Need Help For First Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

kriskant

Jun 2, 2011
Tampa
I was hoping for some suggestions as to my first E cigarette purchase. I smoke Old Holborn and would say approx 25-35 a day, 50 for a bad day, so guessing I would need a high nicotine cartridge to start with! I have also read some give a better throat hit than others? This would be probably more important than a taste issue! I had been looking at a product called 901 but got confused slightly, as this I think it had a conversion thingy you can use with it? Any advice on a reputable website for purchase and what maybe suitable for me would be appreciated!

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
I just ordered two eGo-T (tank) starter kits from this place:

Esmokeyshack.com- Quality Electronic Cigarettes and Eliquid

They're going out of business, and have some pretty good prices. I picked them up for $40 each. The eGo is probably over-rated, but it's simple to use, reliable, and is a good introduction to the world of e-cigs. It's also 510 format (the thread type) so it has huge number of things it's compatible with, and if you later decide to upgrade, you don't lose your investment in atomizers, cartomizers, etc.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
901 to me has a somewhat airy hit - vapory but softer? Though I've never tried low resistance 901 though like you could use on a Riva 901.

To get the biggest hottest hit you need to skip the slim models totally and go with Ego or Riva 510 (see Liberty-Flights.com and click the 20% off in upper left first) (or Riva 901 if you want, but most people get 510 since 510 threading has much more stuff available for it and you can always put an adapter on and use a 901 atty if you want). These models have larger than 450mah batteries so they can use low resistance atomizers and cartomizers that are hotter and heat enhances the TH of nicotine. Typicially the batteries are 750mah or higher (750mah should be around 7.5 hours of moderate vaping, less with low resistance atomizers or cartomizers because those use up power much faster)

If you want the hottest slim ecig, then look at Vapor4Life.com manuals which are KR808D-1 (or the cheaper KR808D-1 manual kit at LiteCigUSA.net). Manuals give you better control of your hit, won't turn on accidentally in wind or vibration, and are harder to damage or kill with juice leaks. You can use blank or prefilled cartomizers and you top them off with eliquid. I can tell you some of Vapor4Life's 24mg WOW cartos are too much hit for some people. I found the 18mg WOWbacco (a cocoa tobacco) to be too big a hit for me. The standard batteries are 280mah or about 2.8 hours of moderate vaping, less if vaped heavily, more if vaped lightly.

If yo are often near AC power, you can use a passthrough and vape off power. Some passthroughs will work on a car lighter adapter but some may draw too much power (especially with LR attachments)

(done fixing typos I think - refresh)

Last edited:

kriskant

Jun 2, 2011
Tampa
901 to me has a somewhat airy hit - vapory but softer? Though I've never tried low resistance 901 though like you could use on a Riva 901.

To get the biggest hottest hit you need to skip the slim models totally and go with Ego or Riva 510 (see Liberty-Flights.com and click the 20% off in upper left first) (or Riva 901 if you want, but most people get 510 since 510 threading has much more stuff available for it and you can always put an adapter on and use a 901 atty if you want). These models have larger that 450mah batteries so they can use low resistance atomizers and cartomizers that are hotter and heat enhances the TH of nicotine.

If you want the hottest slim ecig, then look at Vapor4Life.com manuals which are KR808D-1 (or the cheaper KR808D-1 manual kit at LiteCigUSA.net). Manuals give you better control of your hit, won't turn on accidentally in wind or vibration, and are harder to damage or kill with juice leaks. You can use blank or prefilled cartomizers and you top them off with eliquid. I can tell you some of Vapor4Life's 24mg WOW cartos are too much hit for some people. I found thr 18mg WOWbacco (a cocoa tobacco) to be too big a hit for me.

Thanks a lot dormouse, ego 510 would be the best choice for me. Can I get more powerful battery with the kit if I would like to get more TH? I dont want to switch and come back to analog again when I will crave for more.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
No - there is one voltage of Ego batteries. You can get longer charge batteries but possibly not with the kits. Using low reistsance attys and cartos on EGo batteries will give almost identical heat to someone using a higher voltage mod and standard attys and cartos. The heat is the wattage - the ohms of the attachment relative to the voltage of the battery.

You have a LOT of choices with Ego kits - tanks or not, which size tube style, what carts and drip tip fit the tube style you got (and somebody said not to drip on a tank atty - so if you buy tank model then buy a regular atty too and a drip tip). I don't know if I recommend the tanks for hit - I don't own an Ego nor use tanks. My Riva 510 Lite Bundle I got there for under $30 w/ the discount is super simple - no array of options to get confused in.

But I know with Ego - if you get a T tank model you can also buy and use normal 510 or Ego atty w/ appropriate carts or drip tip on it or cartomizers which many people like (Boge - the 2.0 are the hot ones that use up charge faster). And if you buy a standard non-tank Ego than you can buy and use a tank atomizer and tanks on it it you want, as well as cartomizers. Whichever you buy, buying more stuff will let you try everything. I also know the bigger Ego-T atty can use small or large tanks and the smalelr Ego-T atty can only use small tanks. I think (but am not sure) if there are LR tank attys for more heat? Still - better get someone else to help you pick out what goes with what Ego-wise because I am clueless.

You will need eliquid and even though it may be harsh (100% PG) I recommend you buy at least 30ml (I think 24mg) with your kit and maybe some in 0mg in case you need to cut the level. And you could get a small bottle higher in case you need it. Then do shopping elsewhere (at real liquid vendors) for liquid.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I normally recommend a Riva 901 or 510 to new vapors. But based on what you smoked, I would suggest skipping right to one of the better devices especially since you have researched enough already to understand the importance of good throat hit, what I call "inhaled feel" of a cigarette. I would suggest either a good 5 volt PV such as the GLV2 from: Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid - Great Lakes Vapor or a good variable volt PV such as the Darwin from nhaler.com or the ProVari or the Infinity.

With these models you will get much better throat hit, battery life and consistency. I will also suggest starting out with 24mg nicotine strength based on what you smoked. You may want to even get some 36mg strength liquid as there are many who started out at this level.

In addition, you are not restricted to just 510 attys and cartomizers. I use the 801 or BE112 atty/cartos. You can get an adapter ($4) for 801's, 901's, 808's, etc. They all vape different.

Last edited:

Sluggo

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2011
Sweden
The Tornado or eGo is quite popular, and also has it's brother Tornado Tank, which has a tank with e-liquid instead of carts. This means you don't have to refill your liquid every other vape..
Haven't tried them myself, but am whaiting for my Tornado Tank to be delivered (my fist PV) from http://totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk
Many say that the Tornado is a good starter PV and gives good vapor and TH.
TW sells them piece by piece or st two diferent starterkits, Compact, and regular. The only difference is that compact contains less than the regular, but enough to get started.

They now also has a discount on Tornado Starter kits (red, £37,49): Wicked-TORNADO E-NIC or Electronic Nicotine Imitation Cigarette-RED

Good luck!

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I've been vaping since 2008 and still don't understand why one needs a newbie starter PV.
Why not skip that and go to the good stuff?
Your analog savings will quickly pay for ONE nice PV; some get the fever and buy several..

I recommend looking at pictures in database, pick one that looks good to you then watch some reviews.

Battery Tube e-Cig Mods | e-Cigarette Mods Database

DigitalSmokin83

May 4, 2011
Canada
I am still pretty new to vaping...about 3-4 months now, and i can say that i still really enjoy the cigarette style pvs. The size factor for me is huge as i am in construction and always have to be moving around and i wear a tool belt so i already have a lot of crap i have to carry with me. Don't get me wrong when im at home relaxing i switch between my 5v Passthrough or my Riva, but my hands on unit is a kr808. I recently bought the maxxfusion and batteries and they are totally awesome. Hands down best kr808d-1 cart/battery.

Sluggo

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2011
Sweden
...don't understand why one needs a newbie starter PV.
Why not skip that and go to the good stuff?...

I thought that getting a TT is just that? -Skipping the low-cost-crap and going for the better ones? -At least semi- better?
I've seen lots of reviews about the Tornado from experienced users and people saying that it's "much better than [lots of other quality PV's]"?

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I thought that getting a TT is just that? -Skipping the low-cost-crap and going for the better ones? -At least semi- better?
I've seen lots of reviews about the Tornado from experienced users and people saying that it's "much better than [lots of other quality PV's]"?

Sounds good.
Does it work w/ 1.6ohm dual coil?
I know 1.6 dual coil produces powerful dense vapor at 3.7v.
My other carts are good too; just less powerful.
Look at batt replacement costs also.

I'm sure the TT is 100 times better than my first ecig.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I am still pretty new to vaping...about 3-4 months now, and i can say that i still really enjoy the cigarette style pvs. The size factor for me is huge as i am in construction and always have to be moving around and i wear a tool belt so i already have a lot of crap i have to carry with me. Don't get me wrong when im at home relaxing i switch between my 5v Passthrough or my Riva, but my hands on unit is a kr808. I recently bought the maxxfusion and batteries and they are totally awesome. Hands down best kr808d-1 cart/battery.

I love my analog size ecig as well; look ma no hands!

In my view, analog size ecigs are for experienced vapers not first timers.

Can get good vapor and strong TH w/ right juice and carto.

Sluggo

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2011
Sweden
Does it work w/ 1.6ohm dual coil?

Sorry, I'm too new at this, Whats a Dual Coil?

Look at batt replacement costs also.
Eventually, you'll have to replace any battery, but the 510 (Tornado/Tornado Tank/Titan/[other?]) batteries has gotten very good reviews and should't run out too fast. -I actually settled for one batt (to reduce starting- costs) in my starterkit. For most other systems, I probably would have ordered one extra right away...
(Starting to sound like I'm getting paid to promote these TT's, but they are the ones I know the most of, they're the ones I've ordered...)

In my view, analog size ecigs are for experienced vapers not first timers.
IMO, it's just the opposite... -Most analog lookalikes has gotten many bad reviews (at least in comparsion to the Tornado).
-Batteries run out quickly, low taste, Plastic tastes and overall disapionting feelings over the analog lookalikes..
-BUT I've never tried one myself, so I could be completely off here.. If you do some research, look up reviews and spend some extra money, you might find something great.

Just DON'T buy cheap chinese copycats or gasstation PV's. -That rarely ends well.
My biggest tip to all newcomers is to do research, check reviews at Youtube and be prepared to spend a little more than you first wanted. -It'll be worth it (in most cases).
Also, if you sumble on to a webpage, that just doesn't look seroius, -Don't stay there! -Bad translations, miss- spellings, cluddery pages and low prices are all warning- signs to terrible quality.

I'm no pro...I haven't had all the sweet toys...But in the few months I've had a couple models and such, I would have to say that personally I think V4L's vapor king is way better than the Joye 510...Vapor production, battery life, flavor, TH...etc etc...I enjoy the VK, and the USB passthrough has saved me from burning out batteries all day..I got the XL batteries and I feel like that crazy lady from 202 dalmations...Deville or whatever...But I haven't actually had them die on me yet, I think it's a pretty sweet starter kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread