Mech mod question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjboboy

Apr 17, 2013
San Diego
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to vaping and Im getting the hang of it and enjoying it. I started with blu, but it got pretty expensive since I was vaping a carto almost every day. Got a provari last month and a Vamo coming. Now I stubled upon mech mods and the ones from the phillipines looks very nice. I have families over there that can get them to me at a local price. My question is, what is the advantage of a mech mod over a mod like a vamo or provari. I noticed that experience vapers likes them better with their rebuildables. I did my research and found that mech mods can only get you 3.7 volts. is that strong enough for any rba . Thanks guys. This place is great

Chadshaw

Verified Member
Feb 16, 2011
Virginia
That's the great part about an RBA, you can build the coil as low a resistance as you like, therefore your vape is as cool or hot as you choose (once you find the sweetspot). The biggest advantage to a mechanical in my opinion is its easy to fix with easy, cheap parts, no circuit boards to fail or fry. You can even yank the battery and run em under water to clean.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Cj, The benefit if a mech is that you have no limits on amperage draw, other than the batteries limit. This allows you to build almost any Ω coil on a rebuildable to achieve outputs far beyond those capable on a regulated mod.

As an example. A mech mod with 3.7v of output, with a high quality battery can supply 10+amperes of current , allowing coil resistances under .5Ω...... so with the correct build coil of say .4Ω and 3.7v of output a mech could produce ~34 watts of output.......

Most mod chips are limited to around 4amperes of output so this level of wattage is unattainable with them. There are some chips that are limited to 6 and fewer that are limited to 10 but those are not available in an off the shelf mod.

The variances with RBAs are the coil and this is what mechs are intended to exploit, there is more than one way to get high wattage output......

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
OK ive looked at couple rba builds on youtube and they ussually run their rba's up to 5 volts. Is there a way for a mech mod to run higer than 3.7 v

Not safely. The only reason to run an rba that high is because the mod its attached to can't provide the amperage for ultra low resistance coils.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
does that mean i need to build my rba with lower gauge wires.

Or fewer wraps.

Kanthal Wire Specs I have

28 AWG- 0.439 Ohms/in, 0.0508 Diameter (in.)
30 AWG- 0.696 Ohms/in, 0.0100 Diameter (in.)
32 AWG- 1.091 Ohms/in, 0.0080 Diameter (in.)
33 AWG- 1.383 Ohms/in, 0.0071 Diameter (in.)
34 AWG- 1.758 Ohms/in, 0.0063 Diameter (in.)

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
does that mean i need to build my rba with lower gauge wires.

Please do not stack batteries......

Lower gauge wiring will produce lower Ω coils, so just build your coil to your preferences, and to not exceed the limits of your device. Always check your final build with a meter before firing it up. Stay safe.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
After all the talk about the mechanical mods and their use on an RBA, I'd like to throw in my :2c:

I have a Silver Bullet that I had all intentions to put an RBA on.

Silver Bullet with AGA T2.jpg My Silver Bullet with AGA T2

But I prefer using the RBA's with a higher ohm coil (2.0 ohm) on my Provari's. Granted, I prefer a cooler vape, and I frequently switch out different flavors requiring different voltages, which the Provari's can easily handle and the Silver Bullet can't.

AGA T2 on Provari's.jpg AGA T2's and Provari and Mini Provari

Just saying that I'm perfectly happy using my RBA's on a Provari (which you already have) and you may not need to purchase a mech mod especially for that.

Last edited:

cjboboy

Apr 17, 2013
San Diego
After all the talk about the mechanical mods and their use on an RBA, I'd like to throw in my :2c:

I have a Silver Bullet that I had all intentions to put an RBA on.

View attachment 218044 My Silver Bullet with AGA T2

But I prefer using the RBA's with a higher ohm coil (2.0 ohm) on my Provari's. Granted, I prefer a cooler vape, and I frequently switch out different flavors requiring different voltages, which the Provari's can easily handle and the Silver Bullet can't.

View attachment 218046 AGA T2's and Provari and Mini Provari

Just saying that I'm perfectly happy using my RBA's on a Provari (which you already have) and you may not need to purchase a mech mod especially for that.

thanks... Buying the mech mod is not actually necessary but a collection issue for me.. I just wanted to make sure that they will be usefull and not just for show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread