Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebertshay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Rochester mn
Hi everyone,
ive been using a mech for a while now, and since I don't feel totally confident with knowing which batteries are safe, I've been using only aw imr. But....I have this other battery laying around and wondering if it would be safe to use. It is the pink 2600mah battery that came stock with my evic. Also, would it even work on my nemesis since it is not a button top?
ps if someone could point me to a thread that can teach me the in and outs of battery safety that'd be cool too:)
thanks everyone!

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,
ive been using a mech for a while now, and since I don't feel totally confident with knowing which batteries are safe, I've been using only aw imr. But....I have this other battery laying around and wondering if it would be safe to use. It is the pink 2600mah battery that came stock with my evic. Also, would it even work on my nemesis since it is not a button top?
ps if someone could point me to a thread that can teach me the in and outs of battery safety that'd be cool too:)
thanks everyone!

The replacement pink batteries for the eVic I've found have all been Samsung ICR's... ICR's, as far as I can tell, are just standard Li-ion.

According to this site:

ICR 18650-26F SAMSUNG - Rechargeable battery: Li-Ion | Transfer Multisort Elektronik

The amp limit of those batteries is about 5.2 amps, which at 4.2 volts is a little above 0.8 ohms.

However, regular Li-ions can be finicky. The eVic has a protection circuit, a mechanical will not. I'd say just go with the IMR's, there's no reason to risk your face. I only use mechs, and I've long since gotten rid of the regular Li-ions that used to be on my shelf.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As pointed out above, that probably is an ICR battery. But unless you know for certain whether an ICR battery is protected, and also know it's C rating or amp limit in continuous discharge rate, I would not use it.

I've seen too many inappropriate batteries that were thrown into a mod kit made in China that were either generic batteries of unknown quality or chemistry or, un-protected ICR batteries, neither of which should be used in a mod. It's just not worth the risk. It makes me wonder just who is putting these packages together, because they obviously don't know their batteries or care about their customer's safety.

Richard75 said the amp limit for the battery is 5.2 amps. But the product description in the link says the "maximum current" is 5.2 amps. Are we all talking about the same thing here? Maximum current and amps in continuous discharge rate could be two different things.

Regulated VV/VW mods have built-in protective circuitry which may give you some lee-way with ICR batteries. Yet they perform better if a "high drain" IMR or hybrid battery is used in them. We all know that a mechanical mod has no protection circuitry, so your choice in batteries becomes even more critical.

ICR batteries are known for their higher capacities and are suited for the average vapor's device, but they are not at all well suited for use in advanced devices.

Using Ohm's Law, running a device at 4.2v with a 1.8 ohm coil will draw 2.3 amps from the battery. This is safely below the 2.65 amp rating of the average 2600 mAh ICR 18650 battery. However, using a homemade 1.0 ohm coil at 4.2v on a RBA will draw 4.2 amps which is way over that battery's rating and would not be safe to use.

Bottom line, you'll be safer using an IMR or hybrid chemistry battery (both of which are safe chemistry) than an ICR battery (whether it is protected or not). A large list of IMR and hybrid batteries are in the following link:

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread