Status
Not open for further replies.

J-ShaZzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2010
South NJ
www.facebook.com
This is my review of 3 brands of PVs. The l88b (Blu/Volcano) vs 510 vs 910. I have had at least one week experience with each model and have been vaping for close to a month now. So this is a noob review to other noobs, but may be helpful to veterans who haven't purchased/used any the models being reviewed. I shall start in the order that I used each one.

• The l88b is a Blu cig and was my first purchase. I paid $55 for a started kit and got free shipping. Originally $60, but I used a promo code. It came with 2 batteries, 2 atomizers, a PCC, a usb/wall charger (charges the pcc or one battery), and 25 carts of 5 different flavors. Instructions, business cards, and everything packaged in a nice box as well. Shipping took under a week.

L88b Breakdown:
Battery: Lasts me 30 min to a hr. Constantly having one on charge is a headache. It's automatic and fires every time.
Atomizer: Can't complain, it's good. Can't drip, but you can dip with it.
Carts: Just bad design, I took apart a cart after not getting any vape and it was still half filled with juice. Plus there is tinfoil which can get in the way of the atomizer. Just another headache.
PCC: It's great. Size of a cigarette pack and is multifunctional. Can charge one battery, holds a complete Blu, and can hold 5 carts or 4 carts and an atty.
E Liquid: Vanilla, Menthol, Cherry, Java, and Tobacco. At first I wasn't a fan of any, but then fell in love with all of them, but Java. Keep in mind that this was my 1st week vaping. Cherry remains my favorite.
Vape Production: Is nice when you have a fresh battery and a new cart. After 5 good pulls it really starts going downhill.
The Good/Bad/Ugly: It's small size is nice (smallest of the three). The battery fires everytime and I don't mind an automatic at all. It's pretty discrete and the PCC makes it travel ready. The battery life is just awful and this was the factor that led me to purchase something else. The carts need a complete redesign or Blu needs to redo the model all over again. For what you get in the kit, it's not a terrible start. BUT it's something I wouldn't recommend on purchasing, but if you do then I suggest refilling the carts yourself or purchasing them from Volcano. Also, be prepared to buy extra batteries.

• Now on to the 510. This a Full 510 Manual Starter Kit purchased from Domesticvapor and costs $24.99. The kit came with 2 batteries, 2 atomizers, 5 blank carts, 2 blank tips, a wall charger, and business cards. That's it, nothing else came inside the package (no instructions or box). Shipping took 3 days. (This kit is black with a blue led).
510 Breakdown:
Battery: Lasts me 2 to 4 hours. It's manual and took some time getting use to. Have to press button (1-2 seconds) before inhaling. This is the longest battery life of the three. Also, the cutoff time is the longest as well.
Atomizer: Can't complain, but one my atties has died already. I do plan on trying reviving techniques. Perfect for dripping (all I do now).
Vape Production: Nice, thick, and long (<---that's what she said). Again, best of the three. I'm able to really get good TH all the time and can get the kind of vape I want, depending on how I control the battery button.
The Good/Bad/Ugly: This is my home use PV when I just sit and vape for 30 minutes or longer. It's bigger then the Blu, but after a day of use it didn't bother me one bit. It's heavier too, but again with use this doesn't bother me. Nothing really bad to say about the 510. Only problems I have had is one atty dying and I thought a battery died b/c it wasn't charging. The button had stuck and just had to be released. The charger can be kind of tricky when getting a battery connected correctly.

Note: I didn't review PCC, Carts, or e-liquid. It's b/c this kit did not come with any of these. I also have been dripping exclusively with the 510 and 901, so I can't review how the carts are.

• It ends with the 901. This is a Full 901 Manual Starter Kit purchased from Domesticvapor and costs $24.99. The kit came with 2 batteries, 2 atomizers, 5 blank carts, 2 blank tips, a wall charger, and business cards. That's it, nothing else came inside the package (no instructions or box). Shipping took 3 days. (This was my 2nd kit from Domestic vapor, exactly the same as the 510, but silver with a red led).
910 Breakdown:
Battery: Lasts about 1 to 2 hours. The cutoff is the most annoying of the three. I can bypass the cutoff with the other two, but the 901 is kind of short. It charges the quickest so it does make up for the short battery life. (I am still amazed at how face these batteries charge).
Atomizer: My favorite of the three. Can really taste flavors and is perfect for dripping.
Vape Production: It's better then the Blu, but a little under the 510. If the cutoff wasn't shorter then the 510, it could be the same. It is rich and flavorful.
The Good/Bad/Ugly: This is my at work PV. Get's the job done and looks really sharp with a matching drip tip. The battery life can get annoying, but having a backup battery and a 510 on hand is enough for now. It charges the easiest b/c the connector is pretty much on the outside of charger.

Note: I didn't review PCC, Carts, or e-liquid. It's b/c this kit did not come with any of these. I also have been dripping exclusively with the 510 and 901, so I can't review how the carts are.

Thank you for taking the time for reading this lengthy post. In my opinion, the 510 wins, but the 901 comes in a close second. Each PV that I have discussed has there own good features and flaws. It's up to you to decide which one is the best for you. Don't be afraid to spend a little money on something that you use every day. I'm still on the hunt for a better PV and will be purchasing a mod soon.

Here's a picture of all my PVs:

38185_1452523787658_1070183583_1277116_8233842_n.jpg

Blue is on the top, followed by the 510s, and the bottom two are 901s. I also have drip tips attached to a 510 and 901 for reference. The bottom 901 is pure class with the drip tip.

My next reviews will be that of the vendors and e-liquid that I have tried so far.

Last edited:

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Ok, this is what I found out:

The Volcano is an L88b Model. It uses an updated version of the common L88b atomizer that includes a flat connection plate and a longer bridge to better reach and absorb juice from cartridges. The atomizer runs at 3.0ohm
The batteries are rated at 90mAH

The Magma is based on a 510 model. It uses a custom made Modified SLB Atomizer that runs at 2.0-2.3 ohms.
The batteries are rated at 180mAH

Both batteries operate at the standard 3.7v of E-Cigs.

The thing that makes the Magma atomizer so attractive is it's ohm rating. It still provides a strong throat hit with a good amount of vapor without burning off the flavor of the juice like the more standard 510 atomizers which run at 3.0 or high ohms and it does not run nearly as hot during use due to it's modified design.

This is a quote from Pyroclastic Ash, site admin at volcanoecigs.com forums.

IDK what a SLB atty is.

J-ShaZzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2010
South NJ
www.facebook.com
SLB is a company: Shenzhen Sailebao Technology Co., Ltd. At least that's what I found when researching for SLB atomizer. Seems like volcano is using a beefed up atomizer, but this atty won't be compatible 510 carts if it's the flat bottom as quoted. So your still stuck buying their carts.

Also from the quote, it runs cooler so more flavor. I wonder if the vapor production and TH are less then a regular 510.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread