Is polishing off patina ruining your MODS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
For anyone who owns a brass or copper mod knows you will eventually have a wanted or unwanted patina on your mod. Brass isn't as bad as a copper, since copper will turn green and so will your hands.

I've tried different polishes, usually Nevr-Dull and tried Brasso only with heavy patina all done by hand. Now after a short time, I feel like my mods look worse then before polishing especially compared to mods with multiple battery tubes.

The finish is different from color to texture and the laser etching isn't as deep and can't be felt anymore and barely seen.

Just wanted to see what other people's experiences are with this?

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I use a buffer so every time I polish a mod it comes out perfect. Laser etching is just that, it's not an engraving but rather a light etching into the side. It will get lighter with time no matter what the polishing method. It's the rub on tattoo of metal logos. Thank goodness most logos aren't worth saving.

Kanthal

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
NC, USΩ
uhh.. .I wish I had read this thread 2 hours ago. I just got back from shopping for a bottle of Brasso and a can of Never Dull. I have not used any of either product yet.

Two days ago I decided to clean my brass stingray mod for the first time with freshly squeezed lemon juice mixed with baking soda. It turned my mod very shiny but within an hour or so I could already tell it was losing it's shine.

I don't want to attempt putting on a polyurethane lacquer on my mod in fear that I would just make it look worse. I read on a few sites about people using car wax on brass and copper. If anyone knows of any better products that can be used to seal copper and brass and isn't too hard to work with please let me me know.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
I look at it like this: what's the lesser of two evils? ugly patina or losing your etching? I'm gonna look into how to keep my nicely polished mech shining like new without multiple polishings, Kanthal you've made me curious!

Ps. Found this: Look for lacquer made for metals. Apply three to five coats of clean lacquer. There is a spray on called ProtectaClear by Everbrite, $20, that states it doesn't yellow like lacquer and is specifically for metals that are handled alot.

Last edited:

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
I use a buffer so every time I polish a mod it comes out perfect. Laser etching is just that, it's not an engraving but rather a light etching into the side. It will get lighter with time no matter what the polishing method. It's the rub on tattoo of metal logos. Thank goodness most logos aren't worth saving.

Yeah, it's kind of sad that even most of the $200+ mods don't have real engraving. It was nice to see that the Stingrays went to a deeper engraving. Even my red/copper Stingray clone has some pretty deep engraving.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
I LOVE patina and other finishes. The first thing I do with most of my mods is figure out how to change the finish.

Be careful with the lacquer. It scratches easily and if you scratch it the metal will immediately begin to tarnish in the scratch. The only way to fix it is to take off the lacquer, polish, relacquer.

sfmc-x1

Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Bellingham, Wa
I have a couple of Neme's, and I don't mind the fact the copper one has faded and dulled and my hand smells like robot farts after holding it for too long. The only green build up that has occurred has been under the rotatable vent section of the top cap, probably from dirt & sweat.

Maybe one of these days I'll clean it off with some lemon or ketchup and a soft rag... One of these days.

Until then, I say embrace the patina.

Ryan Kelly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
my brass stingray will never look as amazing as it did when i first got it. after a week or two without polishing it turns almost a muster yellow color and i hate it because it looks like yellow plastic and not gold brass. when i polish it i literally sit down for half an hour using several rags or old tee shirts. it gets a little more shiny and clean looking but it will never have the mirror finish that it originally had. oh well

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
Yeah that's true, I actually realized that with light etching that it would be removed that's why I don't polish my brass mod much and one I want to rub the etching off. I have one that either was a deeper etching or light engraving that feels cheap now.

I'm wondering how my copper vanilla mod will hold up? I heard it was stamped not engraved. I don't want to ruin anymore mods since I just got it and haven't polished it yet.

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
The black etching on my Stingray vanished the second the lemon juice and baking soda hit it. Now it's just left with the engraving and to be honest I think it looks pretty good this way.
Nice to hear. I'm planning on trying to rub of the black chroming on my black and copper stingray. I had it clear wrapped to stop losing pieces of black and keep the engraving from patina but no it's turning green under the wrap still and I rarely use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread