Status
Not open for further replies.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I just received my Taifun GT last night. I had ordered it on 8/24; so the delivery time was just short of a month. I was on my way out to a local vape meet, so I didn't have time to do anything other than open it up and look it over, until this morning.
First impressions:
It comes in a nice box. Which isn't all that important. But it's a nice touch.
It's beautifully machined. flawless workmanship.
The supplied drip tip is kinda cool. I actually like it better than the stock KfL tips, which I have replaced. I plan to use the Taifun tip as is.
It's big. Compared to the KfL, it's taller and heavier. I don't have a kayfun 3.1 to compare it to, size wise.
IMG_0361.jpg

I've been using Kayfun Lites ever since they were introduced, so I figured that it would be easy to use whatever experience I'd gained from setting up KfLs, and apply it to the first set up of the Taifun. I decided on a 11 wrap microcoil, with 28g kanthal, and a "cotton ball" wick.
The Taifun has an interesting, and cool, approach to the chamber. Instead of unscrewing the chamber, it pops down, retracting partially into the base, to allow better access to the positive and negative screws . When you're done mounting the coil, you simply pull on it, and it pops back up. It can be turned, to point in whatever direction your mounted coil does.
I had seen, from a Phil Busardo video, that if the wicks don't completely fill the slots in the side of the chamber, the Taifun would leak. PB's solution to this was to place a separate piece of wick on top of his coil, to take up the space; kind of like the extra piece of wick that comes on Protanks. The recommended wick, according to the on line instructions, is 3 pieces of 2mm silica. I had seen one video, I forget by who, who used a single piece of 3mm ekowool. I used a single piece of cotton, and made sure I kept it good and fluffy at the side slots. The wick ends don't have to drop down to anywhere, like the KfL. They just get clipped off just beyond the chamber.
I like the filling procedure much better than the Kayfun. There's no fill screw involved. Just turn the tank upside down, pour the juice in, screw the base/coil assembly on, and turn it right side up. The other nice thing about the Taifun is that it can be taken back apart, if need be, without having to pull out the juice with a syringe.
The vape quality between the Taifun and the KfL is about the same, to me, anyway. The draw is also about the same, although there are separate "straws" available for the Taifun to alter the draw. The stock draw is fine, for me.
Disadvantages to the Taifun:
The stock tank is Plexiglass. There is a stainless tank available, but it's at extra cost; unlike the KfL, which coles with both.
It's more expensive than the KfL. 129 euros, vs about 75 euros for the KfL.
It's much less available than the KfL.
Personal verdict:
Vape quality is a toss up.
I prefer the set up of the Taifun over the KfL.
I like the fact that it can be disassembled and reassembled without having to remove the juice.
So far, with my fluffy cotton wick, I haven't seen the slightest drop of juice from either the vent hole or the base.
The center pin is adjustable on the Taifun. On the KfL it's not.
Appearance wise, I'd have to give the nod to the Taifun. But it's just a matter of opinion.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
One of the reasons I still have my taifun gt but not my kfl is versatility. I like that it's easy to use mesh or silica plus mesh, it's easy to use it as a tank with filler like a spheroid too.

The other big thing was the filling, it's just much simpler.

Yes, I forgot to mention that, in my ham fisted attempt at a review. I didn't know, until I was reading the on line instructions, that it could be used as a "Spheroid type", using Sera material, or also can be used with mesh. Nice, versatile device.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
Yes, I forgot to mention that, in my ham fisted attempt at a review. I didn't know, until I was reading the on line instructions, that it could be used as a "Spheroid type", using Sera material, or also can be used with mesh. Nice, versatile device.

I've had mine for 4 or 5 months and I just used it with filler the other day for the first time. I don't see the need but it's a pretty fool proof way to get started for people new to this type of atty.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I've had mine for 4 or 5 months and I just used it with filler the other day for the first time. I don't see the need but it's a pretty fool proof way to get started for people new to this type of atty.

I'm pretty pleased with the micro/cotton set up. Basically the same as my Kayfun builds, except the wicks are shorter, of course. It's been vaping perfectly all day, so far. I may try a mesh build with it one of these days.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
im waiting for one so I can set it up with mesh. same with the squape (coming monday yay) A couplke people noted with mesh its close to a geni flavorwise with the versatility of a kayfun. and Ive pretty much giveen up on mesh in my KFL.

the regular KF is around 9-10mm bigger then the light adding the fill valve, airflow and collector plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread