Is vaping changing the way sugar affects me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signmeupmeow

Jul 18, 2012
Australia
Ok so i'm about 2 months into vaping now. The switch has been remarkable easy for me as 16year smoker. I havnt touched an analogue and dont really see myself every having another one. I'm at a good stage where im comfortable with my gear and juice.

But, every since ive stopped ive noticed that sugar is causing me issues. I had a glass of coke last night at about 730pm, and for the rest of the night my hearts pounding and i feel on edge for hours. I went to bed at 12pm and struggled to get to sleep till maybe 130am.

I notice this during the day too, if i have a sugary drink at lunch, my heart starts beating faster and im on edge for the rest of the afternoon at work. This also makes me pretty tired after it calms down.

I've been trying to cut out sugar from my diet, but i give in now and then.

Does anyone else get this?

IS this due to vaping or is it due to me not smoking?

Should i see a doctor?

Thanks in advance.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Signmeup, If given the opportunity I would at minimum have a conversation with the doc. But otherwise have you begun to taper off the nic toward bed time, either by changing the amount you vape or the actual concentration if nic in your liquid? This may be beneficial to you in a number of ways. If I vape too much before bed I will have toss/turn and general lack of ability to fall asleep. It was my wife who suggested that I vape less before bed. She was dead correct. I enjoy vaping so I have gone down to zero nic after 8pm. I generally go to bed around 11pm, but everyone is different. The sugar thing may also be due to the fact you have a lot of nic in your system and it is the thing that pushes you past the point of being comfortable. Your body will generally tell you when it is time to change something, and I would take this as one of those signs. Maybe you just need to drop down a notch on you liquid strength..... Let us know what helps. Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
Coke has caffeine. I had to stop drinking Coke before bed because I would stay up all night too. I used to be able to drink a whole pot of coffee and now one cup does me. When you quit smoking whether cold turkey or not caffeine affects your body differently. I also had to quit vaping just before bed even the low 6mg made me sleepless.

signmeupmeow

Jul 18, 2012
Australia
I'm on 8-12 mg/ml juice. I dont vape a crazy amount and without the sugar in my system i feel fine. This is why I'm reluctant to think it's the amount of nicotine, as i reckon i would of had more nic in my system when i used to smoke (although its hard to tell).

With the sleepless nights, i was having a very difficult time getting to sleep and staying asleep in the first 6weeks. I increased my drinking to every night to counteract this. I'm definitely sleeping better without the grog but the sugar causes problems.

I need to do more testing but i think i will definitely see the doc.

signmeupmeow

Jul 18, 2012
Australia
Coke has caffeine. I had to stop drinking Coke before bed because I would stay up all night too. I used to be able to drink a whole pot of coffee and now one cup does me. When you quit smoking whether cold turkey or not caffeine affects your body differently. I also had to quit vaping just before bed even the low 6mg made me sleepless.

I'm am starting to think that the analogues tend to negate the effects of caffeine and sugar in the system. Coffee and sugar barely affected me before i quit. It's a different story now.

CayCay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2011
Austin TX
I cant drink a soda after 7/8 pm because it will wire me. Same with vaping. I love to chain vape in bed while watching tv and then I struggle to fall asleep. Maybe buy a bottle or two of your favorites in a low nic level, I call them my bed time vapes.

Or a nic overload.... like when you get a bunch of juice in the mail and you try them all at once... then it feels like you just slammed a red bull....

Last edited:

Marcella

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi signmeupnow!

You don't state your age or if you're a female... but I'm a 53 year old female, vaping 8 months now. I also cut way back on caffeine, right about he same time. My heart rate went down hugely (which is a good thing!) but I had weird symptoms, some similar to yours so I got a full check-up with my doctor including blood tests. Lo and behold, I'm now "hypothyroid" (my doctor says it's nothing to do with vaping, it's just a very common occurrence with age 45+ females). It made me want to go to sleep after every meal!

Now I'm on medicine for that, feeling much better. So you might want to consider talking to your doctor. If you're a female over age 40 then some of your symptoms may actually be due to menopause plus all it's not-so-fun side effects

signmeupmeow

Jul 18, 2012
Australia
Hi signmeupnow!

You don't state your age or if you're a female... but I'm a 53 year old female, vaping 8 months now. I also cut way back on caffeine, right about he same time. My heart rate went down hugely (which is a good thing!) but I had weird symptoms, some similar to yours so I got a full check-up with my doctor including blood tests. Lo and behold, I'm now "hypothyroid" (my doctor says it's nothing to do with vaping, it's just a very common occurrence with age 45+ females). It made me want to go to sleep after every meal!

Now I'm on medicine for that, feeling much better. So you might want to consider talking to your doctor. If you're a female over age 40 then some of your symptoms may actually be due to menopause plus all it's not-so-fun side effects

I sure hope its not menopause, I'm a 32 y/o male. :)

I'll definitely go and get a check up.

I dont believe its the caffeine as i've recently dropped sugar from my coffee and symptoms drop off. I'm pretty sure its a sugar thing.

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Hyperglycemia is the condition that is caused by being a nicotine addict. This is not affected unless you quit taking in nicotine. By that measure, becoming a vaper instead of a smoker will not cause you to gain weight. The reason your heart is pounding, in my own experience with this (and the entire reason I quit smoking), is probably something closer to pulmonary adema i.e. fluid in your lungs i.e. you need to cough some stuff up/you're not getting a good blood ox.

You can try laying off the nicotine before bed if you think that's ok to do for your addiction but, honestly, over time, it gets better. It still happens to me, most often when I'm drunk, but I'd be a liar if I said that after 7 months I'm 100% better. Exercise doesn't necessarily fix it, but it does help. Get yourself short of breath at very least once a day. Jumping Jacks, run, do the horizontal mambo, whatever. You choose. Hope this helps. Once again, I'm not a doctor, I'm just a smartas# with problems. :)

Also, for the record, I have not been addicted to or used caffeine for at least 5 years. My primary liquid intake is water, tea, or various forms of alcohol. That's it. I do not stray. Don't necessarily put this on caffeine, but not being an addict of it is always helpful. Caffeine is stupid (and expensive) IMO. If you don't have the energy to get through your day without it you should adjust your sleeping, diet, and exercise habits. Cavemen didn't have caffeine, but they survived, and yet here we are. If they can do it so can you.

Last edited:

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com

I dont believe its the caffeine as i've recently dropped sugar from my coffee and symptoms drop off. I'm pretty sure its a sugar thing.

Is it accompanied by irritability, mood swings, hot flashes, or mania?

signmeupmeow

Jul 18, 2012
Australia
I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Hyperglycemia is the condition that is caused by being a nicotine addict. This is not affected unless you quit taking in nicotine. By that measure, becoming a vaper instead of a smoker will not cause you to gain weight. The reason your heart is pounding, in my own experience with this (and the entire reason I quit smoking), is probably something closer to pulmonary adema i.e. fluid in your lungs i.e. you need to cough some stuff up/you're not getting a good blood ox.

You can try laying off the nicotine before bed if you think that's ok to do for your addiction but, honestly, over time, it gets better. It still happens to me, most often when I'm drunk, but I'd be a liar if I said that after 7 months I'm 100% better. Exercise doesn't necessarily fix it, but it does help. Get yourself short of breath at very least once a day. Jumping Jacks, run, do the horizontal mambo, whatever. You choose. Hope this helps. Once again, I'm not a doctor, I'm just a smartas# with problems. :)

Also, for the record, I have not been addicted to or used caffeine for at least 5 years. My primary liquid intake is water, tea, or various forms of alcohol. That's it. I do not stray. Don't necessarily put this on caffeine, but not being an addict of it is always helpful. Caffeine is stupid (and expensive) IMO. If you don't have the energy to get through your day without it you should adjust your sleeping, diet, and exercise habits. Cavemen didn't have caffeine, but they survived, and yet here we are. If they can do it so can you.

Sleeping isnt the main issue. The issue is my heart starts racing, i have trouble concentrating, and feel generally on edge. After the rush dies down, im extremely sleepy. This happens any time in the day shortly after i have sugar.

Today im feeling fine, its 3pm in the afternoon, i had a coffee this morning (no sugar), ive had lunch and been drinking water and vaping away at work at my desk. If i had a sugary drink at lunch, my heart would be racing right now and i'd be nodding off as well.

I'm not overweight, but I dont exercise at all, i know i need to change this and i do plan to but i'm lazy and a chronic procrastinator.

Anyway, it seems this is not so common with Vaping so ill get a check up and let you know how it turns out.

flowerchild

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
In the forest waitakere nz

:laugh: when I started vapeing and cut the anologes down to a couple a day I started drinking coffee, Ive never liked coffee and was a stictly tea drinker..I have taken sleeping pills for years so not noticed vapeing keeping me awake anymore than usual. I know when Ive had enough as the nic makes me nauseous.

hrlw817

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2012
St. Charles, MO
Ok so i'm about 2 months into Vaping now. The switch has been remarkable easy for me as 16year smoker. I havnt touched an analogue and dont really see myself every having another one. I'm at a good stage where im comfortable with my gear and juice.

But, every since ive stopped ive noticed that sugar is causing me issues. I had a glass of coke last night at about 730pm, and for the rest of the night my hearts pounding and i feel on edge for hours. I went to bed at 12pm and struggled to get to sleep till maybe 130am.

I notice this during the day too, if i have a sugary drink at lunch, my heart starts beating faster and im on edge for the rest of the afternoon at work. This also makes me pretty tired after it calms down.

I've been trying to cut out sugar from my diet, but i give in now and then.

Does anyone else get this?

IS this due to vaping or is it due to me not smoking?

Should i see a doctor?

Thanks in advance.

For me, vaping made me cut back on sweets and caffeine, and I have been vaping for over a year now. I used to eat some kind of treat after lunch and dinner, like a Twinkie, Swiss Cake Rolls, even a brownie. I now only have a Twinkie every 4 days or so now. I also used to drink lots of Pepsi, Coke, or anything with caffeine and I would drink around 8 to 10 20 ounce bottles a DAY. Now, I cut out all my caffeine, and drink maybe 3 20 ounce bottles of Sprite or 7-UP.

Now, my wife used to drink a 12 pack of Coke every other day. Since she started vaping 8 months ago, she drinks a few cans of Pepsi Next a day now. She will give in and drink a Coke every couple of days.

Apptiger

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
West Central Florida
Recommend a trip to the doctor. Sounds like you need to get your blood checked. Specifically your HBA1C and your current blood sugar. A coke by itself shouldn't be doing this unless your blood sugar is already close to off the charts.
Would also recommend a diary of what you consume. Write everything down. It will help the doc with diagnosing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread