My Observations with Single and Dual Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkeller717

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Lancaster, pa, usa
I've just got into rebuilding coils on a Octopus single and a Trident Clone double. I've had good success with both. The resistance I aim for is 1.8 to 2.0 ohms with #32 Kathnal both for single and double coils. I've been hitting the targeted resistance dead on. Watching many you tube videos and personally being instructed by an experience builder has really helped me start right. Plus I have an electronics background, so understanding the physics of Ohms law is easy. My APV is a Seigeli mini-Zmax.

I've noticed that with the single coils I get very good flavor comparable to what I would get from a Kanger mini-protank2 or Ts3. I run the same power of 8 watts with the single coils as compared to the tanks. I run about 11-12 watts for the dual coil setup to get the same effect even though the resistance is 1.8 to 2.0 ohms. Much more air flow is needed with the dual coils because more surface area is vaping the liquid. I've noticed that air flow is important here. With the dual coils, I have to mostly "lung draw" since more air is needed. Of course more vapor is produced.

I'm wondering about something though. There seems to be a longer lag time or "hysterious" in heating the coils up to vape temperature with the dual coils since there is more surface area to heat, hence more liquid to heat. Am I correct with this? The resistance of course is the same. But to heat the more surface area of wire and more volume of liquid, a higher wattage is needed for dual coils. Again, is my observation correct?

Personal preference for me is to do single coils, use less liquid, less air draw and get same great taste, plus longer battery life. I like rebuildable atomizers due to the convenience of quick change overs of different flavors throughout the day when using cotton wicks. In the long run, I save money rebuiding coils than just buying coil heads.

What are other peoples observations? Are they similar to mine?

Dave

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I tried dual coils (in drippers) and went back to single. Dual coils killed my batteries much faster, and having to use a dripper with a larger deck and cap reduced the flavor, which I care about more than the amount of vapor.

Out of the IGO-W, Chitriot, Chimbus, and Forge Clone I found I used the single-coil Forge clone the most (I think it's a 19mm deck), I just hated how the cap would rotate frequently blocking the airflow. I finally just sprang for an eBaron Dripper Pro and although it is not easily rebuildable and I can't use my preferred 1/16" ceramic wick rope in it (at least until I figure out how), it's exactly what I wanted. Perfect draw, good capacity, warmer vape at lower voltage than with a dual coil, concentrated flavor, and plenty of vapor. It was not cheap (compared to a clone) but I'm not feeling I need to keep trying out different drippers chasing the right one anymore. I may still pick up an IGO-S for flavor tasting with ceramic, but that's it.

So anyway, yes, your observations seem to be in line with mine. :)

dkeller717

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Lancaster, pa, usa
Thanks for the replies and comments.

Singles for me also....All the things you pointed out seem true for me as well. At this point single long micro coil at .8-1ohm gives me everything I had with the duals but seems like better battery life with the singles.

StrappedKaos, what mech mod are you using for you sub-ohm micro coils? Sub-ohming is something I'll look at further down the road.

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
I prefer to use a macro coil, ie; 2mm internal diameter wound on a 2mm machine thread bolt. Wire is spaced just enough to not carbonize too badly the juice and yet they fire like a freight train. As long as the coil begins it's initial glow from the center out you're good.

6-7 wraps yield a 1.5-1.6 ohm coil using 30 ga. Kanthal A-1 wire. For my Taifun and Kayfun I use a 4/40 brass machine thread bolt and 28 ga. Kanthal A-1 with 6 wraps and get about 1.2 ohms.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I guess with such a thin wire dual coils aren't to bad with a vv device as you stated, but really shine with a thicker wire gauge and a mod that can push them. also you stated that the flavor your getting is about the same as a protank, well one of the reasons people get into these rebuildables is for better flavor. when done correctly the flavor from a dripper should be a lot better then the flavor from a kanger. variables that make this so are a thicker wire gauge with enough power to run them, properly done micros with cotton like wicks. position of the coil in relationship to the airholes also makes a big difference as well and just overall coil build. it takes a lot of time experimenting on various aspects of these rebuildables, but eventually you will wind up with a set up that is significantly better in flavor and vapor production then a pre built device.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I'm wondering about something though. There seems to be a longer lag time or "hysterious" in heating the coils up to vape temperature with the dual coils since there is more surface area to heat, hence more liquid to heat. Am I correct with this? The resistance of course is the same. But to heat the more surface area of wire and more volume of liquid, a higher wattage is needed for dual coils. Again, is my observation correct?
All else being equal, a dual coil will require twice as much power as single coil to heat up as quickly and reach the same temperature. It isn't really the surface area that causes this, its the volume of wire. Just remember that there is nothing magic about dual coils, you literally have to supply the power to fire two 4 ohm coils. You get the same effects and performance by running thicker wire. More power needed to heat up more wire volume, more surface area which creates more vapor and flavor.

By all means, if 8 watts on a single coil gives you satisfaction, stick with it. Its easy, safe, and efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread