Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    Hello everyone,
    one of my friends told me he had this eGrip VT mod purchased about a year and a half ago, he tried it but when there was a problem with the temp control/coils he just put it back to the package. Now he "found" it again and is asking to help him figure it out.
    As the previous VT topic is closed now, I'll try to ask here, hope the VT/Ego one users would be able to answer these questions:

1. Is the firmware for VT upgradable (how to do it)? Were there any new versions released during the last 18 months and is it worth making this upgrade - did it improve anything?
    2. Regarding the ego one coils, before the first use, do they need to be moisturized with the e-juice inside first or it's ok to just (re)fill the juice tank and wait for like 5-10 mins before using them?
    3. what are the best temp. and wattage ranges for each type - CL, CL-Ti and CL-Ni coils?

Thanks in advance for answering.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    temperature set at 250°C max and start at the lowest wattage rating on the coil installed.

Thanks for answering, but did you actually use the VT model and the mentioned types of coils? As far as I know, they have slightly but different ranges of temp/wattage and they are even working in different modes on VT model. So it's not all the same for every coil in this case.

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    dreamvaper, temperature will be fine at max 250°C or less as different temperatures are needed to vaporize different molecules that can be present in e liquids.

But you certainly understand that it's best to use a coil in its recommended wattage range, or no at least no higher that stated. Lower is fine.

And with some mods Temperature Control, they use a wattage setting. This is what is initially sent to the coil and when it reaches approximate temperature it will reduce power and adjust it accordingly to keep coil at temperature. So a higher setting would give you a warmer and harsher vape.

Hope this is a bit more useful for you.

• Informative
    Reactions: dreamvaper

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
    Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    Apologies - I have one, but only use it in power mode. Priming should be fine either way, but as Mordacai says, doing both won't hurt.

At the risk of being mistaken, I think wattage is fixed in TC modes - mine shows a different value using Ni/Ti and doesn't seem to retain my VW setting. I can only adjust the temperature.

• Informative

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    mine shows a different value using Ni/Ti and doesn't seem to retain my VW setting. I can only adjust the temperature.

Oh, that actually might be a nice feature if the VT can understand which coil head is used and adjusts the best wattage to it in temp. mode. I think only 1 type works in wattage adjustable mode, but not sure which one of them, probably the CL only coil.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
    Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    It may choose based on coil resistance, or it might just go to max wattage (have a funny feeling it does). I think you press the fire button 3x to cycle through the VW/Ni/Ti modes, then use the wheel to adjust.

AFAIK, the CL coils with the black o-rings are the VW coils (see this page). The TC coils should be marked as such and have a much lower resistance.

• Informative

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    To be honest I think the best thing your friend can do is toss that VT back in the fergeddaboutit pile.
    I bought one about 6 months ago as an experiment. Tried to vape it for about half an hour and threw it back at it's box.
    To begin with the CL coils are trash. I bought it because I had found a simple hack on YouTube that supposedly allowed use of the far superior CLR coils. Behing a huge fan of the CLR I decided to give it a try.
    To begin with the airflow was far more open than the original egrip 20w, wouldn't work for me. Can't remember which CL coil I stuck in it, Ti or Ni, but at lower temp settings it was dismally under productive. Crank the temp up for better cloud and it was too hot. Without the ability to adjust wattage in temp mode it's pretty much a 'take what ya get' situation. Never even bothered with the CLR experiment just tossed it.
    My very first vape was the egrip 20w and I loved it. First time I saw the newer ones with a screen on them I knew they had ruined it.

• Agree
    Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    That's strange, at VT topic I mentioned in the 1st post, a lot of VT users were naming one of the biggest cons of the mod - not enough airflow and one of them suggested to drill an extra hole in the CL base which helped.

I totally agree with my dear friend @Foggy Road --it's not worth the trouble. Egrip was not one of Joyetech's best offerings and was not very well received. It's an old and flawed technology. There are so many inexpensive little mods and tanks with simple drop-in coils; trouble-free and satisfying.

I know it's not the answer you were hoping for, but sometimes it's best to just move on to something better.

Reactions: Foggy Road

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    but sometimes it's best to just move on to something better.
    sure, I understand and he will probably don't use it for a long time, he just needed one compact stealth vape right now and remembered about the VT. He also has the Aegis Legend which is about 3 times bigger.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I see. Then follow the advice of the actual users above. I'm only familiar with cl coils that came with eGo One tanks, and they were all disappointing--tight, little flavor, little vapor, didn't last. CLR coils are wonderful and easy to maintain and rebuild, but they are not compatible with the eGrip, unfortunately. Sorry I can't be of more help.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    cl coils that came with eGo One tanks
    I'm pretty sure the same CL One coils are used in eGrip model.

they are not compatible with the eGrip
    As I understood from the VT topic, they are compatible, the only thing is you have to remove the inner metal ring from it. What about the juice leakage on CLR coils, did you have that problem?

Reactions: Foggy Road

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I'm pretty sure the same CL One coils are used in eGrip model.

As I understood from the VT topic, they are compatible, the only thing is you have to remove the inner metal ring from it. What about the juice leakage on CLR coils, did you have that problem?

Mine never leak, but I use them in eGo One tanks. With modifications, I don't know. I have no idea if they would leak if you removed the metal ring (?).

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX

That is the hack that I was going to try when I ordered the VT. But since the airflow wasn't to my liking I never got to it.
    I had been DL about 2 years with the ego ones and CLRs. When I decided to go back MTL I couldn't use the ego ones anymore either. Even with the AFC fully closed they were too airy for. Only bought the VT hoping to have a use for my lifetime supply of CLR coils. Didn't work out tho.:yawn:

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
    Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    I think it's loose enough for restricted lung hits, so it makes sense that people might make changes. I bought mine on the assumption it was an MTL device. I think its 30W limit fooled me (and it looked ok too).

Its draw may be restrictive for some, but if you're used to a Nautilus, the VT is quite airy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread