kr808d-1 / 510 cartomizer comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Here's my delima. I'm a dyed in the wool 901 user who got curious about the obsession some people have with the 510 models so I built a 510 mod and got some 510 HV attys. By the way, I'm only vaping at 6V these days.
Since I have a 510 unit now I thought that cartos might be good for when I'm driving since they hold more juice so I got a box of 510 cartos. I've only used these cartos at 3.7 volts 'cause I'm not sure how well they hold up to 6V. I am not impressed with the flavor conveyance of the 510 carto and am wondering if the kr808d-1 cartos might be better for flavor and how well do these cartos handle 6 volts.
My question is, does anyone out there have any experience in comparing the 510 cartos to the kr808d-1 cartos at high voltage?

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
I'm also a 901 user. Recently tried cartos and love them. I use KR808 at 6V.
VERY hot vapor but flavorful. Be careful to keep them moist. Love this :vapor:

Also, you need an adapter to use 808 on 901 battery. Something about airflow. They'll screw on to the 901 connector and fire, but It's like trying to drink a Wendy's frosty through a straw. You won't get anything.

try it, you might like it. I've been using and refilling the same carto today is my 5th day and I've not had any burnt filling.

I actually put about 1/3 of my atty stash on the classifieds to trade for cartos. I'm that happy with them.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I'm also a 901 user. Recently tried cartos and love them. I use KR808 at 6V.
VERY hot vapor but flavorful. Be careful to keep them moist. Love this :vapor:

Also, you need an adapter to use 808 on 901 battery. Something about airflow. They'll screw on to the 901 connector and fire, but It's like trying to drink a Wendy's frosty through a straw. You won't get anything.

try it, you might like it. I've been using and refilling the same carto today is my 5th day and I've not had any burnt filling.

I actually put about 1/3 of my atty stash on the classifieds to trade for cartos. I'm that happy with them.
Just curious here but are you pulling out the filler and unraveling it to see if there is any burnt filler in the center?

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
The subjective nature of flavors never ceases to amaze me. I picked up cartos for the convenience, but keep using them because of they way they deliver flavor! One of my favorites on the 401 was flue cured tobacco. On the 510 it had no flavor at all. In the cartos, however, the flavor is back. I did try some cartos on 5 volts and they were too hot for my taste.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
Just curious here but are you pulling out the filler and unraveling it to see if there is any burnt filler in the center?

Well, tonight I asked Hubby to pull the stuffing out for me to wash and put it back in. He accidentially pulled out the "sock" too. the carto's toast now (it doesn't like it when the sock comes out :() But I examined the sock and stuffing both like you asked. They were very brown with the juice I've been using (mostly 555 with a bit of "Hilton") but there were no burned places and I never tasted any burnt taste.

I've been VERY careful to keep it moist. I pull off the top (and clear gasket thing) about once an hour and add 5-8 drops.

YMMV.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
The subjective nature of flavors never ceases to amaze me. I picked up cartos for the convenience, but keep using them because of they way they deliver flavor! One of my favorites on the 401 was flue cured tobacco. On the 510 it had no flavor at all. In the cartos, however, the flavor is back. I did try some cartos on 5 volts and they were too hot for my taste.

We did fruit and sweet back when we started, to have something very different from analogs, so we wouldn't want them. (Worked for us) but lately we've been doing tobacco. The sweet stuff just didn't cut it for me.

I took a few draws off hubby's vanilla carto while he was working on mine. Yummy!

I'm gonna re-try the sweet ones when I get in my blanks. I love the smell when he uses the vanilla but didn't like it on the 901 attys.

Maybe I can use that bottle of strawberry and oh! The butterscotch:D
I'm looking forward to it.

Stalking the mailman again. I thought I'd give that up:ohmy:

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
I've been doing KR808D cartomizers at 6v for a good while now. Works great. Haven't seen or tried a 510 cartomizer. The KR808Ds measure about 3.0 ohms (as do 901s). I've come across a couple at 2.8 ohms and a few at 3.1-3.2 ohms but mostly right at 3.0 ohms. I've tried a variety of methods of filling them but so far just slowly dripping juice into the mouth end down the side of the barrel until it looks good and saturated has worked best. Throw away the little mouth piece cap and silicon plug/gasket/o ring that's under it that you're going to remove to fill them and use a drip tip instead. lol, you probably already have those for the 901. Get the empties and fill them yourself.

Personal opinion/preference: Different juices do better than others in a cartomizer. For example I have some tasty vapor Kretek (clove) that's great in a 901 and just doesn't work in a KR808D. why? I have no idea. DK-TAB (VG) works great in both. Cafe mocha seems to do better in the KR808D. I have never burnt out a cartomizer. I've messed up the filler with other filling methods, had them go stale tasting after a good bit of use -- may have run them too dry and cooked juice or filler. Haven't had that problem for a while now. Main thing is to use them with a drip tip. Eliminates a lot of problems they might have or that you can cause. And keep them moist.

Last edited:

Pokeygizmo

Perfectly Imperfect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
South Carolina
Well, tonight I asked Hubby to pull the stuffing out for me to wash and put it back in. He accidentially pulled out the "sock" too. the carto's toast now (it doesn't like it when the sock comes out :() But.

Hey Princess!

With Kr8 cartos , you don't have to pull the stuffing out to clean -- leave them intact, run hot water through them then blow them out to help dry them quicker. Periodically, you can boil them for a thorough cleaning and to help remove old flavors and gunk off the atty wire. Lots of links and videos on the ECF, just hit the search... Cleaning cartos

I just got started with the 510 cartos and will be cleaning them the same way -- can't see any differences in the "innards" between the two so it should be OK. Have already done the rinse and blow with success with one 510. Hope this helps you save your cartos!

P.S. -- In two months of using Kr8 cartos, I have only had to toss around 5 -- I dissected all of those and no burns on the filler or sock.:)

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
Good to know.

We decided after about 2 days that filling with the condom wasn't for us. What a mess! I drip onto it now. I tried putting a 901 whistle tip onit but it cut WAY down on the warmth so I just use the original tip.

I cleaned my 901 attys with vodka, so that's what I'll probably try for rinsing the carts.
I did order blanks. I can't seem to find anyone selling them filled with 36mg.

Thanks ~ P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread