My Vaping Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

QLogic

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Michigan
First I would like to thank everyone here for for all the awesome information I've gathered from this site.

I was a pack a day smoker for over ten years. About 3 years ago I heard of ecigs and purchased a cig-a-like kit from vapor4life. I loved it and successfully quite analogs for 10mo but there was a lot of things I wasn't very happy with so I ended up backsliding to analogs. Two months ago I stumbled upon the vapor4life site again and ordered the dail-a-volt. I am pretty happy with it other than the fact the battery takes over 10hr to charge leaving me very unstable in the mean time. I've been looking at apv's and I think the Vamo may be the best choice for me but before I order I would like to know your experience with it or if there is something better out there. Please include battery life, vapor production, longevity, ect. I'm on a budget of $100 and under with atomizer and batteries.

Last edited:

wandawag

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
jacksonville, florida
welcome to ecf...and congrats on going back to vaping. i will leave your equipment questions up to the ones that know better than i. i just know i could not deal with charging a battery for 10 hours...that doesn't sound right to me. lots of great people, info and support here.....so stay with the vaping...you'll do fine!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Welcome to ECF! :thumbs:

With your budget, I'd recommend a couple of:

Either Vision Spinner or Joytech Twist ego batteries, with a charger and usb/wall unit converter.

A 5-pack of cartomizers (2.5-3.0 ohm, single coil), and a drip tip (mouthpiece). How To Fill A 510 Cartomizer (Electronic Cigarette) - YouTube

A mini vivi nova tank. HOW TO FILL YOUR VIVI NOVA TANK - YouTube

All of the above can be purchased from one vendor: AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | Your one stop shop!

The below video tutorial is for the Vision Spinner, but is applicable to the Joytech Twist, too, as they are very similar:

QLogic

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Michigan
Thanks for the warm welcoming! The dail-a-volt charging issue is so annoying. If it wasn't for the fact I now think cigarettes are the smelliest things on the face of the earth I would have gone back to smoking analogs weeks ago. I also purchased N300 iGo Manual Crystal Clear Kit when I bought the v4l product because I was concerned about the size of the dail-a-volts battery. Now i could careless how big the battery is. Ive only used the n300 a handful of times. The vapor production is awful. I guess what I'm looking for is a MOD with removable/rechargeable batteries.

Last edited:

jvail52

Unregistered Supplier
Apr 13, 2013
fort collins, co
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier - Forum Rules

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The vapor production is awful. I guess what I'm looking for is a MOD with removable/rechargeable batteries.
Fair enough, and an even wiser choice in my opinion. Now more questions.

Size: How important? Will you want to carry the battery device in a front shirt pocket or side pants pocket, or would you use something even larger (for use with a larger and longer lasting battery)? Mod size is often a reflection of the size of the battery used within. Larger batteries = longer use per battery. Or, you can go with a smaller size mod, and carry one or two small sized replaceable batteries to last out a day.

Easy portability at the expense of battery use vs longer battery life in a larger mod.

BB.jpg or silver bullet and 3.5ml DCT tank.jpg

Form factor: tube/flashlight style or a gripper/box mod style?

gripper_&_knucklehead.jpg gripper.jpg gripper box mods.

One voltage or variable voltage option? Variable voltage in a mod can increase the price because of the boost circuit processor, but can be well worth the extra money. You can adjust the heat of the vaporizer to each flavor you use, allowing them to taste better.

Price: What's the absolute most you are willing to pay for a battery device, charger, and a couple of batteries? To justify cost of a startup mod, consider how much you wasted per month on cigarettes.

Last edited:

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
Hi and welcome to the forum and vaping in general!

Everyone will have their own opinion and not all of them are bad ones. Here is mine! I've been a VERY happy Vamo V2 (upgraded gold spring, red grommet in the top for flattop batteries) user for a month now. I bought the chrome finish one for under $40 and it does everything I want (except the drip well doesn't come off for easy cleaning). It's been dropped on concrete and asphalt more than once and falls off my desk to table every other day. I wouldn't hammer nails with it but it's stood up to an amazing amount of abuse including a bath in 50/50 liquid when a bottle I was filling from decided to pop the drip top off of it!

Buy a VAMO V2 from the same place I did:
VAMO Variable Volt/Watt APV V2
Use coupon code "VaporJoes11Percent" to bring the price down to $36.47 (for the chrome one).
Shipping is only .99 cents for Vapebash! (Limited time only)

Buy two or more of these, use code "TENOFF" to bring the price down to $9.53 per pair. Free shipping but may take seven days to get to you (from China). Also available from Amazon, etc. One of the best batteries you can buy.:
$10.03 Panasonic CGR18650CH Rechargeable 2250mAh 3.7V 18650 Lithium Batteries 2-pack - authentic cells / 2-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Buy the Nitecore Intellicharge I2 v2. Excellent charger. I would normally recommend the four bay I4 for only a few dollars more but there seems to be a shortage of them. Shop around for the four bay if you like. Two bay for $18.25, use code "ROCKINROBIN" to save 5%.:
http://www.electronicstix.com/collections/mod-battery-chargers/products/nitecore-intellicharge-i2

Here is the four bay (same charger, different label) for just under $25:
Amazon.com: Sysmax Intellicharge I4 V2 Universal 4 Channel Li-Ion Ni-Cd Ni-MH Smart Charger: Everything Else

Free shipping there (electronicstix, where I linked the two bay charger) on orders over $20 so you might as well consider your tank/clearo/carto options too and/or some juice to get the free shipping. Remember the code "ROCKINROBIN" to save 5%! ElectronicStix.Com · Welcome

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

QLogic

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Michigan
Currently I carry my ecig in my front pants pocket. I really like the tube form vs the gripper mods although I wouldn't mind getting a grip mod sometime in the future. I defaintly only want a vv mod. I noticed with my dail-a-volt I only only gap at 4.0 or higher to get the taste I like. Only thing I'm confused about is the difference between vv & vw? Also I forgot to mention I am using the v4l dual coil tank. I like the convince of not having to fill it often but I like the taste of the clearomizer that came with the n300. It seems the tank takes away from the taste of the juice and unless I'm vaping something with a strong taste everything taste the same. I spent close to $200 on what I have right now so the wife is giving me a strict $100 limit on the upgrade. Which I think is ridiculous seeing I used to spend that in two weeks on analongs but hey gotta keep the Mrs happy

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
Currently I carry my ecig in my front pants pocket. I really like the tube form vs the gripper mods although I wouldn't mind getting a grip mod sometime in the future. I defaintly only want a vv mod. I noticed with my dail-a-volt I only only gap at 4.0 or higher to get the taste I like. Only thing I'm confused about is the difference between vv & vw?

Here is probably more than what you might ever want to know about the differences between VV and VW:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-voltage-vs-variable-wattage-better-why.html

hvac999

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Welcome, I'll put my plug in for the SmokTech vv Gripper. It is adjustable from 3-6 volts. It also shows you the device ohms and remaining voltage. I use the Panasonic hybrid 18650 batteries, 2250mah, and can get a day and a half to two days on that battery. You would buy two batteries so you will always have a working Gripper.
Variable Volt Gripper

Dvx67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2013
Lexington, KY
The Vamo is a solid device. My only complaint with it is the physical size. It's huge. But it works well and is budget friendly. Overall I am impressed with it. Vapor production will depend on what you attach to it.

If you are going to get a MOD, make sure you get the right batteries and you should also get a good charger. I have a nitecore intellicharger i4 and it will charge a 18650 battery in under 2 hours.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
Oktyabr is this the same as the one you have linked? I created an account with them and it brought the price of the Vamo (body only) down to $26 and the kit is only $33.

VV650 VAMO V2 (body only) eGo APV - VaporBreak

That LOOKS like the same one but without seeing the spring and the grommet at the top of the battery tube there is no way to be sure. The only one I have first hand experience with is the one from exhalevapors. It might cost you a bit more ($36) but at least you are dealing with an American distributor so you'll end up with much faster shipping and ease of return if something is wrong with your order. VaporBreak is in China and while many here have had good experiences with them I prefer to deal with American vendors when it comes to things with moving pieces like the VAMO.

As for size many like to use the VAMO in "stealth" mode with a single 18350 and without the extension tube. I always run a single 18650 (I have the panasonics I linked on the last page) and it carries quite nicely. YMMV.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have only 3 variable voltage devices: a Provari and two gripper-type box mods intended more for my out-and-about use. I never saw the need for variable wattage.

A variable wattage device is user set at a particular watts level that you prefer to vape at, and no matter what delivery device you put on it of differing resistance (low, standard, or high), the processor will recognize it and make the calculations necessary to fire it at the wattage you set.

With a variable voltage device, you would need to make that adjustment manually yourself with different resistance delivery devices. All of my delivery devices are of the same resistance so I don't have the need for that feature.

As far as VV-VW PV's, there are not many available for under $100. The Vamo comes to mind. VAMO V2 MOD APV Variable Voltage Variable Wattage

Can be used with single 18650, single 18350 or two 18350 batteries (stacked). Battery voltage and atomizer resistance meters built in. $46 without batteries or charger.
___

Lambo (Lava Tube) body only $55; kit with charger and batteries $80. Also has voltage and atomizer resistance meters built in.
Lambo 4.0 Variable Voltage E-Cig MOD w/ Resistance Checker

___

Mini M-Vari is variable voltage only; $70 for the kit, $40 for the body only. Built in atty and voltage meters. *MINI* MVari Variable Voltage MOD
___

M-Vari Stick is variable voltage only; $70 for kit, $40 for body only. Built in atty/voltage meters. MVari-Stick Variable Voltage Mod
___

There are likely others in your price range. I just chose a commonly used vendor to show what might be available to suit your expectations.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
Yes, myvaporstore.com is a very good vendor too, IMHO. I buy lots of stuff from them. They have one of the best twist/spinner combo kits on the internet (in case anyone is shopping for such a kit): http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

They also include a 30 day guarantee where many others are only half that.

Use the coupon code "H8EMZ" for 10% off your purchase*.

*Not valid on ZMAX, Lambo 4, Ego-C Twist and some others, add to cart for details. Must be entered during checkout. Valid from 4/1/2013 - 4/30/13 11:59PM EST.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
So let's say I bought the vamo. What would be the best "thing" to attach to it for awesome vapor production and taste? Also is it so huge that it would be uncomfortable in my pocket? I'm no longer self conscious about the strange stares from people bit I don't want to inconvience myself with its size.

You'll quickly learn that there are two things in vaping that people are *very* subjective about; different juices and what they are vaped out of.

I have a collection of things all the way from CE5 "stardust" clearomizers (aka "redux" clones), vivi novas and nova "minis", low resistance bridgeless atomizers, rebuildable dripping atomizers (I like the Smok RDA "Octopus") and a genesis style AGA-T2 with a stainless steel wick. Others swear by "cartomizers", tanks with disposable cartridges in them, others like dual coil devices... then you have "bottom coil" like the Kanger products and the "top coil" like the vivi novas. Each one has it's own fan club. I don't personally prefer the cart style because I like to think of myself as being frugal when it comes to vaping... I'd prefer to rewick a silicone vivi/stardust style head myself for a few pennies than throw away a cart every so often at $1+ each, but each to their own as they say....

I think I get the best vapor and flavor from my drippers like the RDA, closely followed by my AGA-T2. The Vivis are nice because they are relatively cheap, rebuildable, hold a lot of juice and perform fairly well too. My stardust knockoffs only hold about 1.5ml each, and should really be refilled before they get too low, but can actually outperform my larger vivi's in flavor and vapor with the right juice. I've been curious to try a Kanger bottom coil like the T3 or even a protank but be advised that to use these "bottom coil" devices on a vamo you will have to spend the extra $2-5 for an ego/510 adapter... the drip well on the vamo isn't large enough to seat one of these properly by itself (exhalevapors has the same one for $2.50):
510 to [eGo] Adapter

I'm a fairly large guy, 5'10 and 200+lbs, and I wear relaxed fit (not skin tight!) blue jeans most of the time. I carry my vamo (in it's long 18650 mode) in my front pants pocket quite comfortably, even with my AGA-T2 on top of it... the largest attachment I own... although generally I prefer to carry it in either an inside coat pocket or maybe the button close breast pocket of a heavy shirt too, for ease of access. There are companies that make lanyards and holsters for them too.

Attached is a photo of my Vamo V2 in 18650 mode next to one of my wife's 1300mah Vision Spinners for size comparison. That's a CE5 clone on top of hers and I run them quite nicely on the Vamo too.

IMG_1766.jpg

Vamo V2 in 18650 mode with the AGA-T2 on top:

P4060016.jpg

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So let's say I bought the vamo. What would be the best "thing" to attach to it for awesome vapor production and taste? Also is it so huge that it would be uncomfortable in my pocket? I'm no longer self conscious about the strange stares from people bit I don't want to inconvience myself with its size.
If I were you, I would get at least one Vivi Nova clearo tank. Easy to fill and use. Wouldn't be my first choice as a more experienced vapor, but every vapor should have a decent backup for the more difficult juice delivery devices, and a Vivi Nova could be that for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYyHCEElcsU

The best "thing" that I have been using almost exclusively for several months has been cartotanks. Slight learning curve involved. Key is proper pre-filling of the cartomizer and assembly of the tank. Proper draw technique is also important to avoid dry hits or flooding issues. These have become very dependable and consistant for me, and provide the best flavor out of all the other devices that I have used. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

I've only been using a couple of rebuildable tanks (AGA T2) for a few weeks now. Potentially these can be a game-changer, but they have a fairly high learning curve, and so far mine have been inconsistant in performance. Granted, I am still a student in their use. I would not get one of these thinking it would be my primary device right out of the box. There is a lot of trial and error in building your own wicks and coils and getting these to work to perfection can be frustrating. You need a backup delivery device if using these in my opinion, but definitely get one to play around and learn with when you have the time (and patience).

AGA T review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iw-Q9JtNkc

AGA T tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuYJeoS6Fc

Just my :2c:

Last edited:

QLogic

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Michigan
Vamo V2 in 18650 mode with the AGA-T2 on top:

View attachment 199201

I think that looks freaking epic!

So after all of your awesome advise and checking some YouTube reviews I've just added the Vamo and a vivi nova tank to my shopping cart. I decided to go with Vapor break because they have a good track record from what I've seen and the price is unbeatable. I've bought things from china before (actually the phone I'm writing this on is a Note II clone from a Chinese site) so I'm not to worried about it. I did add EMS shipping though. With shipping, the Vamo kit, Nova Tank and 5 extra atomizers for the tank my total was $63.21 which leaves me with room for more toys! What else should I look at? I want one of those AGA-T2's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread