Kayfun V4 - Juice/wick getting super dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netsyphen

Dec 22, 2010
Yongsan, Korea
So this is my first RTA and I've tried multiple builds, and while they all vape pretty well, the juice and wick gets super dark like the picture below after less than a day. You can see how clear the juice is in the tank to the left.

Is this normal, am I doing something wrong?

2f51a3b6093ecc1e0e82385f8cb2d072.jpg

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Do you have any drippers that you've used the same juice in without the juice turning dark so quickly?

Some juices just gunk coils and turn dark really quickly, usually sweeter desert types but as the previous poster mentioned juices with a lot of sweetener will do it too regardless of flavor and color. I've been a vaper of lightly sweetened fruit juices for a long time now and usually get weeks out of a wick before it darkens/gunks badly, but recently I've been getting into custards and those gunk up and darken very quickly compared to my other go-to juices.

Now, if you've used this same juice in a dripper without the juice darkening so quickly that's a sign that you are either running too much power for the amount of airflow you have, or the wick is drying out while you vape.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
That shouldn't be too much, it's probably just the juice. I run 18-20 watts in my KFLs which have even less airflow than the KF4 so you should be good! I'm not sure exactly what happens but when getting into higher power levels with restricted airflow the juice tends to caramelize a lot faster. I've tried .5 ohm builds in KFLs and the juice darkens very quickly, but without dry hits. Using the same exact coil in a dripper with much more airflow the problem goes away.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
That shouldn't be too much, it's probably just the juice. I run 18-20 watts in my KFLs which have even less airflow than the KF4 so you should be good! I'm not sure exactly what happens but when getting into higher power levels with restricted airflow the juice tends to caramelize a lot faster. I've tried .5 ohm builds in KFLs and the juice darkens very quickly, but without dry hits. Using the same exact coil in a dripper with much more airflow the problem goes away.

Less airflow+more power = hotter coil. juice cooks faster thus gunking up faster.

Remember that power can be juice dependent as well. Some may evaporate faster or slower, some leave more gunk than others,some just taste different at different power levels. The Sammy Puffs from SMAX taste very mute at my usual 10-13w range, but when cranked up to 17-21w on a dual 0.8 ohm coil (if your wicking can efficiently keep up) it becomes chocolate heaven with a creamy marshmellow beach and light graham cracker breeze. (this is on my geni; I still have to try it on my kayfun[normally i run this at 1.0-1.5 ohm])

If your wick is getting darker than it should be near the coil, it could mean you )too muck wick at the coil so the juice is getting slightly clogged up when trying to get to it. when it gets backed up at the coil, the heat coming off of the coil will caramelize the liquid near it since it isn't moving to the coil fast enough before getting cooked. It might not effect anything, but it could depending on how tight and such. Remember that the cotton expands when it absorbs juice.

Last edited:

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
You should be able to slide it smoothly back and forth through the coil without the coil really moving at all. At least that's how I do it, but I guess everyone has their own preference. But if it is snug when it is dry, it will expand when absorbing and may cause the caramelization around the coil and backing it up more

It can be fairly wide on the sides, but you want to at least be able to slide a few mm back and forth through the coil at the part of the wick that will be in and around the coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread