KangerTech EVOD and Protank3 newbie review

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokit_armor

Dec 17, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
Hi!
I'm fairly new to the vaping community and just wanted to throw in my experiences with these two products. I started vaping about two months ago, I wanted to quit analogs but just enjoy smoking too darned much. I was hoping that vaping would be a good compromise. I picked up an EVOD starter kit to get going, and am now hooked. Hadn't even heard of vaping until I moved here to the Phoenix area; can't drive down the street without seeing at least one person with a vape. Anyway.

Kanger EVOD:

This is definitely a great little starter clearo. The starter kit came with two batts, two clearos, 5 coils, and charger. Well packaged and I think the design is spectacular, it's simple and perhaps even elegant (looks like a large pen that a CEO might have on his desk)

The pros:
Simple to use. Fill, puff. Looks great. Having the two clearos and two batts made things simple. Keep one batt charged, and keep two diff flavors in the clearo. Swap batts and clearos when desired.

The cons:
Drip tip- the clear tip looks great; until it fills with condensation and just looks... gross. Like seeing someone backwash into your drink, even though you know it's not spit it just doesn't seem right. Would have preferred black or stainless.
Filling- Easy to fill yes, but messy. Would always seem to leak a drop or two out of the drip tip when you flip it upside down to fill, and the coil had too much juice on it that got on your fingers or wherever you placed it.
Performance- Great beginner performance, don't get me wrong. I would put it akin to a 'few cigarettes a day' kind of smoker. It just couldn't handle my style of puffing. I chain vape- a lot.
Battery- Could definitely tell when the batt was getting low, coil would take FOREVER to warm up before the batt died. It's output was on a slow slope instead of full power before cutoff.

Overall:
Great beginner vape. My experience was more toward the negative side simply because I was pushing the product beyond it's handling capabilities.

ProTank 3:

I picked this up to replace the EVOD units, as I needed something that could handle my constant puffing. So far extremely pleased with it. I have this on a Smok eGo Winder 1300 mAh batt.

Pros:
Holds enough juice for me. A tank will last me most of the day. Great vapor production- not HUGE but definitely the analog substitute of vapor I was looking for. Tasty hits, some reviews say the taste is 'muted' but since I havent tried any other tanks, I can't really compare it to anything. Better than the EVOD, I can't complain about it. Easy to fill- does not have the two filling issues I referenced with my EVOD.

Cons:
Well, none yet honestly. It does suck down juice faster than the EVOD, but I wouldn't say it's a 'con', more vapor=more juice.

Overall:
Once I got the included collar seated correctly, and tuned my voltage to my juice, this has been a great unit. I vape minty flavors that tend to be a bit on the sweet side, and I have had no problems with caramelization in this unit. Strong puffs, no gurgling (after tuning it a bit).

Comparison:
The EVOD coils overheated my juice (due to chain-vaping) resulting in fast caramelization and icky coils, sometimes getting a burnt taste. I would go through less than a tank before this occurred- It may also be a result of the small amount of juice it held (less juice heats up quicker) The month or so I have had this unit, I used all 5 included coils, and cleaned them twice (so that's 10 coil changes in that short of a period). So far with the 10ml I have pushed through the ProTank(BTW I got this less than 24 hours ago so that's extreme chain vaping haha), I have only had a slight discoloration of juice (like, barely, it could even just be in my head) with no change in flavor or vapor production. I will keep the EVODs on hand for that 'oh crud' moment, or if i'm going to be on the go somewhere I don't want to bring my ProTank and I know I wont be vaping a bunch.

In short,
EVOD= Great starter clearo
PT3= Great intermediate tank

Is there better out there? Of course.
These products do what they were designed to, and function quite well (if used properly)
I give Kanger 4 stars on the EVOD and 5 on the ProTank 3.

We'll see how well the PT3 stands up over time. In the meanwhile, I picked up some wick and wire, time to recoil those EVOD coils... Rather mess those up first try than the dual coils for the PT3.

Happy vaping everyone!

nostinkies

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Kayfun Nirvana!
Good review. I bought an evod once. Tried it for 5 minutes and tossed it in the trash. I couldnt get past that cheap plastic drip tip either. I hated the taste of plastic and seeing the condensation inside it, didnt make me want to take another toke off it either. Nice first post here too btw. Welcome to the nut house! Congrats on quitting smoking, now dont miss out on the best part of vaping.... They are the Kayfuns, russians and other rebuildables. You havent tasted flavor until you toot on a Kayfun! I got schooled today and it ROCKS!

bizzal

Nov 22, 2013
Nor Cal
Nice review rokit_armour!
I too agree with the messiness of filling/refilling the EVOD... i always seem to get a drop into the stem or something no matter how careful (read SLOW) i dispense the juice... i think its a lil difficult to fill due to the middle stem being too short? regardless... it was a backup clearo to my pro tank 2 mini which is still my favorite tank. Strange how different flavors are produced even though they use the same atomizer head. Any explanations anyone? (i compared the same juice with a new atomizer head in each tank. Same power setting on my iTaste VV 3.0) and the vapor production AND flavor was still better, coming from the Pro Tank 2 Mini...

My newest tank is the PT3, but for some reason I still prefer the mini over the PT3...

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I agree with most of the Evod review. On the Evod batteries, the 2.5 ohm coils were...meh. I had enough experience that I ordered 1.8 ohm coils when I ordered my kit and swaped in the lower resistence coils after the first tank or two. That really improved the performance. Still prefer my T2 top coils (the most underrated tanks IMO) but the Evods with the 1.8 head is now my out and about device.

rokit_armor

Dec 17, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
I agree with most of the Evod review. On the Evod batteries, the 2.5 ohm coils were...meh. I had enough experience that I ordered 1.8 ohm coils when I ordered my kit and swaped in the lower resistence coils after the first tank or two. That really improved the performance. Still prefer my T2 top coils (the most underrated tanks IMO) but the Evods with the 1.8 head is now my out and about device.

Hey Grim! Nice to see someone from close to home here. Just moved to AZ from Manhattan.
I figure I will recoil my EVOD heads to a lower ohm, i figured the extra resistance may have played a part in it, but I heard many people saying they liked the high ohm heads on them....

rokit_armor

Dec 17, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
Just rebuilt one EVOD coil,
i left my VOM at work so I can't check the ohms, but I did 4 wraps of 32 Kanthal. First hit tasted really weird, not sure if it was the wick or kanthal 'burning in' for the first time or what, but its better now. I also removed the two 1mm top wicks, they seemed to just burn (as others have mentioned in their PT1 and PT2 rebuilds)
Pulled the dud PT3 coil apart, looks like the top coil was just out of whack and was shorting internally. I had already pulled the plug and couldn't get it back in correctly.
Looks easy to rebuild, it's basically two 4ohm coils on 2mm wick stacked on top of each other with a 3rd wick inbetween to keep the coils from shorting on each other. I'll update when I'm done recoiling it and let you know how it works.

rokit_armor

Dec 17, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
Can the PT 3 coils be rebuilt? I thought they were not rebuildable because they were dual coils.

Just rebuilt one,works like a dream. I'll do a vid next time and post it in the tanks section. I think this one is around 0.8 ohms, i did 6 wraps of 32 on each coil (calculates to 1.7 each, so in parallel cuircit thats 0.85 ohms) The EVOD batt wouldn't handle that low of a load but the Winder will.

I feel myself being sucked into the world of vaping... Hopefully I don't spend more on this than I would analogs, hahaha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread