LED Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

u_couple

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Can someone help me with an LED problem?
Out of the last 5 mods I have built (simple 14500 box mods with an LED) 3 of them have lit the LED as soon as the battery has been inserted, now when I say lit, I mean very faintly!
I have checked, and double checked the wiring, and all is good.
I have narrowed this down to only happening with "colour changing" LED's , it never happens with single colour LED's. My problem is that the friends I make these for prefer the colour changing LED's (something to do with timing how long a drag they are taking)
Also, while doing a continuity test on my wiring I noticed that even my meter would light the colour changing LED's, but not the single colour ones!
I am quite "electrically challenged" and really can't figure this one out.
On all these mods I am using a 470k resistor (cause I have loads of them), so my question is, am I doing something wrong, or do I have a duff bunch of LED's ?
Any help greatly appreciated guys:(

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
Try cleaning the solder joints on the switch with a toothbrush soaked in isopropyl alcohol. Flux (either used separately or already included in the solder itself) can be the tiniest bit conductive, leading sensitive devices to "power on" mysteriously.

If this doesn't work, could you post a close up pic of the innards of one of the boxmods? You might have overlooked something; I do that all the time, lol!

Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
The only way an LED can illuminate at all is if it's getting power somehow. You probably have a full time draw on the battery somewhere. It's possible the color changers have a lower forward voltage so they illuminate slightly where the non-changers don't. A wiring digaram would be helpful. Without it, it's going to be difficult to tell where you might have a problem.

u_couple

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
UK
I think you`re right with the switch guys, when I am tinning the terminals on the switch, there must be a tiny amount of fluid getting into the switch, which in turn is allowing a tiny amount of power to go to the LED, not enough to fire the atty, but just enough to give the LED a very faint glow. I just built another mod, taking great care to connect the wires to the switch, and all is good ---------- so far !!
Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I dont have schematics.. I just soldered wires to the led, pos (+) the reo's switch, neg (-) goes to the battery spring.
no resistors either, just thought to try and see what happens and it worked =)
That's it..

Sorry, I thought you were building mods, making the boards, and putting everything together from piece parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread