Married Batteries 1 cell is bigger, bad?

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
Hey guys today i notice something when replacing batteries in my odin v2 one of my batteries felt a bit snug so i compared them the 2 cells that wqs inside the odin and i noticed that one is a tiny bit larger then the other but how is that possible they are Both 40T batteries and 21700 why is one of my cell bigger then the other?
Theres a sticker in it and i do see slight difference one sticker says 35amp and uses a different letter styling then the other 40T both bought at the same place and ive been using them married for months only noticed it today..

Anyway
Can i keep using them paired will it be
fine? I dont have money for new cells right now and i only have 1 more set
I made a picture of the 2 cells the one that is slightly bigger has the 35amp written on it

Edit: botton cell is slightly taller maybe fatter too but how tho they arr 21700 40Ts hmm hopefully its fine to use together still ive been doin so for months

Attachments

• IMG_20230802_132114.jpg
    IMG_20230802_132114.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230802_153548.jpg
    IMG_20230802_153548.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
I made a topic about this earlier but it should of been posted here instead anyway i got these 2 40T 21700 batteries they are married and ive been using them for couple months i noticed one cell is sitting a bit tigher in mods so i checked them out and appears that one of them is slightly taller, does matter or hurt my devices?
Also what i noticed is the sticker have slight differences one has a different font style and one says 35amp while other does not..
Are these ok to use as a pair even when 1 is taller?
I included a picture and if not did i hurt my mods by doing so?

Attachments

• IMG_20230802_153548.jpg
    IMG_20230802_153548.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
I made a topic about this earlier but it should of been posted here instead anyway i got these 2 40T 21700 batteries they are married and ive been using them for couple months i noticed one cell is sitting a bit tigher in mods so i checked them out and appears that one of them is slightly taller, does matter or hurt my devices?
Also what i noticed is the sticker have slight differences one has a different font style and one says 35amp while other does not..
Are these ok to use as a pair even when 1 is taller?
I included a picture and if not did i hurt my mods by doing so?

To me, the battery on the left in your pic looks like the battery wrap might be thicker. Giving the appearance that it's taller and thicker??? IDK, just a guess.

You've been using them without any problems, so I would say it's okay.

Your post from your other thread:

Hey guys today i notice something when replacing batteries in my odin v2 one of my batteries felt a bit snug so i compared them the 2 cells that wqs inside the odin and i noticed that one is a tiny bit larger then the other but how is that possible they are Both 40T batteries and 21700 why is one of my cell bigger then the other?
Theres a sticker in it and i do see slight difference one sticker says 35amp and uses a different letter styling then the other 40T both bought at the same place and ive been using them married for months only noticed it today..

Anyway
Can i keep using them paired will it be
fine? I dont have money for new cells right now and i only have 1 more set
I made a picture of the 2 cells the one that is slightly bigger has the 35amp written on it

Edit: botton cell is slightly taller maybe fatter too but how tho they arr 21700 40Ts hmm hopefully its fine to use together still ive been doin so for months

Curious - - - does the taller/fatter battery fit more tightly in your Odin mod? If it does you might want to consider replacing the battery wrap. If it doesn't then use it "as is".

The one that feels and looks "fatter" has me thinking it has a slightly thicker battery wrap. Those 40T's probably came from two different batches. And maybe they used a slightly thicker insulator on the positive end of the taller one???

FWIW, Molicel batteries use thicker wraps. As a result, their 18650's don't fit in some of my mech tube mods. I've replaced battery wraps on a couple and they then fit like any of my other 18650's do.

The way to determine for certain is to remove the battery wraps and measure both cells. But seeing as you haven't had any problems, I wouldn't to that. Unless you want to satisfy your curiosity AND have replacement 21700 battery wraps.

I would continue using them as they are.

Users who are viewing this thread