Juice has arrived, advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmoker

Apr 20, 2009
UK
Ok, so part of my juice order arrived today, a couple of small bottles from Janty - cola and strawberry.

I went ahead and cleaned/washed out one of the carts that came with my 901 (cleaned the wool under hot water, same with the cart casing, dried it all off etc etc, that right?) and went right ahead to refill it with the cola. I also blew out my atty before starting to make sure (as much as possible) that it was also clean.

Now, I have watched a lot of the vids on here about topping off and refilling etc, but in my excitement just went ahead without re-watching any of these, which might have been a mistake. I put about 6 drops into the cart and 2 on the atomiser (which I still think is wearing in at the moment - only a couple of days old) and went ahead to give it a try.

Now, I could taste the cola flavour, although it wasn't very strong, but I'm still getting a pretty poor amount of vapour at the moment. I know this is a common complaint amongst us newbies, but I wonder if anyone has any specific advice or has had similar issues and might be able to help?

Should I completely clean out my atty with hot water (or coke, or what?) and try again? I think the second time I topped off, I may have over-filled, as juice was pooling a little on the top of the wool in the cart, although strangely it was this time that the best vapour was produced.

The strange thing I've found throughout so far is that if I take a drag and just hold it in my mouth, then exhale, the amount of vapour is excellent. However, if I take a proper throat/lung hit as I might do on an analog (after taking it into my mouth first though, as I have been recommended on here), then the vapour on exhale is significantly less. Now I know that obviously not all of the vapour I see when mouth-hitting can be expected to come back when I lung hit, that's obvious, but the contrast is striking to me, and doesn't seem consistent with videos I have watched on here and elsehwere.

So any advice would be much appreciated, I'm heading out now, so will try again later and see how I get on. I don't think I'm puffing too hard, which I know can also cause problems and is common amongst n00bs used to analogs, as if I was to draw any lighter, the LED wouldn't even come on. I am also taking a primer puff as recommended, but perhaps the length/strength of that is too much. I am still getting an occassional burnt taste, but I presume that is either to drawing too hard/long and heating the atty arc too much, or because there is still some primer on the atomiser itself.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts please! I'm looking forward to trying more flavours and juice, but want to get this right first before I go spunking any more money.

P.S. How worried should I be about getting juice on my fingers etc? I am washing my hands whenever I have blatantly got it on there, but should I be concerned about any small cuts on my fingers, or in my mouth? Obviously I know I don't want nic juice in my bloodstream or it's goodnight Vienna!

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
Ok, so part of my juice order arrived today, a couple of small bottles from Janty - cola and strawberry.

I went ahead and cleaned/washed out one of the carts that came with my 901 (cleaned the wool under hot water, same with the cart casing, dried it all off etc etc, that right?) and went right ahead to refill it with the cola. I also blew out my atty before starting to make sure (as much as possible) that it was also clean.

Now, I have watched a lot of the vids on here about topping off and refilling etc, but in my excitement just went ahead without re-watching any of these, which might have been a mistake. I put about 6 drops into the cart and 2 on the atomiser (which I still think is wearing in at the moment - only a couple of days old) and went ahead to give it a try.

Now, I could taste the cola flavour, although it wasn't very strong, but I'm still getting a pretty poor amount of vapour at the moment. I know this is a common complaint amongst us newbies, but I wonder if anyone has any specific advice or has had similar issues and might be able to help?

Should I completely clean out my atty with hot water (or coke, or what?) and try again? I think the second time I topped off, I may have over-filled, as juice was pooling a little on the top of the wool in the cart, although strangely it was this time that the best vapour was produced.

The strange thing I've found throughout so far is that if I take a drag and just hold it in my mouth, then exhale, the amount of vapour is excellent. However, if I take a proper throat/lung hit as I might do on an analog (after taking it into my mouth first though, as I have been recommended on here), then the vapour on exhale is significantly less. Now I know that obviously not all of the vapour I see when mouth-hitting can be expected to come back when I lung hit, that's obvious, but the contrast is striking to me, and doesn't seem consistent with videos I have watched on here and elsehwere.

So any advice would be much appreciated, I'm heading out now, so will try again later and see how I get on. I don't think I'm puffing too hard, which I know can also cause problems and is common amongst n00bs used to analogs, as if I was to draw any lighter, the LED wouldn't even come on. I am also taking a primer puff as recommended, but perhaps the length/strength of that is too much. I am still getting an occassional burnt taste, but I presume that is either to drawing too hard/long and heating the atty arc too much, or because there is still some primer on the atomiser itself.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts please! I'm looking forward to trying more flavours and juice, but want to get this right first before I go spunking any more money.

P.S. How worried should I be about getting juice on my fingers etc? I am washing my hands whenever I have blatantly got it on there, but should I be concerned about any small cuts on my fingers, or in my mouth? Obviously I know I don't want nic juice in my bloodstream or it's goodnight Vienna!

Your atomizer probably isn't broken in yet if you just got your stuff. It can take a day or so in some cases. I really doubt it's necessary to clean it at this point unless you're just doing it to get a flavor out of it.

If you're going to be messing with juices, go to a beauty supply store and buy a box of gloves, you can get a big box of 100 for under 10.00...I actually just got a box for 5.00 on sale. (They come in handy for LOTS of things, spray painting, handling raw meat when cooking, etc.) I used 24mg juice when I made my first batch and I did have redness/rash where I had inadvertantly rubbed my arm. I think I was pushing up my sleeve, I didn't even realize it. I've seen posts where some people get juice in their mouth and as far as I know, no one has croaked yet. If you get it on bare skin just wash it well.

Make sure your cartridges are moist, dry ones will also cause the burnt taste and you might want to make sure the filler isn't sticking to the atty, which will also cause it.

I've taken the filling out of my cartridges and put it back in also. If you don't get it in right, it will really affect your draw. I won't do that again until I get much more proficient at it. The ones I didn't mess with work really well, the ones I did are hit or miss. You can use a syringe with warm water and flood the cartridges a few times to clean them and then you're not messing with the filler.

I'm a newbie here also so that's about all I can offer. Hope it helps a little.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
1. It takes usually a half day to two days to break in an atomizer, so don't be too concerned about your initial experience.

2. Every time you clean the atomizer it is somewhat like a new atomizer again in that you have to put a few drops of juice on it and prime it.

3. Washing the filler and reusing is fine. We all do that. You can get a $6 bag of polyestor batting at Wal-Mart for new filler that will last like 2 years.

4. I get juice (24mg) on my hands all the time and have for months with no adverse effects. I just wash it off and have several moist wash cloths around the house just for that purpose and I keep pre-moistened wipes in the car, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread