Just got my first RBA- The Mephisto...wasn't what I thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metimbo

Jan 5, 2015
Memphis, TN
Well, like the title says, I just got my first RBA, the Mephisto. I built a dual coil with 24 gauge Kanthal that is 0.47 ohms. I have been on the Aspire Atlantis with the CF Sub Ohm battery and I love it. I am also firing the Mephisto on the CF Sub Ohm battery. It took me a few tries to get the wicking right, I was using way too little cotton but finally got it pretty good.

With all that said, I am a bit let down on the flavor. I was under the impression that a RBA would have a lot better flavor than a tank and that is simply not the case here. I don't know if I am doing something wrong in my build or what. Also, it takes a couple of seconds for the coils to get warm to get a good vape and by then the vape is pretty hot. I feel like there should be a medium somewhere in there that would produce more flavor. And the Mephisto seems to produce about the same amount of vapor as my Atlantis, just a bit less flavor which seems weird to me.

I am thinking of getting a mech mod (Stingray X maybe) with some good batteries (VTC 4 or 5 if I can find them). Or I might get the Istick 50w when it comes out. But I don't think that is my issue.

Any suggestions as far as flavor?

~Metimbo

EvilGenius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
nj
really? I was looking at the rda too, is it a clone or the real thing by el diablo? the troll by wofoto is good for flavor and vapor production, just sucks trying to get the barrel off the deck

I use .3 ohms for home use and sometimes .5 - .7 ohms

you're using the same ejuice I am assuming right?

can you show a pic of your coils? a .4 ohm build should heat up fast, do you have spacing within your coils? what mech mod are you using now?

as far as the stingray, I have some video reviews on my youtube account where I show it and do some reviewing on it

Last edited:

msmith4512

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
New York, NY
For Flavor, it helps to build coils close to air flow holes. Also, 24g is a really thick wire for the flavor chaser. The extra thickness means it will take longer for coils to heat up. Less of an issue if your taking long pulls for deep lung hits and big clouds. I run 28g or 30g at 1-1.5 ohms on regulated mods and use the device to push up my voltage and wattage. Using the Aspire battery, you're locked to 4.2V, so you need to build at .5-.7 ohms to get lots of wattage. I'd try two 6 wrap 3mm 28g coils, which will be about .5 ohms. Keep the cotton fairly slack as to not choke your wicks. Also, use just enough to touch the deck and absorb juice. No need to fill the deck with cotton.

Metimbo

Jan 5, 2015
Memphis, TN
20150127_215328.jpg

I know they aren't the prettiest, but not bad for my first try lol.

~Metimbo

Metimbo

Jan 5, 2015
Memphis, TN
Using the Aspire battery, you're locked to 4.2V, so you need to build at .5-.7 ohms to get lots of wattage. I'd try two 6 wrap 3mm 28g coils, which will be about .5 ohms. Keep the cotton fairly slack as to not choke your wicks. Also, use just enough to touch the deck and absorb juice. No need to fill the deck with cotton.

Cool! I will get me some 28 gauge and try that out. That might be my problem. I am doing longer lung hits, but it gets really hot and the flavor seems to go away. Sounds like the smaller gauge will help that.

Metimbo

Jan 5, 2015
Memphis, TN
I am wrapping on a 9/64th drill bit which seems to be about 3.5mm according to google. So, maybe go to 3mm (about 1/8 inch drill bit) and 6 wraps? According to Steam Engine, that would come out to about 0.70 ohms. 4-5 wraps would be about 0.50 ohms which is what I am shooting for. I might try that out and see what happens tomorrow )

Thanks for all the help everyone! 10 weeks not smoking analogs today!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Well, like the title says, I just got my first RBA, the Mephisto. I built a dual coil with 24 gauge Kanthal that is 0.47 ohms. I have been on the Aspire Atlantis with the CF Sub Ohm battery and I love it. I am also firing the Mephisto on the CF Sub Ohm battery. It took me a few tries to get the wicking right, I was using way too little cotton but finally got it pretty good.

With all that said, I am a bit let down on the flavor. I was under the impression that a RBA would have a lot better flavor than a tank and that is simply not the case here. I don't know if I am doing something wrong in my build or what. Also, it takes a couple of seconds for the coils to get warm to get a good vape and by then the vape is pretty hot. I feel like there should be a medium somewhere in there that would produce more flavor. And the Mephisto seems to produce about the same amount of vapor as my Atlantis, just a bit less flavor which seems weird to me.

I am thinking of getting a mech mod (Stingray X maybe) with some good batteries (VTC 4 or 5 if I can find them). Or I might get the Istick 50w when it comes out. But I don't think that is my issue.

Any suggestions as far as flavor?

~Metimbo

24 gauge is very thick;

30 gauge is a good all round gauge
28 is often used in rebuildables.

experienced people use thicker gauges
thicker gauge needs more power per coil ohm

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I got a roll of 24 gauge and 26 gauge from Temco the other day and my first build was with the 24 and IMO the flavor isn't there like it should be. My next was 26 and it did a bit better but I still like the 28 gauge for my all round atty building and flavor.

thicker gauge needs more power per ohm to get up to temperature

Metimbo

Jan 5, 2015
Memphis, TN
Thanks for all the responses. I ended up focusing more on my wicking (after a good cleaning). Both of those seemed to be my issue. I think I had some machine oil in there giving a weird flavor and I was choking out my coils by having too much cotton wedged in the coil.

I just build a dual coil parallel 28 gauge @ .26 ohms and it is rocking! SOOOO much better than my Atlantis in flavor and vapor (and that is hard to do b/c I love my Atlantis!)

Thanks for all the help everyone!
~Metimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread