Mod Kit with USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. First time posting here, so I'm sorry if it might be a question that is "noobish". I'm still learning.

I've been vaping for about a year, smoked analog since 18. I love it. The flavors, the tech, all of it. I order from Mt. Baker pretty frequently, they're my favorite liquids. I have also started rebuilding my own atomizers. I have 10' of Kanthal 32 and I use P&C Cotton thread for my wicks.

So, I have had around 10 ego-style batteries. Short ones, long ones, passthroughs, I've had quite a few. I really like the USB style because I spend a lot of time on the computer and, in general, I'm never more than 10 ft from a USB port. Rarely, though, I am away from it and so I feel the need to have a decent battery that can charge from USB and hold a charge for a decent period. So, the short-style passthrough-only connectors don't really work for me. My favorite, up until 4-5 days ago was an Ego-C model that had a USB plug. It was really easy to stay connected when I wanted to vape and have it there for me the short times when I wasn't around a USB plug.

To make rebuilds easier, I just brought a Drunker tank atomizer. Well, considering that I also have been wanting to get into Variable Voltage, larger batteries. So, I ponied up for the Vamo V2.

Honestly, I'm really disappointed. The first thing that I found out was that it has some kind of problem with a gasket that causes attys to register at 0 Ohms and not work. Not really a big deal, I can get a new gasket from Home Depot, but I'm also disappointed in the battery life. 2-3 hours at a decent wattage and it's out...gotta replace and recharge. I guess I can get new batteries with a better mah life, and I probably will but...

I was wondering if anyone knew if any of the bigger battery mods that has a USB port for charging/passthrough. I really like the weight and the variable voltage of the Vamo, it's just all of the issues with it. I'm not rich, but I don't mind spending money on something that works well. My Ego-C USB was great, it's just that it had such a low battery life and such a weak battery anyway. Plus its not VV. Has anyone heard of anything like the Vamo with a USB-powered charging? Thank you!

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Down side to the 3.0 is it's 800 mAh... so for me, only good for a few hours... otherwise, great little stick APV.

You can get the old Innokin MVP in VV, but it doesn't read resistance, or the new MVP2 that's VV-VW, and does. 2600mAh self-contained battery with USB and an output to charge other devices. Well under $60 if you shop around.

Parallel

Oct 10, 2013
Portland, OR
Ordering from FastTech as Paralle lined to is a crap shoot. They've been having lots and lots of issues shipping Li-Ion batteries because of Chinas shipping ban on them.

Yeah, it took a couple of weeks for me but that was also due to ordering on their holiday week. I saved around $20 bucks though so I felt it was worth the wait.

EsOne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Millbury OH
Yeah, it took a couple of weeks for me but that was also due to ordering on their holiday week. I saved around $20 bucks though so I felt it was worth the wait.
Do you order from there often enough to know the big thing going on now is a lot of people (hundreds if not more) are completely not getting their orders? China (at least SP and HKP) have buckled down on not shipping loose Li-Ion batteries and have literally sent thousands of packages back to FT because of them.

However, psynophile..
If you're ordering a mod at fasttech, you should be good as long as you don't order the kit with the loose batteries. 2-3 week shipping is honestly minimum. Many wait a month or more easy.

I'm just making you aware of the fasttech problem so you don't order from the link without expecting you MAY not get the item and may have to get refunded long after purchase if they can't get the batteries past the postal x-ray machines.

Parallel

Oct 10, 2013
Portland, OR
Do you order from there often enough to know the big thing going on now is a lot of people (hundreds if not more) are completely not getting their orders? China (at least SP and HKP) have buckled down on not shipping loose Li-Ion batteries and have literally sent thousands of packages back to FT because of them.

I don't order from them "often enough" to know the "big thing going on" however, I did my research when I ordered and am/was quite aware of the battery issue. It's good to make the issue known. I apologize for not putting it in my OP.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
To make rebuilds easier, I just brought a Drunker tank atomizer. Well, considering that I also have been wanting to get into Variable Voltage, larger batteries. So, I ponied up for the Vamo V2.

Honestly, I'm really disappointed. The first thing that I found out was that it has some kind of problem with a gasket that causes attys to register at 0 Ohms and not work. Not really a big deal, I can get a new gasket from Home Depot, but I'm also disappointed in the battery life. 2-3 hours at a decent wattage and it's out...gotta replace and recharge. I guess I can get new batteries with a better mah life, and I probably will but...

If you're using a 18350 maybe 2-3 hrs but if you're using an 18650 you've got a problem with too much resistance somewhere IMO.

Hey Thanks for the recommendations, I'm going to look at all of them.

I have seen the thinner Ego-V style USB sticks. I know it sounds superficial, but the drunker tank looks really weird hooked up to a thin Ego battery...

My 650 battery is only 1500mah. It was a loose one included in the kit. I'll definitely look at getting a higher mah battery, thank you for the recommendation. I only got the Vamo the other day.

Vapoor eyes er: You think it might be my coils? I fully admit that I'm an amateur. I have another tank, it's an EVOD style that I brought from a local shop here in Athens. I've rewick/coil-ed it a bunch of times. I'm using Kanger 30 wire. I usually do 4 really close wraps. Is there anything else I could be doing to reduce the ohms?

EsOne: I ordered mine, completely unknowingly, from a place in Australia that ships from China. Yea, it took a month to get here and the post office held it until I could get there to sign for it. Kinda lame, it was on Columbus day too, so had to wait the weekend. Minor annoyance because the post office is good long way from where I live and they told me over the phone that they would be there when they weren't. Still, though, it was like 36.00 for 2 650 batteries, a charger, the vamo and a 350 battery.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Vapoor eyes er: You think it might be my coils? I fully admit that I'm an amateur. I have another tank, it's an EVOD style that I brought from a local shop here in Athens. I've rewick/coil-ed it a bunch of times. I'm using Kanger 30 wire. I usually do 4 really close wraps. Is there anything else I could be doing to reduce the ohms?

What sometimes happens is there's too much resistance/ bad connection somewhere- could be in the threads or it could be inside the top cap where a wire is screw-attached to the cap. If there's a bad connection then it needs more power to run and thus the batt drains quickly. Fixed a friends BUT it was really tough to remove the cap- eventually gave it to my nephew who's a tool and die worker with specialty equipment.
First try cleaning the threads and see if that helps.
You're re wrapping? have you tested the coils with a multi tester?

The iTaste vv/vw 3 as recommended by Parallel is highly regarded and is superior in quality compared to the Vamo.

Yea, I just watched a Youtube review. I think I'll get one of those, next. VV and VW in a slim little package is nice.

My Druker tank looks cool and holds a lot of liquid, I do like that, but I use a decent chunk of cotton wick to get it wicked. The EVOD style, however, is bottom-wicked and I like that about it; it uses less wick, so I think I may get another one just as a spare. I want to spend money on the local sellers because I want to see more sellers here in Athens.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Yea, I just watched a Youtube review. I think I'll get one of those, next. VV and VW in a slim little package is nice.

My Druker tank looks cool and holds a lot of liquid, I do like that, but I use a decent chunk of cotton wick to get it wicked. The EVOD style, however, is bottom-wicked and I like that about it; it uses less wick, so I think I may get another one just as a spare. I want to spend money on the local sellers because I want to see more sellers here in Athens.

If you like bottom coil clearos you may want to look at the ProTank II- make sure it's version 2. It's made of glass/ pyrex so "acidic" juices won't damage it.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
2 or 3 hours on a vamo? are you only using the 350 batteries? try the 18650 mode using one of the 2900mah batteries, should get ya around 2 days.

sorry cant help with a cheap mod, havent used any.

You might consider these mods cheap for you, but to some of us they seem expensive enough. Not everyone has a flexible budget. I'm sure it's nice to have one cuz' I'd love to try some of those high priced mods. Happy Vaping!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread