Status
Not open for further replies.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
I have read posts by certified chemists who have said that unflavored nicotine liquid can be frozen for the long term and should remain good for 18-24 mos. I only buy 100mg, 100% VG liquid and then mix in PG and VG for a 30PG/70VG ratio at 36mg.. That being said, for those that buy their unflavored nic liquid as a ratio of PG/VG, what effect can freezing have on these mixtures? I mean, will separation of the 2 base components occur under freezing temperatures and would it be necessary to agitate/stir them once removed from the freezer?

I'm asking since I am wondering if it would be easier for me to store my nic frozen in the mixed ratio or just continue to thaw out the 100% VG and mix after the fact.

Fortunately, neither "freeze" in the freezer. VG doesn't solidify until about -70, PG around -35. Our freezers don't get anywhere near that cold.

I've never noticed any separation at all in pure PG. I don't imagine that'll be different in VG. I still shake them up well when I take them out, though! There shouldn't be any issue with diluting them down, but I wouldn't add flavoring before freezing. Flavors do have more limited lifespans.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Thanks for the reply. I do know that they do not solidify at freezer temperatures - I just wondered that since they have differing solid temperatures, if that would cause them to separate.

I guess it would probably be easier just to store the 100% VG nic on its own, since it would take up less space in the freezer. And the pure VG and PG are readily available, hence no need to stockpile or freeze, unless buying in bulk.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Another question would be, is there any significant expansion of the liquid? Bottles should be filled to the top to avoid any air degrading the nic. I know that water is a unique substance in that it is one of the only compounds that expands rather than contracts when it freezes. But I would assume that there is water in VG and PG; or I am mistaken?

Thanks for the reply. I do know that they do not solidify at freezer temperatures - I just wondered that since they have differing solid temperatures, if that would cause them to separate.

I guess it would probably be easier just to store the 100% VG nic on its own, since it would take up less space in the freezer. And the pure VG and PG are readily available, hence no need to stockpile or freeze, unless buying in bulk.

I've never noticed any separation (there's a slight color difference between nic and PG, but since I store in amber glass I'm not sure I'd notice). It's always wise to shake thoroughly before use, though, even if stored at room temperature.

I also store undiluted for exactly the same reason. A few bottles in the freezer is no problem. I'm going to Hear About It if I use up a whole shelf! And no matter what happens, VG (soap making, baking, etc.) and PG (animal feed additive, de-icer, etc.) will always be available. I usually just buy 500-1000 ml at a time and store in the refrigerator.

jeapa

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2013
Delaware
I have my larger undiluted bottles of nic base in the freezer, but how do you store the smaller diluted down (18mg) that you are using to make your juices? I just made up a couple of 25ml bottles to experiment with this weekend and I was wondering if I should refrigerate them or not? I will probably use them up in less then a week.

I have my larger undiluted bottles of nic base in the freezer, but how do you store the smaller diluted down (18mg) that you are using to make your juices? I just made up a couple of 25ml bottles to experiment with this weekend and I was wondering if I should refrigerate them or not? I will probably use them up in less then a week.

I dilute when I make my working mix (the stuff I'm actually vaping). I've stored that for periods of six weeks at slightly-chilly room temperature (I prefer my office about 66-68 degrees) with absolutely no issues. Mom stores hers in a cabinet and I make her 250 ml at a time. That lasts her four months, and again, no problems.

For reasonable storage periods, mixed liquids can be stored sealed with minimal air in the bottle at room temperature out of direct sunlight. I find amber glass also helps as nic liquids will yellow slightly if exposed to light (that's not harmful, it's just a discoloration that's slightly unattractive).

For a period of a week, pretty much any storage will do. If you want to park it in clear glass on the windowsill, you shouldn't have a problem with it!

Another question would be, is there any significant expansion of the liquid? Bottles should be filled to the top to avoid any air degrading the nic. I know that water is a unique substance in that it is one of the only compounds that expands rather than contracts when it freezes. But I would assume that there is water in VG and PG; or I am mistaken?

There's some water in PG and VG, but the rest of the PG/VG acts as anti-freeze and keeps it from even thinking about becoming ice. I've never noticed any expansion in the freezer at all. PG/VG actually shrink as they get colder, so that would help offset the water's increasing size--and there's really not that much water in there.

For other purposes, I store DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) in the garage. That freezes solid in fall and thaws in mid-spring (freezing temperatures aren't that far below room temperature). If you shake the plastic bottle you can actually hear the "ice" rattle around in there. It shrinks quite a lot. I've had the same thing happen to liquid paraffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread