Instant cough on every drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

baileyn2golf

Jul 24, 2013
Apex NC
I am new to vaping and I have an evod pro tank and battery. The e juice I use is either a 50/50 blend or 60/40 PG/VG blend. The nic level is 18 or below. Every flavor I hit as soon as I inhale I start an instant cough. I have inhaled many different ways as suggested on this forum. The only e liquid that does not do that is a chocolate blueberry and smooth menthol mix. Btw I have smoked menthols for 15 years. Any advice. Thanks.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
If you've never vaped before, not even a cheap gas station disposable, you're going to cough and choke a bit until you get use to "vapor." I'm certain you did the same when you started smoking. What did you do? You smoked until you got used to it. The same with vaping. Vapor is not the same as smoke. You need time to adjust to it.

It could also be the quality of the juice. But if you've never vaped anything before, it's just because you're not used to it.

Welcome to ECF!

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX
I am new to vaping and I have an evod pro tank and battery. The e juice I use is either a 50/50 blend or 60/40 PG/VG blend. The nic level is 18 or below. Every flavor I hit as soon as I inhale I start an instant cough. I have inhaled many different ways as suggested on this forum. The only e liquid that does not do that is a chocolate blueberry and smooth menthol mix. Btw I have smoked menthols for 15 years. Any advice. Thanks.

First off, welcome to the ECF, hope you enjoy the stay!

Now, on to the meat of the topic....
What liquids ARE causing it? Where did you purchase them?

One thing to be aware of coming off the cigs, is that there are analgesics in cigarette smoke that cause a minor numbing of the throat/ nasal passages as well as the cillia in your lungs. Coughing after switching isn't all that uncommon. It could be as simple as this. It shouldn't last for too long though, if its still causing coughing in a few days with no change whatsoever, best to look at the other potential causes.

Could be that any number of things, really. So far all the posters here have suggested the number one cause of the coughing issues, perhaps the biggest being too deep of a drag... don't try "lung hits" (direct lung inhale) off the bat, because those will certainly knock you off your feet until you're used to them.

Try a "lighter" nicotine percentage, its possible that the 18mg stuff is too harsh to you.

It could be a PG allergy, but that is unlikely... its a very rare thing to have. But, in the interest of seeing what's causing it, trying a 100% VG juice would at least rule that out.

The flavors you mentioned sound rather smooth, so maybe its the flavors of the juice being too strong as well... I know if I hit one of my DIY's right after I've mixed it (I always drip a few drops to test it), it will be harsh and kick me in the chest a bit.

Its also simply possible due to the looser draw of a protank you're taking a much bigger hit than you think. Try the light draws and see if it helps at all.

That's about all I can come up with right now that might be causing the issues, hopefully one of us nailed it so we can help fix it.

Last edited:

Fyreffect

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
NC, USA
myworld.ebay.com
If you're new to it, it's a lot heavier vapor than regular cigarette smoke. It can take a little while to get used to but eventually you should acclimate within a week or two. Also as some have mentioned, try 100% VG liquid... liquid with any percentage of PG is going to be a little more intense.

There are some folks who aren't able to handle PG juice and have to smoke VG, you might be one of them but give it a little longer to be sure, and maybe try some sample from a different manufacturer.

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
It may be your inhaling technique. If you inhale like you did a cig, then you will likely cough at first. You need to adjust the way you drag....Try taking the vapor into your mouth slowly at first and just blow it out your nose. Do that a few times without hitting your lungs or throat. Then after a while take vapor in your mouth and open your mouth to let the vapor come out of your mouth...at the very end before all the vapor is out, take an inhale to bring remaining vapor into your throat or lungs. Do that to get use to the feeling, and inhaling will come natural.

I still get some coughing in the morning, on my first few drags but not as much as i did when I started.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
It may be your inhaling technique. If you inhale like you did a cig, then you will likely cough at first. You need to adjust the way you drag....Try taking the vapor into your mouth slowly at first and just blow it out your nose. Do that a few times without hitting your lungs or throat. Then after a while take vapor in your mouth and open your mouth to let the vapor come out of your mouth...at the very end before all the vapor is out, take an inhale to bring remaining vapor into your throat or lungs. Do that to get use to the feeling, and inhaling will come natural.

I still get some coughing in the morning, on my first few drags but not as much as i did when I started.

This. It's most likely your vaping techniques. You just really need to practice.

when i started because i was a deep long inhaler, i had to learn to take shallower draws into the mouth and then i built up slowly how much i took down now after 5 months i`m about back to where i was when smoking its an adjustment phase but you get through it, my daughter 21 is 2 months in and still tries to draw like she does on a rolli well you guessed it cough splutter everytime, i sat with her for prob ten minutes just guiding her through on drawing and she was getting better, the trick is to find what works for you we`re all different.

baileyn2golf

Jul 24, 2013
Apex NC
First I want to thank everyone's reply and warm welcome. I will look into everyone's suggestions some I have already looked into. Some I have not.

To answer some questions. This is my first attempt at vaping. I have researched it to the extreme. When I purchase juice I only purchase from reputable people/ and or business. So the quality if juice is good. My nic level is between 11-18. I don't have a burnt taste I know that when I taste that chances are something may need to be changed. Also someone mentioned change the power. I have a few different ones I use. I have a pyrex pro tank evod with an adjustable power battery. What's the best power to vape from. I am hoping it's just something that will wear off as I get use to it. Like few have mentioned. I do still smoke but have cut way down. From a pack and a half a day to just 4 or 5. I must be completely cigarette free by Oct 1st. To keep my insurance lower. So that is what even got me looking into this. I have only been doing this for a few weeks but already have over 500 dollars invested. I have around 40 different flavors and my goal is to one day DIY. But for now I am just getting use to hardware and liquid differences. Thanks again everyone.

dietcoke

Jul 19, 2013
Chicago, Il
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Attacking the poster, not the post
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread