Lautenberg Bandwagon - American Lung Association and Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Statement of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, American Heart Association, American Lung Association and the Campaign for tobacco-Free Kids

WASHINGTON, March 24 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, the American Heart Association, the American Lung Association and the Campaign for tobacco-Free Kids applaud Senator Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey's call for the Food and Drug Administration to exert its authority and immediately remove e-cigarettes from the market.

FDA officials have been quoted numerous times in many publications during the past few weeks saying that e-cigarettes are "new drugs," which require prior approval from the FDA before they are allowed to be sold. Without this approval, e-cigarettes are illegal to market or sell. Despite these statements, no action has been taken to remove e-cigarettes from the market.

Currently, e-cigarettes are being sold in 62 kiosks at malls across the United States, with plans to expand to another 55. E-cigarettes are also being marketed towards young people, who can purchase them in fruit flavors and online, without having to verify their ages.

Makers and retailers of these products have been making unproven health claims about their products, claiming that they are safer than normal cigarettes and asserting that they can help people to quit smoking. Absent scientific evidence, these claims are in blatant violation of FDA rules.

In fact, no studies have been done on e-cigarettes to date regarding their health effects or their effectiveness as cessation aids. Like the "light" and "low tar" cigarettes that tobacco companies claimed were healthier for consumers, there is no evidence to back up the claims made by e-cigarette makers. In September of 2008, the World Health Organization stated that they have "no evidence to confirm the product's safety or efficacy."

Our organizations thank Senator Lautenberg for his leadership in urging the FDA to remove these products from the market and echo his call that the FDA move quickly to remove these products from the marketplace.

While the FDA currently does not have jurisdiction over tobacco products, it does have jurisdiction over other products that contain nicotine including e-cigarettes, which have been marketed as delivering nicotine without tobacco.

SOURCE American Lung Association

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
Here Come the Heavy Hitters---hope everyone is stocking up---Sun

Damn these wedding expenses!

"Baby, I know you are excited about the wedding, but we're going to have to postpone! Your man needs some juice!"

I think the end is very near, for the time being. When you get a coalition like the one that is assembling against this community, there's very little we can do, and, from a factual standpoint, we're mostly without a leg to stand on.

rsmith76

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
Bradford, Ohio
To bad the fda didn't get involved in the peanut butter cracker scam until a few lives were lost. How about the other salmonella outbreaks? Anyone remember mad cow disease? Tainted milk? With all the issues in the world and the economy, I would like to think they would have other avenues to pursue! They should take a better look at Chantix, oh I forgot, they did. They call that a safe drug? The fda must all be on drugs! Spineless, and brainless idiots! I, for one, am sick and tired of the waythis country operates. We are long overdue for another tea party, this time in Washington! I said it before and I'll say it again, the marketing approach for e cigs has to be changed, as does the name. To many dumbasses in influential perches look at this as another cigarette. They don't bother to get any facts. The only fact they need is this: "We stopped it before, we will stop it again". It's high time they earned their money and quit robbing the social security admin. blind. I'm off my soapbox for the time being!

rsmith76

Last edited:

dEFinitionofEPIC

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
NJ
To bad the fda didn't get involved in the peanut butter cracker scam until a few lives were lost. How about the other salmonella outbreaks? Anyone remember mad cow disease? Tainted milk? With all the issues in the world and the economy, I would like to think they would have other avenues to pursue! They should take a better look at Chantix, oh I forgot, they did. They call that a safe drug? The fda must all be on drugs! Spineless, and brainless idiots! I, for one, am sick and tired of the waythis country operates. We are long overdue for another tea party, this time in Washington! I said it before and I'll say it again, the marketing approach for e cigs has to be changed, as does the name. To many dumbasses in influential perches look at this as another cigarette. They don't bother to get any facts. The only fact they need is this: "We stopped it before, we will stop it again". It's high time they earned their money and quit robbing the social security admin. blind. I'm off my soapbox for the time being!

rsmith76

Amen. Amen. Amen. Couldn't have said it better myself. At least you have a concept of how far gone this country is from what it was supposed to be. There is no way we can do anything about it now though. There are far too many sheep out there who are easily manipulated and controlled and don't bother to think for themselves. Every generation that goes by the government gets larger and larger. Now we're at their mercy. That's what happens when citizens let their government go unchecked for too long. Now we're paying the price. Just you wait and see. With the government "bailing" out all these massive conglomerates it's going to start seeming like the government owns and controls everything.... does that ring a bell with any particular political ideology? Hmmm?

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
sell e-cigs with 0 nic carts....problem solved.

also...out of curiosity...has anyone become deathly ill or have died from vaping?

The terrible thing about vaping is that everyone seems to be complaining of feeling healthier!.....that's really scary and definitely should be banned.....:shock:

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Here Come the Heavy Hitters---hope everyone is stocking up---Sun

vaper.jpg

dEFinitionofEPIC

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
NJ
I've ordered plenty of things that don't mesh well with current regs, never had a problem. If that doesn't work, smuggle and conceal. Bottles of ejuice would be easy to stuff into a spongebob doll from China.

Haha... yeah. But if it gets to that point the prices are going to skyrocket because of all the risks involved.... and thats no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread