and bubble glass. Don't forget about the RDL drip tip found in the baggy of O-rings - I almost missed this.

I installed the bubble glass and straight glass, one on each mod so that you can see what they look like. The straight glass comes pre-installed and holds 3 mL's of ejuice, the bubble glass increases that amount to 4.5 mL. For those that fall under TPD regulations, there's a tank that holds 2 mL (I have not seen this tank, so cannot confirm). I'm not entirely sure if the reduced volume is built into the tank in a preformed plastic PCTG or if there's a spacer that's placed inside the tank.

The USB Type-C cable is about a foot long which seems to be the industry standard for recharging cables inside starter kits. One wonderful thing about the Z60 mod is that it will pick up a QC 3.0 quick charging cable, so those with a more recent android will be able to use their phone chargers. Not all mods are capable of this, so this is definitely a plus. The mod also allows pass-through vaping, so you will be able to vape while it's plugged in and recharging.

1670143558300.png

The Zlide Top Tank:

The new Zlide Top tank is quite an improvement over the original Zlide tank, both designed and implemented by Phil Busardo and Demitri the VapingGreek with Innokin. I was not a fan of the OG Zlide tank. In fact, I sidelined it and it became my 1.6 ohm mod testing tank after trying it for a while. I just couldn't get the Z-coils to produce nearly the same flavor as the newer Zenith II tank that came in the CoolFire Z80 kit, and didn't provide nearly the airflow range, either. If you enoyed the original Zlide tank, then I think you can still expect a few improvements other than just the flavor.

If you're new or newer to coil head tanks ("sub ohm"), there are a few things you'll want to note about this atomizer when installing new coils, like orienting the coil correctly so that it seats flush with the base of the coil housing. If you do not seat the coil correctly, you will know this when trying to screw in the base/bottom cap - it will not screw in all the way.

The first feature I want to make note of if you haven't already noticed it, is the top airflow this atomizer has adopted. As far as I know, this is the first Innokin tank to go this route instead of the traditional bottom airflow that most atomizers in the industry, both coil head and rebuildables, tend to go with. Without going too far in-depth with how top airflow differs from bottom, the biggest benefit across the board is leakage reduction. An atomizer can experience leakage for many reasons including but not limited to when a coil gets old, the tank gets refilled with too much juice, the tank gets left sitting on its side with low amounts of juice, or maybe the viscosity is too thin for the coil. This leakage results in juice free-flowing through the coil and wick, into the chimney, and creeping down into the area at the base of the atomizer. If the airflow control ring sits at the base of the tank, then this is where the leakage will exit the atomizer - through the airflow. However, in a top airflow system, the juice can still leak through the wick and coil, but will instead pool at the bottom of the atomizer and will have no way to exit the atomizer until it is tipped upside down. This is great because the leak is contained inside the atomizer instead of ending up on your pants, shirt pocket, or purse.

Many claim that flavor is reduced because of the travel distance of the air in top airflow tanks, but that travel distance mostly affects the flavor when the distance from the coil to the end drip tip is increased. I'm certainly not experiencing any reduction in flavor from the Zlide Top tank, but this could also largely be contributed to the new DuoPrime Z-coils which I'll get more into further below.

As with the original Zlide tank, the top cap slides back to reveal the refill port - just look for the small arrow positioned directly in the center of the side where both of the silver star bit screws sit closest to one another on the top cap. The port itself is sealed with a thin slit membrane that is easily penetrated with a bottle nozzle. I did find that I sort of had to press the nozzle into the membrane with a bit of force to make sure the tip was propping open both sides of the membrane when refilling, but you can always remove the drip tip if you find yourself having any difficulties gaining access to the refill port. The top cap itself slides back and forth about as smooth as I've ever experienced with a slide top. The machining is done very well.

1670143877765.png

The DuoPrime Coil:

Quite possibly the biggest improvement contributing to the likeability of the CoolFire Z60 kit is their new addition to the Z-coil family. Like the coils used in the Kroma 217 Z-Force kit, the same DuoPrime technology has been compacted down in size and form to be compatible with the rest of the Z-coils. What does this mean exactly?

I'm putting on the nerd glasses to give you the most easily understood explanation that I'm capable of in how the DuoPrime coils work - for visual reference, scroll up to the illustration above I've linked from Innokin's site.

The DuoPrime technology implemented into the Z-coil has the standard coil that lines the inner circumference of the cotton wick. If you look down into the Z-coil before you install it, you can see the wire mesh coil. Like almost any coil, this coil's particular job does all of the vaporizing you would expect from a normal coil head. However, there's a second mesh coil with a higher resistance that lines the outer circumference of the cotton wick. If you look through the small circular juice ports of each DuoPrime coil (much more easily seen in the ZF-coils used in the Z-Force tank from the review I did here), you'll notice a thin lining of cotton that encloses this second coil. Since this coil is of a higher resistance, it requires a higher voltage to get to vaporizing temperature and instead, heats slower and to a much lower temperature than the inner coil which results in drawing in ejuice from the tank.

If you don't believe this actually works, set a normal coil head to around half of what you would normally vape it at, and take a few regular sized puffs. That slurpiness you're experiencing is juice being drawn into the wick, but not being heated enough to vaporize properly. That's the magic behind the DuoPrime coil. Similarly, this is also the technology that Innokin's Coil+ firing mode uses, which results in the mod firing for about a half second after you release the fire button at around half the set wattage. This allows coils that do not have a second DuoPrime coil to benefit from the same technology.

Normally, I'd probably vape a non-DuoPrime coil of this resistance at around 30-35W. However, with a second coil of higher resistance, it allows this coil head to be vaped between 9 and 13W. So, not only does this coil help in keeping your vapes nice and juicy, it also allows you to enjoy a great vape at a lower wattage which in the end means, tons of additional battery life. And by tons, I mean upwards of 3 times the battery life - that's nothing to scoff at for a 2500 mAh internal battery. That's essentially having 7000 mAh worth of vape time in a tiny sized mod.

In the pictures above, I've denoted with an arrow, how to determine if you're holding a DuoPrime Z-coil or not - look for the unique upside down U symbol. The coil material (KAL - Kanthal), resistance, coil series, and recommended wattage are stated on everyone of their coils which I believe all brands should be doing for clarity. Well done Innokin.

As I've stated before in plenty of my other Innokin reviews, if you're looking for vape innovation, Innokin is the company to be keeping your eye on.

1670144163856.png

The CoolFire Z60 Mod:

If I had to sum the Z60 mod up in two words, I'd say petite and classy would describe it best. While I do admit that I like some of the more flashy mods on the market, there's certainly a special place for a nice classy looking mod, and I'm sure some of you can agree on that. The body of the CoolFire Z60 is made of zinc-alloy which you can certainly rely on for durability. A lot of the market has moved on to the use of aluminum-alloys because they're lighter, and I'll continue to reiterate that lighter is not always better - and certainly not when you're talking about ounces in difference.

The front-facing plate is where you'll find the fire button, the UI, the two directional buttons, and the USB Type-C charging port. The external aesthetic of the mod body is split into two sections, the bottom having a matte look, and the top portion having more of a polished finish. To the left of the front side, you'll find in small writing, COOLFIRE Z60. I'm glad they didn't go crazy with logos, as that would have definitely detracted from the overall aesthetic.

On the top of the mod, you'll find a solid 510 plate that securely fastened to the metal frame with two Torx screws and some grooves in it to increase the surface area. The 510 pin is brass-plated and spring-loaded with just enough spring resistance to keep good contact with the pin on the atomizer, while not making it difficult or grindy to screw it in.

On the bottom of the mod is where you can find the newly added Battery Master Switch that we've seen being implemented in quite a few mods now with various different names. I believe this is the first mod that Innokin has added this feature to, and it's a great addition - hopefully they'll be adding this feature with future releases. While it's easy to turn the mod off and on with Innokin's traditional 3x clicks of the fire button, by clicking the button while it's off, the screen will light up. I wouldn't go as far as to say that this would kill your battery outright, but it's certainly not helping any. The Battery Master Switch completely disconnects your battery from the circuit making it not respond to any clicks at all. Definitely the safest way to go when put in your pocket or a purse/bag.

The USB Type-C charging port charges at 1.5A.

Lastly, I'll list out the basic functions of the mod.

◾ To turn the mod off/on: 3x clicks of the fire button or Battery Mastery Switch off/on
    ◾To change the wattage: Hold up or down directional button for 2 seconds; wattage changes in 0.5 watt increments and does round-robin
    ◾ To access the main menu: Hold both up and down directional buttons for 2 seconds
    ◾ To lock/unlock the directional buttons (mod still fires): Hold down directional button and fire button for 2 seconds in Coil+ or Wattage Mode
    ◾ To access the misc. menu: Hold up directional button and fire button for 2 seconds (shows battery voltage level, coil resistance to the thousandth, and puff counter w/ option to reset)

Above I made a visual map of the main menu (and misc. menu) and what you can expect to see when you enter any of the sub menus. The following is a list of what each sub menu does:

◾ Coil+: Can choose to run this mode in Voltage Mode or Wattage Mode, and fires the mod at roughly half the set value for a 1/2 second after you release the fire button; when in Voltage Mode, the wattage output is activated when fired in the lower right corner
    ◾ Wattage: Fires just like any other mod in Wattage or Power Mode
    ◾Refresh: Allows you to auto-activate refresh for about 3 seconds and draws juice into the coil/wick; Extended allows you to activate refresh by holding the fire button down manually for up to 8 or so seconds
    ◾ Cutoff: The length of time the fire button can be continually pressed before deactivating; ranges from 3 to 18 seconds
    ◾ Timeout: Determines the length of time the screen stays active after you've fired the mod; ranges from 5 to 180 seconds

Pros/Cons/Preferential Considerations:

+ + Pros + +

→ Zlide Top Tank
    ◾ Top Airflow
    ◾ Tough (I've dropped this a few times and it shows no signs of breakage)
    ◾ Airflow Ring is Smooth and Easy to Adjust
    ◾ No Leaking
    ◾ Mess-less Refills
    ◾ Top Cap Slides Smoothly
    ◾ Two Drip Tips
    ◾ Two Tank Sizes (Ginormous for an MTL)
    ◾ Precise Machining

◾ New DuoPrime Z-coil
    ◾ Great Flavor Output
    ◾ Comes with Spare Z-coil
    ◾ Both Long-lasting Coils
    ◾ Tank Matches Very Well with Mod

→ CoolFire Z60 Mod
    ◾ Compact
    ◾ Solidly Built
    ◾ Big Internal Battery for its Size
    ◾ Extremely Simple to Use
    ◾ UI is Easy to Understand
    ◾ Coil+ & Refresh to Help Coil Life and Flavor Longevity
    ◾ Sleek Aesthetic
    ◾ Battery Master Switch
    ◾ Specs Perform as Advertised

- - Cons - -
    → Zlide Top Tank
    ◾ Mustache Can Get Caught Sometimes (not even sure where, lol)

→ CoolFire Z60 Mod
    ◾ None

+ - Preferential Considerations - +
    → Zlide Top Tank
    ◾ Airflow Range from tight MTL to tight RDL

→ CoolFire Z60 Mod
    ◾ Slight Beep at the End of Fire Button Release When Coil+ is Refreshing
    ◾ Internal Battery
    ◾ Puff Counter Only Goes to 999
    ◾ A Bit More Heavy than Other Mods of This Size

1670152970012.png

Final Thoughts:

One gripe I have after surpassing 999 puffs was that the mod fully resets to 000. While I'm not huge into Puff Counters (I'd never factor this into my overall evaluation of a mod), I waited to complete this review until I surpassed 999 puffs for a specific reason. I'm not sure if a lot of people noticed this, but the Innokin Kroma 217 mod had a very similar UI layout and to my surprise when I passed 999 puffs, it shifted the counter to the right one. So at 1000 puffs, the counter read 100. After 10 more puffs at 1010, it would read 101. After 1100 puffs, it would read 110. So, theoretically, this counter could continue to keep track of puffs indefinitely which is the highest puff counter I've ever seen. I thought this was genius and was hoping to see that here in the CoolFire Z60, but alas it did not work out that way. It would have even been nice to include an extended puff counter in the sub menu where you can clear the puff counter since there's a whole lot more real estate to fit a large counter like that. Hopefully they add something like that in the future for the puff counter freaks. Other than the innovation, I on the other hand do not mind all that much.

You can see in the picture above just how compact this device really is. I thought the CoolFire Z80 mod sitting to the right of the Z60 mod was small. This has been a great device to bring with me on my long trips to work, and dependable enough to stow away in my lunch box without it leaking everywhere.

For the first full battery discharge, I reached around 420 puffs. This had a mixture of MTL and RDL puffs which is likely why I got more puffs than the second full discharge which ended after 377 puffs. I've also never seen a mod run on a red battery indicator for so long - the 2500 mAh internal battery they're using in the Z60 is truly impressive.

I'm currently sitting at 1470 puffs on the original DuoPrime Z-coil that came pre-installed in the kit and it's still going strong. The original Z-coils also have a long track record of good coil longevity, so I'm glad to see that the DuoPrime Z-coils are keeping up with them. I've notice hardly any decline in flavor, and no slurpiness or leakage from the DuoPrime Z-coil as of yet. I'm extremely impressed with these coils.

If you're looking for a great tight MTL to tight RDL vape kit, I think the CoolFire Z60 kit would be a perfect place to start.

Overall Rating:

An easy 9.5-10

That's all I got for ya. I hope I covered everything - feel free to ask questions or PM me if you're interested in anything I haven't covered. All I'm going to say is, keep an eye on Innokin because they're always coming up with innovations that I'm not seeing with the rest of the market. This is a killer kit, for sure.

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Vape!
    :rickroll:

Last edited:

DallasLiza

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 4, 2013
    The new Zlide Top tank is quite an improvement over the original Zlide tank, both designed and implemented by Phil Busardo and Demitri the VapingGreek with Innokin.
    I was interested in knowing how this Zlide compared with the OG which I'm mostly using now only when I want to mute flavor on some of my more *shocking* DIY juice experiments.
    The DuoPrime technology implemented into the Z-coil has the standard coil that lines the inner circumference of the cotton wick. If you look down into the Z-coil before you install it, you can see the wire mesh coil. Like almost any coil, this coil's particular job does all of the vaporizing you would expect from a normal coil head. However, there's a second mesh coil with a higher resistance that lines the outer circumference of the cotton wick. If you look through the small circular juice ports of each DuoPrime coil (much more easily seen in the ZF-coils used in the Z-Force tank from the review I did here), you'll notice a thin lining of cotton that encloses this second coil. Since this coil is of a higher resistance, it requires a higher voltage to get to vaporizing temperature and instead, heats slower and to a much lower temperature than the inner coil which results in drawing in ejuice from the tank.

Normally, I'd probably vape a non-DuoPrime coil of this resistance at around 30-35W. However, with a second coil of higher resistance, it allows this coil head to be vaped between 9 and 13W. So, not only does this coil help in keeping your vapes nice and juicy, it also allows you to enjoy a great vape at a lower wattage which in the end means, tons of additional battery life. And by tons, I mean upwards of 3 times the battery life - that's nothing to scoff at for a 2500 mAh internal battery. That's essentially having 7000 mAh worth of vape time in a tiny sized mod.
    This right here sold me.
    That, along with no leaks, no cons on the mod, 2500 mAh, 4.5ml capacity, battery Master Switch and,
    petite and classy would describe it best

I need two.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Great review!
    Thank you, Hitt!
    I was interested in knowing how this Zlide compared with the OG which I'm mostly using now only when I want to mute flavor on some of my more *shocking* DIY juice experiments.

This right here sold me.
    That, along with no leaks, no cons on the mod, 2500 mAh, 4.5ml capacity, battery Master Switch and,

I need two.
    I think you'd really like this. You being the Innokin pro that you are, I'm interested to see where you'd rate this between the Zenith, Zenith Pro, Zenith II, and the Sceptre 2 and Tube.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread