M401 vs. 510 -- Can't decide. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annastasia

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
Portland, Oregon
www.annstorer.com
Hokay, let's just get it out of the way here and say yeah, I'm a junkie for e-cigs. I have a 901, some random 84mm thing I got off e-bay, and now a BE103 from bestecigs...and now that I feel I have a bit of experience, I want to buy my "final" kit and start putting away supplies for it.

So far, the 901 has been the most reliable, middle of the road device of the ones I own. Okay throat hit, okay battery, okay vapor. It's dependable but meh. The 84mm died after about 3 hits, so I can't really speak to that. The BE103 is nice because the atomizers get hotter than the sun -- great throat hit, and for some reason juice tastes better in it. The batteries last longer, but are more finicky, and the cartridges are tiny.

I have it narrowed down to two models, the 401 or the 510, and I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'd probably end up liking better-- I can't afford to keep trying new starter kits every week!

I like the manual switch idea on the 510, as it seems like the battery would last longer and the vapor would be better -- but a lot of people seem happy with 401s in that regard, and honestly I think I'd be weirded out by pushing a button on my cigarette. I like dragging on my pacifiers. :)

I think what I'm looking for most, in order of importance, is:

1. Cartridge life. I really do not enjoy getting up every 10 minutes to top off.

2. Vapor production -- even over throat hit, as I like playing with the "smoke" more than I care about a throat hit -- although that's nice too.

3. Appearance. Here's where the 401 has it all over the Dura-C, etc, for me. I love, love, love the brown/wood grain style available for the 401s. I don't like black vaporizers at all; I was goth in high school and I'm done with that now. I hate that the 510s only seem to come in black and gold colors. I want something pretty!

Based on these criteria, can anyone help me out?

Thanks! <3

Zaxx

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Ohio
I never did any type of maintenance with mine. I only ever burned 1 atomizer, and that was after 8 weeks. The EVO was the only M401 I've ever owned so I can't say how durable other models are.

The one thing I like about the VX2 model over the 510 is that the atomizer doesn't get as hot. The 510 can get too hot to hold. The VX2 produces the same vapor, and hit without the heat.

Either way, you're looking at the best models out there, so I'm sure you'll be happy with what ever you get.

Good Luck.

RsL

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Minneapolis
I love, love, love the brown/wood grain style available for the 401s. I don't like black vaporizers at all; I was goth in high school and I'm done with that now. I hate that the 510s only seem to come in black and gold colors. I want something pretty!

I think you answered your own question with that comment....didn't you? :D

Plus I'll add that since you said that you don't care about throat hit and obviously the style and looks is very important to you, then I guess the 401 is the only way for you to go!

Last edited:

ruuku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2009
Honolulu, Hawaii
I too have both, but honestly can't decide which i like better.

Positives for the M401:
Robust design, I have 2 atomizers that are going strong after 2 months.
Battery life: Incomparable to the 510. I have to carry 2 M401 batteries to last me a day, but i would have to carry 5-6 with the 510.
Design: I like the fact that I can buy the 401 in many colors/battery sizes (though not as many as the 901).
Juice consumption: The 401 uses juice like a Prius use gas. It is simply my most efficient PV.

Positives for the 510:
Manual Switch: This is the single reason I bought the 510. The ability to control the atomizer is the single greatest feature of the 510. If you're not going to get the manual battery I cannot suggest getting the 510. That being said it totally changes the vaping experience.
Vapor Production/Throat Hit: The 510 has vapor production in spades. The only downside to this is that the 510 heats juice up so high that i cannot use my standard 50% VG with it.
Accessories: Although the battery life on the 510 is substandard, with the PCC, I can keep vaping all day on a FRESH battery at all times. This is great when your not at home. Well its an added expense, but only necessary if your only using the 510 at home/near an outlet.

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    I have it narrowed down to two models, the 401 or the 510, and I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'd probably end up liking better-- I can't afford to keep trying new starter kits every week!

I like the manual switch idea on the 510, as it seems like the battery would last longer and the vapor would be better -- but a lot of people seem happy with 401s in that regard, and honestly I think I'd be weirded out by pushing a button on my cigarette. I like dragging on my pacifiers. :)

The button takes a little getting used to, but isn't a big deal. I *still* prefer an auto, but...the manual does have some advantages as well.

I think what I'm looking for most, in order of importance, is:
    1. Cartridge life. I really do not enjoy getting up every 10 minutes to top off.
    2. Vapor production -- even over throat hit, as I like playing with the "smoke" more than I care about a throat hit -- although that's nice too.
    3. Appearance. Here's where the 401 has it all over the Dura-C, etc, for me. I love, love, love the brown/wood grain style available for the 401s. I don't like black vaporizers at all; I was goth in high school and I'm done with that now. I hate that the 510s only seem to come in black and gold colors. I want something pretty!
    Based on these criteria, can anyone help me out?
    Thanks! <3

The 401 cart holds at best .25ml of fluid. The 510 holds .5ml.
    The nice thing *not* mentioned on the 401 is the exposed atomizer. I don't like dripping, but dipping on the 401 is awesome. Fill small cup/shot glass (err, I use a soda cap) with a few drops, just put the exposed wick in and let it absorb, and you've got vapor. Do it without an inner cart on the 401 if you'd like and are somewhere convenient (eg, at a desk).

Vapor production - the 401 can do..ok to pretty good. The 510 beats it consistently. Throat hit is better on the 510. And the PCC is very nice.

Here's a 510 review I did, which also has the 401 in it:
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...0-510-review-comparisons-m401-kr808d-1-a.html

Buy both :) I find it's a lot easier to mix up some 'test mixtures' and dip the 401, versus dripping or loading a full cart on the 510, until I 'get it right.'

Last edited:

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Either I'm in the vast minority or I'm doing something wrong because I can't get decent vapor from my 401 no matter what I've tried - dripping, dipping, pre-filled carts or using empty carts filled with my own liquid. And all the flavors taste pretty much the same, which is - ehh. <shrug>

Suzi

Is it a new atomizer? Possible you're still getting the nasty primer through it?

Do you have a second one you can try?

Or, try draining/cleaning the one you have... ?

RsL

ECF Veteran
    Apr 18, 2009
    Minneapolis
    M401 = Economy car, great gas mileage, automatic transmission, weak performance. Has a problem with an engine that starts on it's own in certain situations.

510 = Performance car, terrible gas mileage, manual transmission, performance leaves the competition in the dust.

What do you want to drive? ;)

So my Harley is not an option ?? :D

So far the advice to the OP has been good. But from what I read Ann already has her heart set on a 401 and that's Ok. It is a stylish little device that performs Ok and pretty much meets her all her specs.

Note that this is coming from a hardcore 510 user, but I'm just looking at it in regards to what she wants. The 510 will always be waiting for her anyway! :)

Last edited:

iiimathman24iii

ECF Veteran
    Apr 29, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    www.myspace.com
    The only downside to this is that the 510 heats juice up so high that i cannot use my standard 50% VG with it.

Why is this? does it have something to do with it reaching 100c i read somewhere in this vast forum that it turned into ?ACRELYNE? no clue if i spelled that right but i believe i read it was ?carcinogenic? not sure but this is something i would definitely want to avoid... i believe all of the juice i own has some percentage of VG... could you please elaborate... thanks...

emsmom

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 19, 2009
    Arizona
    I really like my 401 as it is as reliable as they come. The only thing I find lacking is the throat hit, this model seems to be a lot mellower, so if you like mellow you can't go wrong with this one. Or find a really strong juice to go with this model. Now for the 510 - if you are looking for vapor production, this is the one to go with, it does beat out the 401. Throat hit is also quite good, much better than the 401. Makes sense since you can get the atomizer cooking before taking a drag. To me the advantage of the 510 is the manual switch. If you don't want the manual, I can't see going for this model over the 401. Once you have tried a manual switch I can't imagine that you wouldn't love it! Just takes a little adjusting to pushing the button. Reliability is much better with the 401Cart life is pretty darn good on the 401 considering how small it is, but the 510 cart is larger, so better. My son uses the 401 (exclusively) and has abused the heck out of it! I consider this to be the most reliable of all the models and I have tried them all! We are consistantly getting over 2 months out of an atomizer! The 401/402 would be the perfect ecig in my opinion if you could somehow get more of a throat hit from it. Love the size, feel, look (the woodgrain is really sexy), decent battery life and most of all the reliability of this model! Parts are also very reasonable for the 401

Judge Mental

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2009
    FL
    Is it a new atomizer? Possible you're still getting the nasty primer through it?

Do you have a second one you can try?

Or, try draining/cleaning the one you have... ?

I've tried 3 different attys. I've drained them by blowing into it and letting it sit mesh side down overnight. I haven't tried any of the various alcohol/coke/boiling methods. Still taste like a stale analog with little to no vapor.

I have a 510 on the way but I'm disappoiinted since so many others have good results with their 401/402s.

Suzi

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
    Feb 27, 2009
    The Windy City
    IMO, the only positive with a 401 is its incredible battery life (for a mini). Other than that, the 510 manual, hands down.

I would have to agree here. I have a tough time deciding which model is my fave. but I'd have to say the 510 is. I love the manual battery and the sealed battery - both plus. with the manual battery you can control the amout of the drag you take and the vapor production is amazing

as for pushing the manual button, I keep the button in the back and the way I hold my ecig, it isn't a prob. pushing in the button with my thumb.
    good luck on your search

Last edited:

Angela

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2009
    Hertfordshire, England
    I use a 401 and so does my other half. However, he has just bought himself a Titan 510 manual to use whilst he is driving and I have been using it as well to see what I thought of it. (he drives a van which has more vibrations that your average car and this was setting off his M401 batts).

I have to say that I prefer my 401 to the 501 manual (from what I've read, don't bother with the 510 auto bats). Yes, the 510 manual gives more vapour - but there isn't a H-U-G-E difference.

I don't personally like the manual batteries - can't be bothered with fiddling with a button but the real deal-breaker for me is the diameter of the 510. It's quite a bit wider than the 410 (which is similar to an analogue) and it feels uncomfortable in my mouth.

Yes, you'll find an e-cig that gives more vapour than the M401;
    yes, you'll find one that gives more throat hit;
    yes, you'll find one that lets the flavour of the juice come through more;
    yes, you'll ind one that has a battery that lasts longer;

BUT - not all in one e-cig!

Plus the M401 is easy to get parts for, and there are so many different options available for colour combinations. I think it's a lovely sleek little device.

IMHO, you'd be hard-pushed to find an e-cig that gives you as high a score as the M401 when all points are considered.

Just my opinion... which is obviously biased wince I love my 401! :D

PS - My other half has also come to the conclusion that he will definitely only use the 510 for driving, but the 410 for everyday, general vaping

Last edited:
    im having this same dilemma.

ive been looking at both of these models myself and just cant make a decision on which id like to purchase.

i want tons of vapor, but i also want a battery thats going to last. i started vaping with a 4062 e-cigar and it produces quite the amount of vapor along with having great battery and cartridge life. the downside to it is the size. id like something smaller and more convenient to carry around.

so is the battery life really that bad on the 510's? about how long do you get out of an average charge?

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
    Feb 27, 2009
    The Windy City
    im having this same dilemma.

ive been looking at both of these models myself and just cant make a decision on which id like to purchase.

i want tons of vapor, but i also want a battery thats going to last. i started vaping with a 4062 e-cigar and it produces quite the amount of vapor along with having great battery and cartridge life. the downside to it is the size. id like something smaller and more convenient to carry around.

so is the battery life really that bad on the 510's? about how long do you get out of an average charge?

Everyone gets a different battery life since no two vapers vape the same. I'm a constant vaper and I get about 3 hours of life at best. I just keep a few charged up and them swap them around. Rob @ altsmoke just got new purple LED batteries, had to order a few :p

I will say though that I'm mostly a E-cigar fan, but the 510 really won me over when I got it last week. Couldn't be happier with it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread