Menthol Crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Tennessee
Is it best to add menthol crystals to a recipe by themselves, or should I premix them in either PG or VG prior to mixing? If I premix them, it seems like the mixture would further dilute recipes. If I simply add the crystals by themselves during mixing, that wouldn't dilute as much. If premixed, how would I know the ratio of VG/crystals to mix? Which do you prefer?

An instruction sheet was sent with my menthol crystals. It says to crush them while in the bag into a powder. Add crystals to eliquid using the .15cc spoon included with the crystals (one level spoon full per 10 ml of liquid). Shake well, and place bottle of eliquid in hot water for 1 - 2 minutes to allow crystals to dissolve. After dissolved, shake well again. It's just a guideline - add more or less to taste.

Thanks!

Thomasis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
Somewhere on top of the world
I have never added menthol crystals directly to any of my juices, not to say you can't but you will have inconsistant remixes if you try to duplicate. I do a 10% mix, 1ml crushed menthol crystals to 9ml Everclear. Once this is done I take the 10ml menthol mix and add 10ml 50/50 pg/vg at 24mg nic. This gives me 20ml of 12.5 mg nic menthol to work with. So the total menthol content in the end is actually 5% but it works well for me. Hope this helps. You can sub pg for the everclear if you don't want to use pga but the pga makes a REALLY nice TH combined with the menthol.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Menthol crystals can be mixed in a multitude of "strengths" using varying amounts of this and that. There will be numerous menthol crystal dilution ratios provided (as have been all over [search menthol]).

My mix is 1-1/2tsp crushed crystals, 10ml PG, 10ml PGA, 30 drops TFA Koolada 10%. I add this to a 50/50 20mg 180ml batch about once a month for my parents. No other flavorings, unless I add a couple ml of tobacco extract. They smoked Salem for a loooong time. This mixture is VERY potent with menthol. It's not a lung-ripper tho.

Lemonaid

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Idaho
Thanks for this thread. I wanted to try the crushed crystals in Everclear as many have suggested to make my base mix, but just found out that Idaho does not allow the sale of Everclear..nor is it available (I'm told) in neighboring Washington state.

Sooooo. Looks like crushing and mixing with PG directly is my new option.....Do you heat it or?... how long must it steep with this method?
Thanks for the advice in advance.

Thomasis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
Somewhere on top of the world
Lemonaid,

You can make the recipe with PG if you would like. The fastes way would be for you to heat the pg a bit in a hot water bath. This will speed up the mixing process, but it's not necessary if your patient. You can also add vg to you mix if you like. Just try to keep your menthol mix at room temperature. Even this is not necessary, if your menthol gets too cold, it will crystalize and you will have to warm it up a bit, no worries I have also heard of people using vodka but I have not tried this, I'll let someone else chime in on that... Like dougiestyle said, there will be many recipes you can search on the forum for menthol, just start with a low percentage and work your way up until your satisfied with flavor/ throat hit / viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread