Status
Not open for further replies.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I tried steeping overnight with top off. Didn't seem to have any noticeable effects, other than making my closet reek.

I understand the idea, but common sense keeps nagging at me that letting liquid sit with the top off for any length of time is more destructive than helpful. Something like, if the smell is escaping, so is the flavor. I don't know if that's valid, just my particular brand of logic.

Maybe in a DIY situation, top-off steeping serves a purpose. Bottom line, I've found that if the liquid sucks straight out of the bottle, it's always going to suck. No amount of 'steeping' is going to change that.

• Agree
Reactions: Cstober

Niten13

Verified Member
Nov 18, 2014
Tigard, OR, USA
Depending on the juice and flavor I let it breathe for a couple hours, then cap and steep in a dark place. Shake about 3 -4 times a day.
I usually only leave juices to breathe longer if they have an alcohol base as it tends to be pretty volatile to vape until it evaporates.
Rip has a good video on steeping and breathing

here ya go happy "streathing" ahaha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgKfKctOMQI

Niten13

Verified Member
Nov 18, 2014
Tigard, OR, USA
I tried steeping overnight with top off. Didn't seem to have any noticeable effects, other than making my closet reek.

I understand the idea, but common sense keeps nagging at me that letting liquid sit with the top off for any length of time is more destructive than helpful. Something like, if the smell is escaping, so is the flavor. I don't know if that's valid, just my particular brand of logic.

Maybe in a DIY situation, top-off steeping serves a purpose. Bottom line, I've found that if the liquid sucks straight out of the bottle, it's always going to suck. No amount of 'steeping' is going to change that.

Some juices can REALLY change with a steep. a closed cap long steep can bring flavors together, I have a bottle of Maple Pecan from MBV that was not vapable out of the mail but after 2 weeks it turned into a great smooth and tasty liquid.

Some vendors make juice to order so basically it needs time to sit like the juices you buy at a B&M.

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
We don't "breathe" our eliquids. With pets and a teen with autism running around the house, we do not have a really good place to put things where they will not get spilled or knocked over. We usually steep by putting the eliquids in a dark place (I use a toolbox) for a while. I have also started using a Sharpie to mark the date I received shipping confirmation on any eliquid bottles that do not have a "Born On" date, just so that I have an idea how old the eliquid is, and how long it has been in the toolbox.

We have also found that we enjoy some eliquids fresh out of the mail with no steeping. If you like the taste of your eliquid as soon as you get it, don't worry about steeping. It all depends on how you perceive the taste.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
if you use your liquid for a dripper atty... it doesnt matter cuz you will be opening it over a dozen times a day and will be introducing air into the bottle each time you drip... some liquids have alcohol in the mix to help disperse the flavorants.... some people dont care for the alcohol taste and make an attempt to let it evaporate off by leaving the bottle open for a length of time... so as human nature dictates, if it works for one type of liquid it will work for all liquids... ;)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've read conflicting posts on whether or not to let your juice breathe, with top off, for awhile each day during the steeping process.
I'd like to hear what your experience is concerning steeping and whether or not you let the e-juice breathe.
Any and all feedback is appreciated!
Thanks

For Me, I don't think it really makes any Difference. But what I think Doesn't Matter. What I tell people is to Try It for themselves.

Pour 1/2 of an e-Liquid into a Bottle and Put the Cap on it. And leave the Cap Off the Original Bottle. Then put Both of them in a Cool, Dar Place and let them sit for 3 or 4 Days.

If you think the Cap Off Taste Better, Great. Cap On is Better, then there you go. But if they Taste the Same, then I would do Cap On.

Because knocking over a Bottle of e-Liquid that Doesn't have a Cap on it is a Drag. And it Allways seems to happen right when you are Walking out the Door while being Late to Something.

;)

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Usually with the high end stuff this is not necessary.

Totally untrue in my experience.
I have bought my fair share of premium juices and about a third of them need to be left uncapped for a while to get rid of the alcohol. It depends on the ingredients used (obviously), mainly the vendor's choice of flavouring brand when it comes to flavours such as vanilla, toffee, almond etc. which are commonly made (and sold) containing alcohol.

Five Pawns Gambit for me reeked strongly of alcohol and I had to leave uncapped for two weeks before the taste of alcohol subsided.

tommyboy66

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2015
Maryland
For Me, I don't think it really makes any Difference. But what I think Doesn't Matter. What I tell people is to Try It for themselves.

Pour 1/2 of an e-Liquid into a Bottle and Put the Cap on it. And leave the Cap Off the Original Bottle. Then put Both of them in a Cool, Dar Place and let them sit for 3 or 4 Days.

If you think the Cap Off Taste Better, Great. Cap On is Better, then there you go. But if they Taste the Same, then I would do Cap On.

Because knocking over a Bottle of e-Liquid that Doesn't have a Cap on it is a Drag. And it Allways seems to happen right when you are Walking out the Door while being Late to Something.

;)

Good advice. Think I'll try this when my next order comes in.
Taste is so subjective, I guess one must decide what's best for them. I've had juices taste great right out of the box and some that never seem to taste good, steeped or not.
Thanks to all for your input

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
If your juice has a perfumey or harsh smell to it, it will usually benefit from airing out. However, I completely disagree with folks who say "take the caps off". (Respectfully, of course). First, if you don't also take the dropper-tip out, this will have basically no effect. If you do, you lose flavor almost as quickly as you lose the harsher elements.

Instead, do the following:
1. Take the cap off
2. Squeeze the air out (and let it back in) a couple of times.
3. Put the cap back on
4. Shake well, and put it away with the cap still on.

Repeat this a couple times a day, for a few days or until the harsh smell is gone.
This gets rid of the harsher, more volatile elements, without losing much of the flavor.

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
I've read conflicting posts on whether or not to let your juice breathe, with top off, for awhile each day during the steeping process.
I'd like to hear what your experience is concerning steeping and whether or not you let the e-juice breathe.
Any and all feedback is appreciated!
Thanks

Actually their are about as many opinions about breathing as there are vapers here! You'll go crazy trying to figure it out. Some say only if the liquid has a chemical smell, some say 4 hours max, some 12, some 24...

My approach was to average out the two most common 4 and 12 hour breathing times, so I go 8 hours. Many vapors also use low heat to accelerate the steep time by placing in very hot (not boiling) water, some even place their bottles in an ultrasonic cleaner to shake while they heat.

I found a suggestion that has worked for me well to help both breathing and improve steep times... I open new e-liquids and place them on top of my cable modem and or router for 6-8 hours. I then recap and put away in a drawer for steeping, I try to pull them out everyday or two give them a good shake, then I open each bottle and let old air out and new air in. Then they go back into the steep dungeon!

I also experimented with breathing vs not breathing with 2 bottles of the same e-liquid last month. The one that I breathed overnight while heating over the modem was darker and had a slightly better taste than the one that was not left to breath overnight. YMMV!

At first it was tough to give many juices the proper steep time, but I now have enough juice that I tend to steep just about all my juice a minimum of 2 weeks. Unless it is pre-steeped gourmet stuff!

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Good advice. Think I'll try this when my next order comes in.
Taste is so subjective, I guess one must decide what's best for them. I've had juices taste great right out of the box and some that never seem to taste good, steeped or not.
Thanks to all for your input

I think you Nailed it with the Taste is Subjective thing.

And if there is a Difference between the Taste of Cap On vs. Cap Off, who is to say which one you would like?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread