liquid without flavour - i.e unflavoured liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Been vaping totally unflavored since sometime last summer. I keep thinking I'll add a drop of flavor but never do. I diy, and have many flavors available from when I used to make flavored juice. Will probably at some point just be tossing out the flavors. Very enjoyable unflavored and as mentioned coils last a long time.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Add another to the list. I have three BF mods in my daily rotation. The one I vape the most has never seen a trace of flavoring. The other two have unflavored in the bottle and get some flavored liquid dripped in from the top "as needed". A 30ml bottle of flavored liquid lasts me many months.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I like the taste of VG, but I've never vaped unflavored. This thread is making me want to try it though, maybe with some WTA for nuttiness. Possibly. :) Anna
In other words; you are saying you "want to try unflavored just as soon as you add some flavor to it." ;)
:laugh::lol::lol::lol::laugh:

Just teasing ya Anna:p; I think that would be a fine experiment. For what it's worth; it is the actual absence of flavor (other than its subtle natural sweetness), that makes unflavored work for me. That lack of any real discernible taste is what lets my taste buds relax and rejuvenate, for whatever flavor I choose next. I appreciate flavors more now, and I have to use less of them to keep them tasty. But my vape, may or may not, be true for you or anyone else. Don't be afraid to experiment; just keep your initial mixes small, until you find what works best for Anna!:D

The other benefit (or maybe its a deficit; I've gotten even lazier... if that's possible:facepalm:), of vaping unflavored, is that it takes a lot of the pressure off trying to build that "perfect" coil. No more do I worry about whether I got my spacing right, are my windings tight, or if I got rid of that niggling hot spot. I don't care if I have my coil in perfect orientation to the air inlet. If I am getting vapor production; I am a happy little camper... at least until I reach for my flavored tanks. Then it is back to OCD reality.:-x :D

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I've been vaping unflavored for about a week or a little longer. All VG and 50mg nicotine in MTL fashion. Thought I'd bump my 36mg/ml up to make up for the lack of flavoring.

I noticed one immediate benefit. I've had difficulties with sinus drainage. It would begin with my first several tokes in the morning. Eliminating flavoring alleviated ~80% or more of the sinus drainage down into my throat. I have some hope that going flavorless will also help in other health area...less chemicals.

Already I'm saving about $40/mo. for a nasal spray that kept the drainage at bay. I haven't used a drop since going unflavored. As well, I expect to save by simplifying my vaping routine. ...won't need all the flavorings, an RDA for each and a battery for each in rotation. ...greatly simplified rotation.

I'm not sure what long term science will find about flavors, but I do hope that dropping them may lessen the tendency to over stimulate the immune system if in fact flavors contribute to that.

All those considering unflavored I wish you well. If you find improvement, I'll like to read about them

Last edited:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I use almost exclusively DIY unflavored at 2mg. It gives me the sensation of my Camel Lights.

Exactly! It's just like smoking in that you very quickly become accustomed to it. It's not exactly tasteless, but like the old reliable brand of cigarettes, you just don't notice the taste.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
I am one to love my Unflavored. I vape 24 mg on a 1.5 - 1.8 ohm coil about 80 or what seems to be the normal 90% of the time now. I never leave home without it. Unflavored was the one to get me to quit smoking for good. Vaping flavored while actually smoking was like brushing your teeth and then drinking Orange Juice. Not a good combo for me. Add that to the list with no worrying about being upset the flavor not tasting right because it isn't there. ;) I might also be on the list of giving away flavoring because frankly, I wouldn't miss it and would not want to waste the flavoring if it could help out others. I do however enjoy the fact that I have 151 different flavors to choose from at a moments notice. :D

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I like the taste of VG, but I've never vaped unflavored. This thread is making me want to try it though, maybe with some WTA for nuttiness. Possibly. :)

Anna

Go for it. I can't vape 100%VG to save my life, but I vape unflavored (or barely flavored) ejuices all the time. It started by accident, really. I had to dilute most commercial ejuices because they were all too strong for me, so I started diluting, and diluting some more, until I realized that I actually liked my super diluted or just plain unflavored very much indeed.
In other words; you are saying you "want to try unflavored just as soon as you add some flavor to it." ;)
:laugh::lol::lol::lol::laugh:

Just teasing ya Anna:p; I think that would be a fine experiment.

Actually, that's my favorite unflavored mix. :D Just a few drops of Aroma's unflavored WTA added to my base creates the most cigarettelike vape I've ever tried. It's smooth with just a hint of very authentic and satisfying tobacco flavor. I also know of people who buy "throat hit" kind of nicotine base, the kind with a little peppery nic hit, to simulate plain cigarette flavor/sensation and vape it as is (diluted to their preferred strength, of course.)

And, as others have mentioned, my coils and wicks remain clean for a very long time.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Just a few drops of Aroma's unflavored WTA added to my base creates the most cigarettelike vape I've ever tried. It's smooth with just a hint of very authentic and satisfying tobacco flavor.
Fair enough, AND total respect!:thumbs:
B...u...t (since this is a thread asking specifically asking about "unflavored;" and I can't seem to resist "poking the bear";)); is that truly an "unflavored mix" if you are adding anything (other than PG, VG, or nic) to augment flavor/taste???<"wink, wink, nudge, nudge">:p:laugh::D

At that point, to me, that becomes just any other flavor ingredient... regardless of what it is.

Tell me you need it, to create "that" (whatever the heck "that" is) overall satisfaction, that keeps you from reverting back to the stinkies; and I give it a pass in a heartbeat. But, when someone finds the need to describe something as "nutty" or "satisfying flavor;" it crosses the boundary of a "required" base component(PG/VG/nic?other(?)), and becomes a "flavor additive." Thus, the mix is no longer unflavored.

Honestly, when I am not being such a semantic jerk (sorry, my own shortcoming; and I acknowledge and own it:(), I get what you are saying about it being more about a vaping experience, verses a definable/identifiable flavor profile. Something that is pleasing... satisfying...subtle; almost an afterthought. (Verses a distinct identifiable "hang-a-label-on-it" ("peach," "tobacco," "custard," whatever) flavor.)
I also know of people who buy "throat hit" kind of nicotine base, the kind with a little peppery nic hit, to simulate plain cigarette flavor/sensation and vape it as is (diluted to their preferred strength, of course.)
Agreed!:D And, this is probably closer to those who are truly "fine-tuning" their unflavored mix, to their own preferences. I recall reading @Kurt's posts, where he describes intentionally aging/oxidizing his nic, with the specific intent, to bring out specific/identifiable nuances of flavor and throat hit, of his nicotine concentrates, and to his mixes.

This would be keeping "unflavored" to its purest form... nothing but nic, PG, and/or VG, to get a satisfying vape. There are also those, who say a particular brand of VG, or PG can also alter their own level of satisfaction (I am not one of them; but I respect those who say it matters).
And, as others have mentioned, my coils and wicks remain clean for a very long time.
My own experiences agree with that too; the fewer ingredients I add to a mix, the longer my coil(s)/wicking seems to last!
:D:toast::D

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
At that point, to me, that becomes just any other flavor ingredient... regardless of what it is.

Picky, picky. But I'm adding an unflavored WTA eliquid (PG, VG, nic, + minor alkaloids--in addition to nicotine--a major alkaloid), mind you, to my unflavored base. So two different unflavored bases make an unflavored eliquid, n'est pas? :p

If you consider those minor alkaloids as a flavoring, then you should consider nicotine a flavoring, as well. Besides, nothing is truly "flavorless." PG, VG, nic all have distinct flavors.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
all,
been around here for a wee while but haven't read much about people using, or having tried, unflavoured juices (i know there are sections devoted to DIY but this is just to see how folk feel about it...generally. ergo general vaping section. hope that's appropriate).
been making my own juice for a month or so and haven't bought anything pre-mixed since.
yesterday i was thinking about being frugal (ironic considering how much i've spent on hardware...or maybe because of how much i've spent on hardware :w00t:) and without reading anything or researching anything i made my first 'flavourless' mix. i realise that VG, PG and nic do have a certain flavour but you know what i mean...i hope.
did 100ml of VG80/PG20 (72mg nic in PG) to give me a 6mg/ml end result.
vaped that exclusively today.
thoughts...satisfying. can feel the nic. almost creamy. BIG clouds.
i really think it's the way forward for me (though i may go 75/25). odd because because this coincides with me preparing to make flavoured liquid to sell to other people (in very small quantities...not making it a business that'll be my income...love 13 hour days too much for that).
after my prattling...how have others fared if they've tried it?
and breathe (vape)
I've been mixing for 2 years and decided at the beginning to use minimal flavoring. Minimal turns out to be 1% of a flavor called cuppacino by capella. I mix the same for a brother of mine and he's fine with it. Recently I got a second flavor and mixed it at 1% and discovered the differences are so subtle there's no reason to mix 2 different flavors at such a low percent. Because the flavoring is minimal I don't tire of it. My cost of ingredients, typical consumer prices, is 1.1 cents per ml, $25 a year.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If you consider those minor alkaloids as a flavoring, then you should consider nicotine a flavoring, as well. Besides, nothing is truly "flavorless." PG, VG, nic all have distinct flavors.
Nicotine is definitely a "flavoring". Two summers ago when we did the big blind test of four different "premium" nics, I mixed my nic samples to 25mg strength and taste-tested them by dripping them into a BF mod with unflavored, 0mg in the bottle. I'd drip a few drops of the nic, then squonk until I couldn't taste the nic anymore. Nic definitely varies from one vendor to the next. Heck, it even varies between batches from the same vendor. I'm not sure one would notice that in a heavily flavored liquid, but in liquid that has no other flavoring, it's readily apparent.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Heck, it even varies between batches from the same vendor.

Nic also changes flavor depending on how it's stored--frozen unopened, unopened at room temperature, opened at room temperature, how long it's been stored. But you know that better than I do. ;)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Nic also changes flavor depending on how it's stored--frozen unopened, unopened at room temperature, opened at room temperature, how long it's been stored. But you know that better than I do. ;)
Well I haven't taste-tested any of those samples yet. :oops:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Well I haven't taste-tested any of those samples yet. :oops:

Next June? :D

BTW, I just discovered two bottles of NN VG and PG hidden in my closet. Checked my orders on their website, and they are two years old.:facepalm: I completely forgot about them--I usually store everything in my freezer. Should I just chuck them and get new ones? Any thoughts? Anyone? Two years at room temp might be pushing it.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have vaped e-juice older than that before, although it was while I was dual using.... IDK, it might be okay, it might be terrible. I did ask the question of the longevity of bottles of flavoring at a B&M once. They said they would "improve like a fine wine." LOL, kind of a very non-specific answer, but honestly, I think the only way to know would be to try it, but do you really want to?

Anna

Reactions: Katya

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Next June? :D

BTW, I just discovered two bottles of NN VG and PG hidden in my closet. Checked my orders on their website, and they are two years old.:facepalm: I completely forgot about them--I usually store everything in my freezer. Should I just chuck them and get new ones? Any thoughts? Anyone? Two years at room temp might be pushing it.
I think this question would be more at home in the above-linked thread. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
"improve like a fine wine."

:facepalm: Seriously, Phil and Dimitri are right--those people working at B&Ms should be trained.
I think the only way to know would be to try it, but do you really want to?

They look clear, smell fine. Do I want to try them? Heck yes! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread