Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I've often compared the hobby aspect of vaping to fishing.
You can have an absolutely wonderful experience using cheap, off the shelf hardware, or you can complicate the :censored: out of it, depending on how far you take the custom gear, tying your own flies, etc.
I buy the best hardware I can afford from reputable manufacturers (smok, sigelei, Aspire...) but I haven't gotten into the DIY stuff.
Why fix something that already works?

I recall my dad telling me that fancy fishing lures catch more fishermen than they do fish.

Reactions: stols001

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
While I do call myself a hobbyist vaper I just don’t have time for complex coil building and, for me, I don’t think it’s worth the time to mess with. A simple 26 or 28 round wire coil does the job. Time is a precious resource around here :p

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Ok when I look at 5 wraps of 24ga ss I use vs 5 wraps of 24g kanthal why does the ss have twice the heat on my vape tool?

I don't really understand what you are asking here, could you rephrase it? What do you mean by "heat on my vape tool" that doesn't make any sense to me.... Could you ask in a different way, perhaps? Thanks,

Anna

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
I don't really understand what you are asking here, could you rephrase it? What do you mean by "heat on my vape tool" that doesn't make any sense to me.... Could you ask in a different way, perhaps? Thanks,

Anna
I believe it's mw per square mm
If I measure the rating it gives me for the same mass of ss or kanthal it says ss has 480 and kanthal says 250 ss so wouldnt that mean ss heats faster? Idk I'm just confused at this point

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
If I measure the rating it gives me for the same mass of ss or kanthal it says ss has 480 and kanthal says 250 ss so wouldnt that mean ss heats faster? Idk I'm just confused at this point

More mass at the same wattage ought to heat up more slowly, than less mass. I guess that assumes similar electrical conductivity and resistance. Otherwise, I'm at the edge of my understanding.

• Agree

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I'm just confusing myself at this point haha I think I figured it out >_>
It really doesn't need to be this confusing or technical...keep within the batteries limit ,if mech, and then mess around with builds until you find a good one. Imo there is no need to know the mass , flux, dissipation, density, etc

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
kanthal heats faster than ss because of the lower heat capacity. simple as that. this assumes same guage of each and same resistance of the coil. if you build 2 coils at .5 one of kanthal and one of ss you need double the wraps of ss to equal the resistance. all of that extra metal is going to take a lot longer to heat up.

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
kanthal heats faster than ss because of the lower heat capacity. simple as that. this assumes same guage of each and same resistance of the coil. if you build 2 coils at .5 one of kanthal and one of ss you need double the wraps of ss to equal the resistance. all of that extra metal is going to take a lot longer to heat up.
Regardless of resistance though what about just the same mass of wire?

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Regardless of resistance though what about just the same mass of wire?
kanthal still heats faster because of the lower heat capacity that property doesnt change you can see this in steam engine. build a coil os ss316l at .52 then one of kanthal a1 at 1.0 and the kanthal still has a lower heat capacity mj/K making it heat faster than SS.

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
that doesnt make sense.... 1 woolly mammoth should last weeks.. one day hunting 3 weeks of food... sounds like plenty of time off ;)

Your assuming each hunting trip is successful when actually the hunter trends to lose out to the Wooly Mammoth.

You see the thing about the Wooly Mammoth is they are at the same time both Wooly and Mammoth. This creates huge challenges when trying to bring one down with a spear. The hide, if you get through all that wool, is tremendously tough, and there were pretty fast on their toes.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Electrons bumping along having a relay race forming a current will produce energy in the form of heat as described by V^2/R*t = J (Joules). Joules can readily be converted to calories. Calories can be used to determine the rise in temperature of available e-juice. Available e-juice depends on wicking, surface area, and "pooling areas" in the coil. Boiling points of VG and PG are also known. This is the brief description. By the time you have all of the variables present in an atomizer you have a rather massive calculus problem. Seems much easier to try a few builds and see what works best.

Last edited:

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
You, most likely, use a fixed Voltage for the calculation. As the SS build has about half the resistance of the Kanthal one it'll draw double the Watts.
If you calculate this with a fixed Wattage, the numbers will be the same.
Mech or Regulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread