Juice / Tobacco Equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick30uk

Oct 29, 2009
London, UK
Hi all,

Have very recently started vaping, loving it and it virtually eliminates my craving for tobacco.

Question regarding how much liquid equates to an analogue. How many drags on an ecig equates to smoking 1 analogue?

My juice is Totally Wicked 18mg - I smoked Marlboro Lights which are 0.5mg nicotine - does that mean my juice has 36 times more nicotine content and therefore 1 drag on my 510 = 36 drags on a Marlboro Light?!

props76

Moved On
Sep 22, 2009
No... My rule of thumb is 10%.

So using your example of 18 mg/ml juice.. (remeber is mg of nic in 1 ml)

5 drops in one session for around 20-40 pulls = 0.25ml of ejuice used..

0.25ml x 18 mg/ml = 4.5 mg of nicotine in the liquid you used in one session before refilling.

Now comes the 10% rule. You seem to only obsorbe 10% as compaired to an analog smoke, so...

4.5 mg * 10% = 0.45 mg right about 1 Marlboro light...

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
Forget trying to figure it out by drags. What you want to do is multiply the number of cigs you smoked per day, multiply that by .5 mg and you have your old nic intake. If you were a pack a day smoker @.5 mg per cig your daily intake was 10 mg. 18mg juice is probably stronger than what you need. Average usage is about 2ml per day, so you would be getting 3.6 times your old intake. Of course absorption rates with PV's is still a big question, I've seen estimates as low as 10%. My recommendation would be to get yourself some PG and/or VG and cut that juice down to about 5 mg. Just cut one or two carts worth to begin with. If you find you're still having cravings, make the next batch a little stronger & kind of play with it until you find the strength that works best for you. Remember you will be diluting the flavor too, so you might want to buy some flavorings as well, though honestly I wouldn't do that part until you figure out the right strength. I'm actually vaping unflavored juice at the moment because I couldn't find any flavorings locally & haven't gotten an order in yet.

Mordred

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
does that mean my juice has 36 times more nicotine content and therefore 1 drag on my 510 = 36 drags on a Marlboro Light?!

Hell no. It would seem that we are getting a lot LESS nicotine from vaping then we used to get from smoking. I´ve been pretty much chain vaping 11 mg TW liquid all evening, if I chain-smoked my old analogs like that, I´d probably be dead. ;)

I had the problem, in the beginning, that I was using the 11 mg stuff like a cigarette, i.e. taking cigarette breaks with my co-workers. It kept me off analogs, but I would get cranky. Not like going cold-turkey, but certainly not like smoking. I´ve since upped my intake and that seems to work perfectly.

I´m trying 24 mg juice now during the day to get "quick fixes" and 11 mg during my lunchbreak and in the evening. Also looking into snus to use at work, since my workplace doesn´t like me vaping inside, so I still have to freeze my .... off outside with the smokers. ;)

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
People are always comparing apples and oranges on this:

0.5mg/0.8mg/1.0mg per cigarette is the amount of nicotine absorbed (not the amount contained in each cigarette. The amount contained in each ciggie is much much higher.... I have heard figures of between 12mg and 20mg per cigarette quoted)

12mg/18mg/24mg/36mg is the amount contained in each ml of liquid - not the amount absorbed. As yet, we do not have accurate figures as to how much is absorbed by the body, but what information we do have suggests that anywhere between 10% and 40% is absorbed (and there are so many factors that can affect this including the liquid you are using and the device you are using it in, and, of course, the human factor - ie how you draw on your ecig)

Just listen to your body and do what feels right for you, is my advice ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread