My Coffin Box 18650 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Yes, but that only applies to inductive loads. There's no appreciable "flyback" with an atomizer because there is no appreciable inductance. There is some because any conductor has an amount of inductance, however small, but it's not enough to impact the switch at all.

The problem with tactiles is they typically use a spring steel plate with a very small contact area. That tiny contact area burns easily with higher currents destroying the switch. There's no way to get around that except to use a bigger switch with larger contacts.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
:facepalm:You know, I can't help myself, it's a coil association thing...aren't we vaping off the primary of an air cored transformer (the secondary is just theoretical in this particular application) :confused:

Edit: oh, and the AC sine wave inducing a voltage into the theoretical secondary is also theoretical...

holy crap, I really should have a "no posts after 3 cocktails" limit

Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
:facepalm:You know, I can't help myself, it's a coil association thing...aren't we vaping off the primary of an air cored transformer (the secondary is just theoretical in this particular application) :confused:

Well, you'd have to measure it to say for sure, but there's a short formula for a coil in air and inductance is like a tenth of what it is using a highly permeable core like tranformer steel. I would have to say it's really not going to impact the switch, but that's just my feeling about it. In any case, flyback would not be more than a few Volts at the outset so it wouldn't be the worth components it would take to try and dump it. Heavily inductive loads can have flyback in the kilovolts so a few here and there is nothing to concern yourself with.

monkeykoder

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
california
Yes, but that only applies to inductive loads. There's no appreciable "flyback" with an atomizer because there is no appreciable inductance. There is some because any conductor has an amount of inductance, however small, but it's not enough to impact the switch at all.

The problem with tactiles is they typically use a spring steel plate with a very small contact area. That tiny contact area burns easily with higher currents destroying the switch. There's no way to get around that except to use a bigger switch with larger contacts.

Again you drop the current through the switch with a large resistor and pour the primary current through a transistor not the cheap route but you could get all the wattage you want through there.

Eliteedge_7

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Shelby , Michigan
I miss mine. I built it for my first mod I have moved past it now though, it was awesome until it got stolen. :(
P5290138.jpg P5290141.jpg

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Again you drop the current through the switch with a large resistor and pour the primary current through a transistor not the cheap route but you could get all the wattage you want through there.

I think it's been discussed enough in this section of the forum it can be taken for granted that a transistor, specifically a MOSFET, is employed when you want to use a low current switch. The discussion was more about finding a small switch that does not require that solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread