My landlord is trying to not only ban e-cigs but even owning a mod!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elyptic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY
As bad as it sounds, if you're renting, then I believe they have the power to ban vaping on the premises. It sucks, but I do believe that a landlord can do that just as they can ban smoking or pets.

What they cannot do, is ban what you can have in your apartment. vape gear isn't illegal and therefore, they cannot enforce whether you own it or not.

I'd ask for clarification before the meeting with regards to whether or not they are banning people from owning vaporizers. If they're really trying to ban personal possessions, I'd ask around or talk to a lawyer. That, from my understanding of the laws where I live, is illegal.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
I think I would kill myself if I ever have to rent again. Had a place once with a nosey landlord who owned a few duplex type apartments. I would come home from work and catch him in my apartment rummaging through my stuff. He would then pretend he was "fixing a lightbulb" or some BS. ...... me off to no end.

As for OP, vape on. Open a window, turn on a fan, and vape. Screw the ANTZ ......s.

As bad as it sounds, if you're renting, then I believe they have the power to ban vaping on the premises. It sucks, but I do believe that a landlord can do that just as they can ban smoking or pets.

A landlord can only ban smoking if it's in the lease at the time of signing. At the time of signing the agreement, they can make whatever restrictions they want (excluding racial, gender, religious reasons) and if you sign it, you're bound to that agreement. However, after you sign a lease, they cannot "update" it with new restrictions. They can make modifications to the contract only at the time of lease renewal. Or at least that's my understanding.

Elyptic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY
A landlord can only ban smoking if it's in the lease at the time of signing. At the time of signing the agreement, they can make whatever restrictions they want (excluding racial, gender, religious reasons) and if you sign it, you're bound to that agreement. However, after you sign a lease, they cannot "update" it with new restrictions. They can make modifications to the contract only at the time of lease renewal. Or at least that's my understanding.

Good point. That makes sense, and I believe coincides with what I've experienced. The problem is, eventually the lease will need to be renewed and I'm sure a "no vaping" clause would be in there if that's the intent.

Slightly different, but I had a landlord tell my friend (a police officer) that they had a no weapons policy and so he couldn't bring his sidearm (police issued, fully permitted) into the apartment. Let me say that didn't hold up well when challenged. He moved out of there now, but some landlords will try all sorts of weird stuff until someone sets them straight.

Bits scrambled by Tapatalk...

Good point. That makes sense, and I believe coincides with what I've experienced. The problem is, eventually the lease will need to be renewed and I'm sure a "no vaping" clause would be in there if that's the intent.

Slightly different, but I had a landlord tell my friend (a police officer) that they had a no weapons policy and so he couldn't bring his sidearm (police issued, fully permitted) into the apartment. Let me say that didn't hold up well when challenged. He moved out of there now, but some landlords will try all sorts of weird stuff until someone sets them straight.

Bits scrambled by Tapatalk...

Yes...it could be a problem when it comes time to renew the contract. Until then, I wouldn't think the OP has anything to worry about, and I believe he/she should stand up for his/her rights- just because it's a government sponsored dwelling, doesn't mean the OP doesn't have renter's rights.

And an earlier post mentioned that you can't smoke in a government housing (whish is more than likely on the lease), however I would think that there is a valid argument there on the basis that with vaping there is no smoke involved.

That's crazy about your friend! The landlord was infringing on constitutional rights there. That's a big no-no! Glad it didn't work.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Contrary to smoking, vaping does not leave a tell-tale odor identifiable to an ecig. If asked if you vape say "yes" but don't do it in the building. It's not illegal to own an ecig, nor have ejuice. Just don't do it in public where you live.

Good luck and hope you're able to live free of government constraints soon.

Kennebarton

Dec 28, 2014
Illinois, USA
Untitled.jpg

Here is part of the notice

View attachment 418508

Here is part of the notice

Did you sign a lease agreement when you moved in? And if so, what is stated about the above subject?

I would think terms of the agreement cannot be "updated" anytime the owner feels it's warranted. Any new restrictions that are not on the original lease agreement you signed cannot be added until you renew the agreement (sign a new contract).

Vatigu

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Toronto, On, Canada
Did you sign a lease agreement when you moved in? And if so, what is stated about the above subject?

I would think terms of the agreement cannot be "updated" anytime the owner feels it's warranted. Any new restrictions that are not on the original lease agreement you signed cannot be added until you renew the agreement (sign a new contract).
The notice says "Lighted" No e-cigarettes are "lighted"
I wish them luck getting a judge to agree to evict you with verbiage like that.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
The notice says "Lighted" No e-cigarettes are "lighted"
I wish them luck getting a judge to agree to evict you with verbiage like that.

They covered their rear if you read the very last sentence.

However, it did not state that you couldn't have the device in your living space. Just that you cannot carry it around "lit". :lol: Loophole right there. People that just don't understand how these work. :facepalm:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
OP did you sign a lease agreement? I would think this move by them would be changing the terms of the lease. That could only be done at time of renewal. If it's anything like a regular residential lease agreement anyways.

That will be true in this case and all that buys the OP is a matter of months until the anniversary date of his lease renewal comes up. At that point - subsidized housing or not - the terms of the lease can be modified and you either accept the new terms or move out. (More to follow.)

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
They covered their rear if you read the very last sentence.

What sentence, the one about "electrical smoking devices"? 1: It's not a "smoking" device since there is no smoke, and 2: even if it were an "electrical smoking device," it's still not a "lighted electrical smoking device" if you don't light it on fire. (Make sure to disable the LED on your fire button, lest they try to get you with "it's got a light on it, therefore it is 'lighted'.")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread