Need help with optimal settings for a new vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

caligirlINky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
hopkinsville, ky
hope im posting this in the right place. didnt see a thread for his setup under the specific models.

my hubby is trying for the 3rd time to get off the analogs. yesterday, he bought the new kanger topbox 75w mini and is using the nico atty with the temp at 300, wattage at 75. its very cool so its not so irritating on his throat til he gets used to it again. its just not giving out much vapor which i think is why hes already buying a pack of smokes... that and hes not using it nearly enough to keep his nicotine levels up.

anyone using this yet and could give me some suggestions on where his settings should be so hes getting enough vapor to feel like hes smoking but not so harsh on his throat that he has a coughing attack w each vape??

i use a pegasus aspire w kanger submini at 30w with the air holes wide open. i get lots of vapor and flavor but its not hot or harsh. like to get him to something similar on his setup.

Reactions: inspects

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
If he is having coughing fits make sure he is not inhaling like a cigarette, quickly. I can't tell you how many non-vapers try my setup and cough like mad till I ask them how they were inhaling.

Slow and steady wins the vape race. If that doesn't work then look at the equipment settings.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
Turn down the wattage and turn up the temp. When I use temp control I have it set to 50w and between 480 and 510 degrees, although I'm not familiar with his rig those perimeters have been solid on all of the mods and tc builds I have used
Ditto what @VaporDaze said.

Reactions: VaporDaze

caligirlINky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
hopkinsville, ky
i changed his settings to 50w at 400, 450, n 500. at first, i wasnt getting anything out of it so i thought the atty wasnt working.

seems to be ok now. much more vapor n i can barely feel it in my throat at 400 and 450 so im hoping it will be ok on his. this is the first time ive used one w temp control so i wasnt sure how that worked.

ill ask him if hes doing a straight inhale or holding it first. i use mine like when i smoked but ive been vaping for 3 yrs and quit the analogs the day i started vaping.

Reactions: Izan

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
i changed his settings to 50w at 400, 450, n 500. at first, i wasnt getting anything out of it so i thought the atty wasnt working.

seems to be ok now. much more vapor n i can barely feel it in my throat at 400 and 450 so im hoping it will be ok on his. this is the first time ive used one w temp control so i wasnt sure how that worked.

ill ask him if hes doing a straight inhale or holding it first. i use mine like when i smoked but ive been vaping for 3 yrs and quit the analogs the day i started vaping.

I inhale directly to my lungs but I do very slowly and gently, if I inhale like a cig it makes me cough something awful. I think that is a by product of being a long time "other" smoker and it feeling more natural.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
he bought the new kanger topbox 75w mini and is using the nico atty with the temp at 300, wattage at 75. its very cool so its not so irritating on his throat til he gets used to it again. its just not giving out much vapor which i think is why hes already buying a pack of smokes... that and hes not using it nearly enough to keep his nicotine levels up.
Yep, wattage down to the 30-50W range and ramp the temp up to the mid 400's and work up on the temp from there. That should boost the vapor production and give a more satisfying vape. It's a little typical when you're not getting the vapor to take harder/longer pulls, which really isn't the solution.

Very minimal TC primer: wattage setting determines how quickly the coil is going to reach the set temperature (ramp up time). Higher wattage settings decrease the ramp up time but will also have the mod pulsing the power to maintain the set temperature, which is not always a satisfying experience. Use a wattage somewhere in the low-to-mid range of what the mod supports. Temperature setting will control the amount of vapor and eventually whether the vapor is cool or moving into the warm range. Start with the temp set low in the 400 range and adjust up to get the desired vapor density and warmth.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
hope im posting this in the right place. didnt see a thread for his setup under the specific models.

my hubby is trying for the 3rd time to get off the analogs. yesterday, he bought the new kanger topbox 75w mini and is using the nico atty with the temp at 300, wattage at 75. its very cool so its not so irritating on his throat til he gets used to it again. its just not giving out much vapor which i think is why hes already buying a pack of smokes... that and hes not using it nearly enough to keep his nicotine levels up.

anyone using this yet and could give me some suggestions on where his settings should be so hes getting enough vapor to feel like hes smoking but not so harsh on his throat that he has a coughing attack w each vape??

i use a pegasus aspire w kanger submini at 30w with the air holes wide open. i get lots of vapor and flavor but its not hot or harsh. like to get him to something similar on his setup.

Perhaps the juice is too strong for the wattage being used.

Reactions: caligirlINky

caligirlINky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
hopkinsville, ky
Yep, wattage down to the 30-50W range and ramp the temp up to the mid 400's and work up on the temp from there. That should boost the vapor production and give a more satisfying vape. It's a little typical when you're not getting the vapor to take harder/longer pulls, which really isn't the solution.

Very minimal TC primer: wattage setting determines how quickly the coil is going to reach the set temperature (ramp up time). Higher wattage settings decrease the ramp up time but will also have the mod pulsing the power to maintain the set temperature, which is not always a satisfying experience. Use a wattage somewhere in the low-to-mid range of what the mod supports. Temperature setting will control the amount of vapor and eventually whether the vapor is cool or moving into the warm range. Start with the temp set low in the 400 range and adjust up to get the desired vapor density and warmth.
thanks for the info. since i hadnt used the nico/temp control before, i didnt know what to tell him about how to adjust it in conjuction with the wattage. i have heard alot of ppl say they like the subminis on as high a wattage as they can get. i like mine at 30w without any temp control.

caligirlINky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
hopkinsville, ky
I inhale directly to my lungs but I do very slowly and gently, if I inhale like a cig it makes me cough something awful. I think that is a by product of being a long time "other" smoker and it feeling more natural.
when ppl quit smoking, they usually cough more for 6-12 months until all that tar gets loosened up and comes out. i would assume vaping doesnt have any effect on that (meaning the coughing still gets worse and lungs clear out) since vaping doesnt add to or hold in the tar in the lungs.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
he got 6mg so it shouldnt be. i was actually afraid it was too weak for the amount of tobacco he smokes (2pks a day) but i also know anything much over 6 in the subohms is harsh.

thanks for the info. since i hadnt used the nico/temp control before, i didnt know what to tell him about how to adjust it in conjuction with the wattage. i have heard alot of ppl say they like the subminis on as high a wattage as they can get. i like mine at 30w without any temp control.
6mg in a sub-ohm may not be out of line at all for a 2PADS converting to vaping. Using TC may actually be a better route with higher nic content in sub-ohm.

When using TC, it's really all about the temp; the wattage being applied is secondary. The key with wattage in TC mode is finding a setting that keeps the power being applied relatively in a steady manner; think of the gas pedal in a car: you can go from light to light by smashing the pedal and jamming the brakes, or accelerating smoothly and cruising. Which is easier?

My settings using Topbox mini with Nickel coil:
TC Mode, 400F, I cannot change wattage as it automatically adjusts when I hit the vape button... Inhale slow and steady for atleast 5 secs... Airhole fully open... for me the flavor and vape production is fine... I am a newbie vaper and I did not experience coughing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread