Just tried for first time today and have ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSimms

Jan 31, 2014
Houston
So I just got my Halo Triton in today. Been a smoker for 17 yrs and ready for a change. Right now I am trying out the Torque56 and im not sure if its because it needs to be broken in or maybe im doing something wrong but it seems quite harsh. Ive been smoking marlboro mediums or "red label" for quite a few years so its not as if im a light smoker. Is that just the liquid that I have or does it take aome getting used to? I also ordered the tribeca but have notyet tried it, what are the thoughts between the two? I didnt think I wanted the gourmet flavors but after trying this they may be the better way to go?

ZombieJuice

Nov 12, 2013
Kentucky
What nic level are you using? I assume by harsh you are talking about excessive throat hit or possibly a dry hit. You could try switching tanks or getting some different juice. vaping is not always harsh once you find the right juice and atomizer you should be more than happy.

Odds are its your juice or your atomizer. Maybe a wicking issue but its really hard to tell from just your post, we would need a little more information and possibly clarification on what "harsh" means to you.

Stick with it, it is more than worth it...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hey Simms,

I just started vaping a week ago and am trying to quit smoking as well. I used to smoke Camel Lights. The first couple days that I began using my vape was pretty rough on my throat. I found that if I adjusted the voltage on my piece down to a lower level it helped me to avoid so much vapor and in turn lead to less throat irritation. I now have it adjusted to a normal level and have not had any problems. I have also heard that the level of nicotine in your juice can create an uncomfortable experience. I hope that some of this helps.

Good Luck Quitting

HighEnergyProton

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Germany
The nicotine level is 18mg. I will def keep giving it a shot just wasnt sure what to expect. The kit came w 2 tanks and will probably try the tribeca here shortly. By harsh im talking about being rough on my throat almost like I cant even enjoy the flavor.

Try a lower voltage setting. I've been vaping for a while and still vape on 3.2 volts, it's my happy place. Also drink lots of water, staying hydrated will help with the throat irritation. I drink tea instead of water though, but that's the Irish for yer :D

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Thanks for all the feedback. What about trying new flavors, is that just as easy as washing out the tank and putting a new flavor in? Sorry for any maybe dumb questions.

Yes, it's pretty much just that easy. At least that's how I do it and it works for me. Like others have said, be sure you are inhaling properly. I kept trying to use my device like I would smoke a cigarette and it was not pleasant for me. Slow inhale, keep in your mouth a moment, and exhale from mouth and nose. Some people actually "inhale" into their lungs like you would a cigarette, but I don't.

I was a 40 year 2 pack a day smoker and I know how to smoke. I had to learn how to vape.:)

I thought I wanted to start with tobacco flavors, and I found them harsh, too. I went back to the vape shop and got some Banana Nut Bread, of all things. Felt really silly buying it, but loved it so much more than the tobacco flavors. Now I've branched out to things like Cinnamon Roll and Butterscotch.

Good luck to you, and keep experimenting. You will find what works for you.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Unfortunately if you have the straight Triton (not the variable voltage model) and the Triton tank, you can't adjust the voltage or try a different style of tank without an adapter. Also, the tank comes standard with a 2.5 ohm coii. Your best immediate option is to try to lower the nicotine level. You can do this by getting some vegetable glycerin (VG) from walmart (by the pharmacy...next to the rubbing alcohol) and using it to dilute your liquid. If this makes the liquid to thick add a tiny bit of distilled water. VG also vapes a bit milder than PG so it should help. I believe Halo juices have a pretty high PG content.

For the future, you may consider finding some liquids with lower nic and higher VG content.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for all the feedback. What about trying new flavors, is that just as easy as washing out the tank and putting a new flavor in? Sorry for any maybe dumb questions.

Hi KSimms and welcome!

If the flavor is compatible, like another tobacco, you don't even have to wash out the tank. But if it isn't, yes, rinse and dry and refill.

Now, on the subject of Halo tobacco flavors... They are in the love 'em or hate 'em category. I'm in the latter. As much as I like other Halo eliquids (mostly menthols), I could never vape their tobaccos. Which is a shame, really, because Halo eliquids are really clean, pure and of highest quality. But they use that tobacco base that reminds me of tar--or Pinesol. :facepalm: That said, there are plenty of people who love them. YMMV

I suggest you sample other eliquids--read some reviews and order small sample, 3 or 5 ml bottles tops. There are so many great juice vendors out there--Halo may just not be your cup of tea.

Good luck and happy vaping.

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Does the Halo Triton have a voltage adjustment?

the standard models that come in the starter kit don't, but they do sell a variable voltage model. I alternate between the 2 all day long, depending on what flavor I've got going. Most Halo liquids though are good with the regular tritons. I was a menthol smoker and when I'm vaping Mystic or Cool Ice, the regular batteries are perfect.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
TH is from a variety of different things. If you click on my name, then click on my blog, I have an entire post devoted to what contributes to throat hit, or harsh throat hit. Dehydrated throat will contribute to harshness of your vape. Nicotine is the #1 contributor to throat hit. Once you hit 18mg, its going to kick your throat like a mad cat. 24mg kicks your throat like a frightened mule. I vape 18mg, and your throat gets kicked really hard for your first and 2nd morning vape, after that, it's fine. When a smoker friend tries one of my 18mg to 24mg juices, they often cough and strain their throats. Your throat has to get used to it. Other variables include PG/VG level. VG = heaviness in the lungs. I can't vape 100% VG juices because they make my lungs hurt, and they make my lungs feel heavy & irritated. I can't vape full PG because PG makes my throat and my esophagus hurt. High PG stings. So I do 25%VG & 75%PG.

Also, Alcohol Content of the juice. If your juice hasn't steeped with the cap off for at least a week, it probably has a high alcohol content. Voltage also contributes to the TH, but through wick burn & nicotine vaporization. If your vaping at a voltage too high your vaporizing a lot of nicotine in one hit, or you could potentially be burning your wick, which adds carbon to the vapor and will surely punch your throat.

If your talking about the flavor, you can try adding a bit of purified bottled water to your juice. Fill up a 5ml sample bottle with the juice and add 3-5 drops of purified water at a time until the flavor is muted to your liking. Adding water will also reduce TH and vapor production.

Check out my blog if all else fails.

Last edited:

HighEnergyProton

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Germany
TH is from a variety of different things. If you click on my name, then click on my blog, I have an entire post devoted to what contributes to throat hit, or harsh throat hit. Dehydrated throat will contribute to harshness of your vape. Nicotine is the #1 contributor to throat hit. Once you hit 18mg, its going to kick your throat like a mad cat. 24mg kicks your throat like a frightened mule. I vape 18mg, and your throat gets kicked really hard for your first and 2nd morning vape, after that, it's fine. When a smoker friend tries one of my 18mg to 24mg juices, they often cough and strain their throats. Your throat has to get used to it. Other variables include PG/VG level. VG = heaviness in the lungs. I can't vape 100% VG juices because they make my lungs hurt, and they make my lungs feel heavy & irritated. I can't vape full PG because PG makes my throat and my esophagus hurt. High PG stings. So I do 25%VG & 75%PG.

Check out my blog if all else fails.

Your profile pic is spectacular :D

I also had a few coughing fits when I got my first kit, but quickly learnt about nic and TH. I'm on between 18 and 11 and find it perfect, but the sweeter the flavour I find has a bigger throat hit too.

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I get harsh th when the voltage is too low. usually this happens to high ohms atomizers. when i crank the voltage up, i get smoother vapor. seems like mismatch of voltage/resistance is causing more dense nic juice to evaporate and create the harsh th. when i vape at higher voltage, increased amount of vapor creates "strong" throat hit. The strong th is not painful. it hits hard but in a smooth way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread