billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Just wondering: did any of you get to try the original Ruyan RY4 when it was around and if so, which current-production juice comes closest to it?

I'm not even sure if I'm an RY4 guy (I've tried a couple or three, thought they were OK but not vapegastic) but considering the now-legendary status of the original formula, I wish I could have sampled it.

Just for the record, RY4 was not designed to replicate Ruyan 4. It was sort of in the same direction as a tobacco blend with some sweeter non-tobacco flavorings, but it was its own creature from its spontaneous and ad hoc beginning. The juice that Ludo (a Janty owner) and the Dekang flavor chemist created that day in 2007 in the lab of a Dekang production facility was named Ruyan 4---which was then shortened to RY4---as an homage to the Ruyan Company for its pioneering efforts in ecigs. The "4" part of RY4 came from the fact that the juice that Ludo and the Dekang chemist settled on as "perfect" was the fourth version they tried that day.

And no, I wasn't vaping back when Ruyan 4 existed, so I never vaped any of that legendary juice. I've read posts by one or two vapers who had it way back when, but Ruyan 4 was pretty much gone from the scene by 2010, as the juice market grew and Ruyan moved toward hardware only and quit making the original four juices in their line-up (Ruyan 1-4).

OK, now we're getting into thread hijack territory. I'm going to stop...

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Question for my colleagues and mentors in La Cosa NETstra...

Why the heck is a good RY4 so damn addicting??? I mean, it has a funky taste, a syrupy thing, you know what I mean. We all know it. We vape it and say "hmmm, interesting, good, but I don't know..." then just start reaching for it time and again until we crave it day and night. What IS it about a great RY4 that drives us to this madness?

I'm sorry, but you'll have to leave me off your "us" list. I don't like RY4's. :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Just for the record, RY4 was not designed to replicate Ruyan 4. It was sort of in the same direction as a tobacco blend with some sweeter non-tobacco flavorings, but it was its own creature from its spontaneous and ad hoc beginning. The juice that Ludo (a Janty owner) and the Dekang flavor chemist created that day in 2007 in the lab of a Dekang production facility was named Ruyan 4---which was then shortened to RY4---as an homage to the Ruyan Company for its pioneering efforts in ecigs. The "4" part of RY4 came from the fact that the juice that Ludo and the Dekang chemist settled on as "perfect" was the fourth version they tried that day.

And no, I wasn't vaping back when Ruyan 4 existed, so I never vaped any of that legendary juice. I've read posts by one or two vapers who had it way back when, but Ruyan 4 was pretty much gone from the scene by 2010, as the juice market grew and Ruyan moved toward hardware only and quit making the original four juices in their line-up (Ruyan 1-4).

OK, now we're getting into thread hijack territory. I'm going to stop...

Nothing wrong with a little side topics.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
Question for my colleagues and mentors in La Cosa NETstra...

Why the heck is a good RY4 so damn addicting??? I mean, it has a funky taste, a syrupy thing, you know what I mean. We all know it. We vape it and say "hmmm, interesting, good, but I don't know..." then just start reaching for it time and again until we crave it day and night. What IS it about a great RY4 that drives us to this madness?

I don't think it's addicting as much as it is fascinating. RY4 has an interesting history and there are different versions of how it was created. The juice also has so many variations; Bill's outstanding thread uses Classic and Custom, while I generally use Classic, Modern, and NET. There are so many RY4s out there, that I find it fun to try different takes on the formula.

If I'm not mistaken, Sludge has raisin notes in it

I definitely get raisin from Gollum/Sludge. :)

scand

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2012
Newnan, GA
Thanks for all the great responses guys. Definitely sounds like some Smooth Criminal and Southern Gentleman is in order, and the mountainoakvapors flavors as well.

If I'm not mistaken, Sludge has raisin notes in it, and I'm trying to think of any raisin tobaccos I have come across while reading the threads here and searching vendor sites. I will see what I can find as far as that.

I have not had many tobaccos yet, though I have about 10 steeping right now (GeJ, W2V, Ahlusion, and VS) and more in the order next list. I do know some tea vapes can mimic tobaccos, though I think (as far as my experience tells me) they are milder and lower-key than many tobaccos. I mention teas because they can be "grassy" and "smokey" as well, like Huntsman. For example, I have an Ahlusion Pomegranate Black Tea with a grassy note, but also a definite pomegranate note. I would say from what I have read the Wild Wood series of Ahlusion tobaccos would be a good place to start for this flavor profile. I'm hoping they offer the plain Wild Wood soon without any fruit infusion. I hear this is a smokey flavor, if you like that component.

I will keep my eyes open for any mention of similarities of other juices to Huntsman or Sludge and post here if I find anything on the threads or vendor sites.

I was actually a smokeless tobacco user, not an analog smoker. My friends and I think that Sludge tastes like Levi Garrett chewing tobacco. I don't really taste the plum in it, but do the raisin and leathery taste. It's too awesome you said leathery too, I don't tell people I get that flavour/indication as they would think I was crazy lol. I too like hot teas and wouldn't mind some black teas. Right now HHV only offers green tea infused stuff, but it is spot on. I also need to branch out to some clove stuff!

PG carries flavor better than VG. So for a good flavor and vapor compromise is 70PG/30VG. That way you get flavor, TH and vapor. If you want less TH try for 60/40 or 65/35 if the vendor offers it. I know Wlad at Ahlusion will do that.

I get raisins from HHV Sludge. Not for me. But most of their other NETs are delicious. Johnson Creek, otoh, isn't that good, imo. You might like it though.

For some weird reason, I get more flavour from 60/40 than 70/30...I don't know why. Then again my taste buds were fried as I quit dipping for good 2 weeks and a day ago. Thus, I vaped like a Norfolk Southern freight train from the time I got up till I went to bed, and was on 70/30 at the time. I just can't do fruity flavours, at all. Thought I would like grape, when HHV finally released the grape, I just couldn't dig it like I thought I would

TheCatsPajamas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
San Diego
www.envisionvapor.com
I've missed you guys, been doing a lot of reading through the thread in the last few days. Good to see Luce is back. Seems like I've missed quite a bit. Just put in an order with Clay, looking forward to trying his juice. Love to see people starting their own ventures! Also not sure if it has been brought up but while in AZ on business last month I found a company called Indigo Vapor that makes some nice Nets. They have one called Kick Back that I've been enjoying quite a bit. Well just wanted to drop by and say hi!

Sent from my Minds Eye

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
I've missed you guys, been doing a lot of reading through the thread in the last few days. Good to see Luce is back. Seems like I've missed quite a bit. Just put in an order with Clay, looking forward to trying his juice. Love to see people starting their own ventures! Also not sure if it has been brought up but while in AZ on business last month I found a company called Indigo Vapor that makes some nice Nets. They have one called Kick Back that I've been enjoying quite a bit. Well just wanted to drop by and say hi!

Sent from my Minds Eye

Hey hey TCP! You may be happy to know that I'm a 100% NET user now. See what you started?! :)

Good to see you pop in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
while in AZ on business last month I found a company called Indigo Vapor that makes some nice Nets. They have one called Kick Back that I've been enjoying quite a bit.

Cat'sPJs,

Unless something has changed, Indigo Vapor's tobacco blends are all synthetics. They don't have any NETs.

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
Raisin, Coconuts, and bananas...paging Dr Freud. Man, what a trinity of NASTINESS. An Axis of BLECH.

I get plum pudding from Sludge. :)

Yummy coconuts . . . I keep waiting for a great coconut NET . . .

I've also been emailing Wlad about his Jungle Juice -- he says it has a very similar tobacco base to the one used in JGBlend (but a bit lighter, so the Nanner really SHINES! :banana::banana::banana:).

I'll be getting Jungle Juice on my next A+ order, along with a sample of Bananas Foster! :p:evil:

:pervy::pervy::pervy::pervy:

Big Juicy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Placentia, CA
I get plum pudding from Sludge. :)

Yummy coconuts . . . I keep waiting for a great coconut NET . . .

I've also been emailing Wlad about his Jungle Juice -- he says it has a very similar tobacco base to the one used in JGBlend (but a bit lighter, so the Nanner really SHINES! :banana::banana::banana:).

I'll be getting Jungle Juice on my next A+ order, along with a sample of Bananas Foster! :p:evil:

:pervy::pervy::pervy::pervy:

Where is the "DONT LIKE" button?

:nah:

I swear you are my arch nemesis...the Catwoman to my Batman. Man I despise cats. Sorry, but I do. The banana vapes of the animal kingdom.

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.
Glad you guys do, cause it makes my head hurt to think about it lol. That's what I get for comparing. It really is best for me to stick to what I'm doing instead of attempting to figure out a way to improve things. I'm still willing to change, but I'll wait for the masses to agree on something and follow suit. For now my juices aren't spoiling and taste pretty damn good to me.

Those clones were tempting, especially at an under $15 compared to the nearly $45 I always saw the Evolv at. Glad I got pointed to this deal before settling for less. Gonna get a lot of use out of the Kick.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Check this out, Jerms. Watch the linked utube vid in the link.

Super T ~ Artisan Vaping

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.

Sent from my Minds Eye

Hey CPJ!!! How's the drip tip business going? Any new glass in the works?

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Cat'sPJs,

Unless something has changed, Indigo Vapor's tobacco blends are all synthetics. They don't have any NETs.

They've talked about trying it out, but they're all, as bh says, synths. I heard they're great though and easily NET-like in taste. Hell, any day I would prefer a great tasting synth over an okay tasting NET.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread