Mod Guidance.. Questions and concerns. Help! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So I am not necessarily a newbie to vaping in general its been perhaps a little over 6 months now, and I have loved it. I have upgraded a few months ago to Vision spinners, and love them. But I am on a new quest... Looking into the mods.

I'm mister research and have always been this way, but I think I scared myself into a problem. Some of you might say, with this thought I have I'm too new to be looking into mod's or if i'm thinking this way I shouldn't be thinking about mods, and well so be it. But I just would like some specific help..

I read about the batteries, and 'potential' issues.. Specifically with cheap batteries and or chargers, ie. overcharging, exploding, not venting in the pv etc. etc. I think what I did was read too much and just got my mind fixated on that these aren't safe. I hate anything that has to do with electricity too, (i'm a computer guy)

Long story short, I don't mean to ramble, I am looking into the VAMO rev 2 or innokin SVD. With the 18650 IMR batteries and probably some 18350 as well.

I read problems with alot of these chargers ie. trustfire etc. etc. These 2 above I listed, are they 'safe' what about batteries, chargers etc. etc. If anybody could shed light on my fears, and potentially send me some links, to more info, and whom and what to purchase pv, batteries, and charger, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance! And If not, I supposed I will just enjoy my safe spinners ha. I think im just bugging.

-jon

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
As far as your concerns with batteries, AW IMR safer chemistry batteries have become the industry standard for practically any APV on the market today. Most APV manufacturer's actually make their products and specify to use AW IMR's as well. It is because the battery can handle the highest amps and carries the highest C rating of batteries out there today. All that said, Panasonic make a very comparable 18650 battery in the CGR line. I have a couple of Efest 18350's and they work ok, but I still notice a difference in performance with my AW IMR 18350's. The AW's just perform better.

For your charger concerns, a lot of people have had good luck with either Xtar or Pila chargers. There are still some that use Trustfire and swear by them, but I think there are more people using the ones I specified. I myself use a charger, Adjustable Battery Charger for 14500, 18650 3.7v battery, I received from SmokTek with a 3.7v box mod I bought a little over a year ago and I charge 14500, 18350, 18490, and 18650's on it no problem. It has a cut off in it when the battery hits 4.24/4.25v. I have never had one over charge on it as yet and it gets used daily....or in most cases, nightly. I charge most times overnight. Never had a problem and never had a battery come off it even warm.... It only cost me like $7.50 at the time and was very skeptical at first, but I swear by it now. I also bought a Ultrafire WF-188 prior to that and it lasted me all of about 3 1/2 months and just stopped working one day. What a let down. It was the go to charger at the time.... IMO it was a waste of money....

Here is a good link for all battery and charger needs.... RTD Vapor AW Batteries

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
So I am not necessarily a newbie to vaping in general its been perhaps a little over 6 months now, and I have loved it. I have upgraded a few months ago to Vision spinners, and love them. But I am on a new quest... Looking into the mods.

I'm mister research and have always been this way, but I think I scared myself into a problem. Some of you might say, with this thought I have I'm too new to be looking into mod's or if i'm thinking this way I shouldn't be thinking about mods, and well so be it. But I just would like some specific help..

I read about the batteries, and 'potential' issues.. Specifically with cheap batteries and or chargers, ie. overcharging, exploding, not venting in the pv etc. etc. I think what I did was read too much and just got my mind fixated on that these aren't safe. I hate anything that has to do with electricity too, (i'm a computer guy)

Long story short, I don't mean to ramble, I am looking into the VAMO rev 2 or innokin SVD. With the 18650 IMR batteries and probably some 18350 as well.

I read problems with alot of these chargers ie. trustfire etc. etc. These 2 above I listed, are they 'safe' what about batteries, chargers etc. etc. If anybody could shed light on my fears, and potentially send me some links, to more info, and whom and what to purchase pv, batteries, and charger, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance! And If not, I supposed I will just enjoy my safe spinners ha. I think im just bugging.

-jon

Hi Jonjay,
I use my Vamo a lot - I've had it for nearly 3 months now. Good pv. I'm thinking of getting the Innokin SVD too - that looks to be a very good mod. I'll put some links below for you for safe batteries and a safe charger.
A lot of people get the batteries and chargers from RTD Vapor. Here's what you would need:

Charger:
Battery Chargers : Xtar WP2 II

Any of these batteries - two of whichever brand:
18605s
AW IMR 18650 2000 mAh
or
Batteries : Efest IMR 18650 Button Top
or
Batteries : Panasonic Hybrid/ IMR CGR18650CH Button Top

18350s:
Batteries : AW IMR 18350 3.7V 700mAh
or
Batteries : Efest IMR 18350 Button Top

shortee611

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Aylmer, On
I've been vaping a little over a month. Started with ego twists and t3s and carto tanks. Hated t3s and cartos were hit or miss. I wanted this to work but the t3s and cartos weren't helping at all so I figured an RBA would be the way to go. I figured I'd go big. The next day 310vapers sent me an email saying the ZAU was available, snagged one up. Then had to find a mod. Mechanical or VV/VW? Read allot of post saying that a mechanical is the way to go with a RBA. Went to MMVapors and ordered a Poldiac. At that time it came with all the body tubes 18350, 490, 650. Ordered an bunch of batts AW IMR's in 18350 and 18650 A 2 bay and a 6 bay xtar chargers. I've been using this setup for a couple of weeks and completely happy. I don't regret spending all that money right off the bat. Would have spent allot more if I had decided to go with a VV device then to a mechanical. And this way if I didn't like what I had bought I could sell it with minimal loss.

Now tho find a good backup.......

jonjay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks guys for the replies. After a TON of research, paranoia, and man hours, I came to conclude what I will (did) purchase. I got the VAMO v2, efest IMR's and an xtar wp2 ii charger.

SO much info on the net; and so many choices, and vendors who just push products which in my opinion aren't the greatest. A buddy of mine went to a local vendor and bought the telescope, and got the crappy trust fire charger and trust fire batteries. These don't look the best to me, and I personally based on reviews would stay away. I'm satisfied with what I got for now.

First MOD i'm excited. =) Until then...

Thanks again guys for the time and responses!

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Thanks guys for the replies. After a TON of research, paranoia, and man hours, I came to conclude what I will (did) purchase. I got the VAMO v2, efest IMR's and an xtar wp2 ii charger.

SO much info on the net; and so many choices, and vendors who just push products which in my opinion aren't the greatest. A buddy of mine went to a local vendor and bought the telescope, and got the crappy trust fire charger and trust fire batteries. These don't look the best to me, and I personally based on reviews would stay away. I'm satisfied with what I got for now.

First MOD i'm excited. =) Until then...

Thanks again guys for the time and responses!

Glad you've got the hard yards out of the way. Now its just waiting for the vapemail... But its worth it. :thumb:

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
AW are Panasonic cells and are great, MNKE have higher tolerances though. Pila is my charger of choice and have had zero issues with it for a long time.

Don't leave batteries on the charger when you aren't around. Don't over discharge them in your device. Obviously don't expose them to extreme heat or puncture them.

Only use IMR batteries in your devices unless they specifically call for LiCo batteries, and never use those without a pcb.

Happy vaping!

Sent from my Nexus 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread