Need advice on how to refill carto tank w/ fill port in top ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

tank49

Verified Member
May 23, 2013
North Cali
i know it sounds like a dumb question at 1st glance...but....
the first time i did it all my remaining juice leaked out the bottom of the carto as soon as i removed the fill port screw - and i mean fast (i assume from the sudden change in vacuum in the tank??), i even had a syringe full of juice ready to go and sized correctly so as to allow air to escape thru the fill port while filling.

on the 2nd try i decided to seal off the carto from any air by holding the tank with 1 finger covering the bottom hole of the carto and a second finger covering the top of the carto (where the drip tip would go). this worked a lot better....but.... some liquid still got into the center air hole from inside the tank (enough to flood it) and i had to blow it out, i also injected a few drops of water into the air hole to try and help the juice clear out.

so my question is....what am i doing wrong??

this fill port was supposed to make refills easier, not harder. i am fairly new to vaping (4 months) but usually learn fast.

p.s. could not find anything anywhere on this.... Thanks in advance for any help.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
My tanks have just a top and bottom hole for the carto to fit through. When changing the carto to a new one, with eliquid still in the tank, I put masking tape on the top hole before I turn it over and remove the carto. It never leaks while I insert the new carto. When just refilling the tank, I use one of those "wedged" tank fillers, so again, no leaks.

tank49

Verified Member
May 23, 2013
North Cali
Fill the tank while its horizontal?

Sent from the 804

fill while horizontal-
that's what i did the 1st time (after cleanup) perhaps that's all that can be done w/o getting at least some juice in the air hole??
i did see Phil Busardo refill one with a fill port in the bottom cap, and he held it upside down & filled it while the punched hole in the carto was not submerged in juice. I might wanna think about getting one w/ a fill port in the side, rather than the top cap. thanks

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Don't know why you used water to clear the carto..

If the juice is running right out after/during filling, it sounds like you have a carto problem. There should not be a vacuum issue.

I use several X8 carto tanks here, uses 2 screws, one to hold the tank onto the carto and the other to fill the tank.

I place the carto in and screw it down, give it 2 shots of juice up the connection end, and a ring of juice into the top.
I then slowly fill through the fill port. If I fill too fast, more juice then needed is sucked into the carto filling, which I remove using either the bottle needle or a syringe.
Screw in the fill screw and put the drip tip on, attach it to my device (KTS, K100, Vamo) and vape away.

I use the single hole, laser-punched, standard res cartos. I have also use the pre-punched type, which I did not care for.

tank49

Verified Member
May 23, 2013
North Cali
@ SupplyDaddy

used water to try to clear all the juice from the airhole - perhaps a rookie move?

i dont think? i have a carto problem. they work fine b4 & after refill. got boge F16 2.8ohm SR XL flanged & SmokTech flanged DC 1.5ohm.

i had no trouble at all on the initial fill, only on the RE-fill. if you have X8 tanks that is similar setup, what's your procedure for a refill when the carto is already full but juice level in tank is getting low ?? that's what i'm having prob with.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
1st, I try real hard not to let the tank get below 1/3 full/empty (semantics..) Normally I do not remove it from the device I have it on, remove the drip tip, then remove the fill screw., tilt the tank to keep the fill hole up, and fill away. again removing any excess juice in the carto using the needled bottle or a syringe. Fill screw back in and drip tip back on and vape away.

The water in your carto just thins it all out too much, and if your not using distilled water.. ......

Again, I seem to have an easy time with this stuff.. My main tank for this is 100% VG, but most of my tanks have 60/40 PG/VG in them.
And, Again, I'm going to suggest you have a carto issue...

tank49

Verified Member
May 23, 2013
North Cali
1st, I try real hard not to let the tank get below 1/3 full/empty (semantics..) Normally I do not remove it from the device I have it on, remove the drip tip, then remove the fill screw., tilt the tank to keep the fill hole up, and fill away. again removing any excess juice in the carto using the needled bottle or a syringe. Fill screw back in and drip tip back on and vape away.

The water in your carto just thins it all out too much, and if your not using distilled water.. ......

Again, I seem to have an easy time with this stuff.. My main tank for this is 100% VG, but most of my tanks have 60/40 PG/VG in them.
And, Again, I'm going to suggest you have a carto issue...

I think i'm gonna stop cleaning carto airholes w/water (distilled btw) just blow the juice out & not worry about premature clogging.
Will thicken up some of my juices as soon as i get my VG nic in the mail & see if the thicker juice helps. My juices need a higher VG content anyway (and certainly dont need even small amounts of water getting into the carto). havent done a refill yet w/ the 1.5ohm Xl flanged Smoktech carto, i just put it in & filled the tank last nite. so will test your theory about carto problem when that tank needs its 1st refill, which may be a week since it's not my main vape flavor in it right now.

I think (so far at least) that the regular filling method is less complicated. Hope to be proven weong on that. Time will tell.
thanks for your input

ronjamesmajor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2013
Hanna, Alberta Canada
Seems like perhaps the water thing might have something to do with it?

I know with my AGR tank, when I fill it I do it horizontal, and before putting the top screw in, I kind of tip it upside down? then screw the screw in with the airholes in the carto sitting above the liquid. Sometimes I get a drop or two come out the fill screw hole, but that doesn't matter as I'm just putting a screw in there. If it's straight PG juice though be careful 'cause it might all flood out doing it that way.

I use 50/50 juice almost exclusively...

As for it leaking as soon as you remove the fill screw, My thinking is it was just too thin, two holes are too many, and it rained out... the motion of you releasing the screw maybe just popped an air bubble in the carto which was the only thing stopping it from evacuating juice, if that makes sense? It's hard to explain but I've had issues with the AGR when I first got it, where if I didn't set it up properly and knocked or jolted it just the right way it would evacuate the juice from the tank through the bottom of the carto. Usually all over my MVP.

Just some thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread