Is Anodized Aluminum better than brass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    Aluminum is a good conductor in its own right. Ive got two of the anodized tubes, and compared to my Matte and Polished Nemesis's(everything is authentic), I dont notice a difference with anything hitting harder. They all preform more or less the same.. which is to say, absolutely excellent.

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
    Aug 16, 2013
    Zeeland, MI, USA
    As long as all contact points and threading are not Anodized it will work fine but the Anodizing itself is a poor conductor.
    As far as brass versus aluminum I suggest you look up the electrical properties of metals you will find that the resistance of even 316 stainless has a resistance so low its not going to produce a voltage drop in a mod that we could measure let alone notice.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 11, 2014
    Lansdale, PA, USA
    In what way do you mean better. The conductivity of both depend on what they are made of, both are alloys. Brass is mainly copper but the conductivity of brass is only about 30% of copper. The aluminum the tubes are made of are maid mainly of Aluminum but also have other metals added. If you are just looking at conductivity then the Aluminum is hands down the better conductor.

However, there is a problem. Aluminum when exposed to air creates a very film of aluminum oxide that is a poor conductor. Also two pieces of aluminum in close contact will tend to "rust" together. There is a fix and it is called noalox. It was developed for aluminum electrical wire and it contains a grease that will stop the pieces from sticking and zinc that cuts through the aluminum oxide and provides better electrical contact.

I think patinaed brass looks nicer that aluminum, brass does not scratch as easily, brass is heavier, depending on the exact alloy brass is stronger, and a few others but aluminum is a better conductor.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 11, 2014
    Lansdale, PA, USA
    Sorry, I found that some brass alloys are more conductive than some aluminum alloys. So, unless you know the alloys involved we can not say.

Also, as Ronald pointed out, anodizing is usually an insulator. Again, it depends on what was used to anodize and just what aluminum was anodized. Noalox will help.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread