Iphone Mod help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badnam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
atlanta, ga
Hi ECF, i am trying to make a pv out of a first gen iphone, I have 2 of these just lying around and thought to myself, lets do something productive with these.

I have gutted out the phone to where i just have the screen, bezel and the back plate, and the battery (1500mAH 3.7v). my first question is that the battery has 3 wires on it, red (positive), black (negative) and white (unknown-may be a ground), does any one know what the white wire is?

Second, since i need room for the all the other stuff, i removed the circuit board that was attached to the battery, now i need to figure out how to charge it, any one have any ideas on how to charge a cellphone battery with just wires or can i make some sort of a charging dock with contacts that would match up the contact on the battery.

I've looked on Radio Shack's website, they have some solor power kits, but dont know if those will charge a cell phone battery!

Any suggestion or comments would be a great help

Thanks
Badman

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Hi,
The white wire monitors the temperature of the battery and helps with the chargeing aspect. You can charge the battery with out the white wire, but at risk. If you use a low mA charger it should be ok. The problem is I do not know if the battery is a protected, I would think the protection for the battery is on the motherboard for the Iphone. So I would be careful charging that battery. It might be better to get a camera battery that has an IC protection on the battery that will fit inside of there. You could use a mini USB charger like this one:
2Pcs USB 5V Lithium Li-ion Battery 1 Cell Charger Board | eBay

Or take the charge circuit out of a standard USB ecig battery charger.

Hope this helps.
Dan

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Sorry about that, i just searched on youtube - "how to use a multimeter"

I did find another video that might be more helpfull - Simple Socket USB Charger - YouTube - Simple Socket USB Charger
Well he's calling it a 'charger', but it's really just a power supply. Hooking that directly to the battery will fry it.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
i have 2 iphones that have been gutted, one is intact, battery and motherboard, the other is jacked up due to my stupidity. The first iphone is ready to go, i need to know where to get atty connections and wires and any thing else i need

Welcome to MadVapes LLC
They should have everything you need!
Dan

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
You could use this Charger

I need to find one of these to charge 2 CR123 batteries for my upcoming project.
I want portable power form my 808 PT
Portable%20PT%20power.png

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
I saw that yesterday. In fact it was what got me thinking about mine. I want a power pack that I can plug in wile in the work truck and then just pull it out and throw it in my pocket to continue to power my PT while I'm working because I like the light weight of the 808 PT. I can comfortably hold it in my mouth while working with both hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread